PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Questiion

krj
07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
I visited with a business development organization recently here in town that provides information, services, mentoring to those who want to start new businesses. I want to open an outdoor gear and clothing consignment store (all high quality gear although possibility not the most recent generation of equipment). I live in a town that has a large outdoor community and receives many tourists throughout the year, but particularly during the summer. There is one very large and successful outdoor gear store in town that sells new equipment, as well as a couple of other smaller niche stores (fly fishing etc.) that also sells new gear. Most of these also provide rentals - boats, skiis, camping equipment etc. There are currently no stores that provide a place for people to buy and sell high quality used outdoor gear and clothing. Target market would include those who no longer use their gear and want to sell it, those who want to purchase gear to try out a new activity without paying the high prices for new gear, those who want to sell their current gear and upgrade, perhaps even those who just want to look the part without actually doing the activity. Also high quality clothing for various outdoor activities as well as clothing for those who prefer to keep their activities indoors at the busy local recreation center (folks who run, swim, elliptical, spin at the gym either full time or occasionally particularly through the winter).

After visiting the business development place with my business and marketing plan it became obvious that some of what I put together was good, but some needs rethinking. I am looking forward to working with this organization to pull everything together so that I can make this happen. I'll have other questions as I work through this, but right now I wanted to ask about marketing and get your thoughts.

What I have envisioned for marketing leading up to the opening was this:

1. Purchase water bottles with my store name and logo on them, insert a flyer in each bottle (containing store info, blog address, opening info, contact info, consignment details) and leave them at the local community center for patrons to take, with the outdoor recreation students at the community college one town over, with the students of the outdoor recreation club at the local high school, for each member of the local recreation district, to members of local outdoor clubs etc.

2. Purchase small number t-shirts with store name and logo on them and wear as a walking advertisement prior to opening, give to each of a handful of friends to do the same

3. Order truck magnets, store stationary, business cards, banners etc. all coordinated with shirts and bottles for a consistent message

4. Local community college lists local outdoor retail shops. Get listed on their website.

5. Post fliers on bulletin boards at local library, recreation center, grocery stores

6. Send emails to contacts college, boy scouts, ski club, bike club, running club, triathlon club introducing the store

7. Include fliers in goodie bags handed out at local tris, runs, bike events (maybe with a small discount coupon)

I included a budget for marketing initially for opening of $600 but the lady I discussed this with yesterday thought that that was way too small of a budget. She was pushing for me to purchase ads in the newspaper and ads are $200 per, for something a couple of columns wide. Larger ads of course will be larger $$$. I am financing this as a boot-strap operation and will not be taking out loans, and although she made many good points that I need to consider and research, I do question whether I need to purchase large ads in the local newspaper.

I can use a gun store that recently opened locally as an example. The only advertising that I ever saw from them were small ads in the classified section of the newspaper.

Gorilla marketing is one thing but I don't want to be too cheap, and do want to do this well, so I would appreciate your thoughts on this based on my marketing plans listed above and the type of business I want to start. Thanks.

krj
07-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Forgot to include establishing a business Facebook page

HandyMarketer
07-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi there,
I think you have some good ideas going on there, and I love the concept of the business.
600$ seems indeed to be a very low budget, how are you going to produce all the goodies that you mentioned at this price?

I would forget about newspaper ads, they are way too expensive for what little return they bring. I think your approach of leaving flyers and goodies in the local area is much better. Given that your business will be based on 2nd hand purchases I would put a lot of effort on networking and creating a community. I see that you added a Facebook page, that's a very good start and very little budget. Do you also plan to create a website?

For the launch, I would tie it with an event in your town if there is one. Either a tradeshow in which you can rent a small booth, or a sport event that you can sponsor.

Just to make sure I understand, is it just going to be 2nd hand apparel, or also new ones?

Maybe for the launch you could organise something similar to a "garage sale" but only for sport equipment. What I say might sound silly if I didn't get your business right, so feel free to detail more.

Not sure if this was helpful, but I'm happy to continue the discussion.

krj
07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi there,
I think you have some good ideas going on there, and I love the concept of the business.
600$ seems indeed to be a very low budget, how are you going to produce all the goodies that you mentioned at this price?

I would forget about newspaper ads, they are way too expensive for what little return they bring. I think your approach of leaving flyers and goodies in the local area is much better. Given that your business will be based on 2nd hand purchases I would put a lot of effort on networking and creating a community. I see that you added a Facebook page, that's a very good start and very little budget. Do you also plan to create a website?

For the launch, I would tie it with an event in your town if there is one. Either a tradeshow in which you can rent a small booth, or a sport event that you can sponsor.

Just to make sure I understand, is it just going to be 2nd hand apparel, or also new ones?

Maybe for the launch you could organise something similar to a "garage sale" but only for sport equipment. What I say might sound silly if I didn't get your business right, so feel free to detail more.

Not sure if this was helpful, but I'm happy to continue the discussion.

Christelle, thanks so much for the reply and the great feedback. It was very helpful.

You do have a handle on the concept. Most of the items in the store would be used and I hope that much of it will be consignment gear. I used to do adventure racing (a gear intensive, off road, team multi-sport) so have many items that I want to sell that belong to me. In addition, I have also been purchasing items over the past six months as I came across things at second hand stores, garage sales, Craigslist (whenever they were of good quality, stylish, in working order etc.) Truthfully I have quite a large stock and variety of gear and outdoor clothing stashed in boxes in the house, garage etc. which I think would be helpful in getting this thing off the ground and (hopefully) looking like a real store until the word gets out and consignments start to come in. I also thought that it would be nice to have things where I do not have to share the money with consignors. When I can afford it I would also like to buy some new items (closeouts from online outlet stores, impulse purchases like chapstick, key chains, power bars etc).

I also didn't think that newspaper ads were the way to go but the woman I met with seemed to think it was. It just seemed to me that specific marketing to specific groups (who will in effect be picking up an item with my logo and store name on it and will actually use it) made more sense, but this is new to me and I wanted to run it by people who have "been there and done that".

To some of your specific points and questions:

1. Water bottles: Mugs, Coffee Mugs, Shot Glasses, Wine Glasses, Beer Mugs, Champagne Glasses, Wedding Favors, Sports Bottles, Promotional Pens at Discountmugs.com (http://www.discountkeychains.com/view-product/WB20/wb20-20oz-super-value-sports-bottles/)

2. Stationary: I was going to go with Vista Print. They have a logo that is not being used locally, that contains a footprint/paddle/bike on it that would work perfectly, and that translates well onto business cards, t-shirts, postcards, banners etc. You can buy a coordinated package containing 250 business cards, a couple of large car door magnets, a banner, a stamp for under $100. They can also make t-shirts containing the same logo that are low cost, in addition to other door magnets and banners I would purchase separately from the package:
http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/studio3.aspx?pf_id=088&combo=294679.142.1.262814%7c262814%7c137%7c0&uei=387854&icparts=yes&ag=true&combo_id=492220&ssc=1&filter=4%3a10003%7c%7c1%2c9%3a10013%7c%7c1%2c3%3a1 0001%7c%7c1&xnav=previews&xnid=button&rd=2&referer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vistaprint.com%2fgallery% 2fMAEAAAABAAMAAAA%3d%2fpremium-business-cards%2foutdoor-adventure.aspx%3ffilter%3d4%253a10003%257c%257c1%2 6xnav%3dpopsearch

Which is all fine but I did read on this site people who questioned what kind of quality Vista Print provided. I also looked up reviews on the company and although many said good things there were many who had real problems with this company (in terms of the quality of product, customer service and business practices). I am rethinking the use of the company, which may mean rethinking the price of these items.

3. Web site. In the future definitely. Right now I have put together a first draft of a blog that I can refer people to, refer to on my business Facebook page (which I haven't set up yet), that provdes detailed information. I had planned on starting this where we lived in Tennessee, but over the past few months we have had a death in the family and a move across country to Wyoming. So now I need to reorient to the culture and people in the west as opposed to the southeast. I do need to write something more about myself on the page aside from "outdoor enthusiast" but would welcome additional feedback. Still a work in progress:
Outdoor Adventures Revived (http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/)

4. Special event at launch: There is a ski swap that happens in town that is a huge event, but that is not until November. There is still much to do so being part of that event may be the way to go, and I could begin marketing and accepting consignments in October prior to the ski swap.

Sorry for the long and involved post(s). The woman at the business development organization that I spoke with had some good questions and suggestions for me that I need to consider, but truthfully I didn't get the impression that she thought it was a sound idea even in concept, and that used outdoor clothing especially would not sell. This thread is about marketing so I don't want to go off on a tangent but will likely talk about this some more later. I hate to sound like I know more than the experts because that's not the case (and from a business perspective she was hugely helpful), but I just don't agree with her on the issues of newspaper ads and reselling good quality, name brand used outdoor clothing. Thanks for taking the time to read and I appreciate any feedback anyone has on how this all looks and any of your thoughts.

KristineS
08-03-2012, 12:55 PM
It sounds like you've put some thought into how you will market which is a great thing and something I love to see. Many small business owners tend to put marketing last on their list which can be detrimental.

I think your plan sounds reasonable. I like the water bottle idea very much, but would encourage handing them to people rather than leaving them for people to take. Gifting them to the local recreation clubs is a great idea, leaving them at the local community center I'm not sure will work as well. People do like free things, and many people will have sports and outdoor equipment they may want to sell, or have a need to buy, but I'm thinking personal contact or making the water bottle meaningful in some way is a better way to go. If it's something I just pick up as I leave the community center, I'm probably much more likely to just discard the flyer.

Having a coordinated brand is always a good idea, so I think you're smart to order your stationary and business cards etc. from the same company. I have never used VistaPrint, but have seen the same as you have online, some people like it and some people don't. For what it's worth, we've used PSPrint in the past and had very good luck with them and their prices were reasonable.

As for advertising, newspaper ads might be something to consider if you were having a big sale. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. Don't discount newspapers and magazines entirely though. Most local magazines and newspapers and television stations are always looking for local news angles. Create a press release announcing the start of your business and send it to all the local media outlets. You never know who may pick it up and give you some free publicity.

As for the blog and Facebook page, here's one thing I do know. There are a lot of outdoor bloggers out there. I was one of the Founding Members of the Outdoor Bloggers Summit and our blogroll was huge. I would definitely do a search for bloggers in your area who write about any aspect of the outdoors. Once you've compiled a list of those bloggers, send each an e-mail announcing your business and your blog. Ask to be included on their blogrolls and if they'll let their readers know about your business. Outdoor bloggers tend to support each other, so you should get some help.

When you start working with your Facebook page, make sure you become part of the community. Follow strategically and remember it's not about the number of fans you have, it's about how engaged they are. Make sure your page isn't simply a litany of "buy from me, buy from me, buy from me!" and instead showcases your store and the equipment you have to sell. It is also always a good idea to try and respond to questions and queries quickly.

Another social media venue you might want to consider is Twitter. I'm thinking it might be a good way to Tweet awesome new arrivals. I know people who watch Twitter accounts from various stores closely so they get first notice of sales or specials. Again, with Twitter as with Facebook, you need to follow strategically, but it can be very useful.

I could probably go on with more ideas, but I think I'll stop here for now. Keep us posted on how things go.

krj
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Great ideas and suggestions. A great combination of logistics and creativity. I really appreciate your suggestions and I'll add them into the mix.

Received some more feedback from the woman I am working with at the business development center in town. She's done some research and I think we may be moving in the same direction now in terms of how I envisioned this all looking. I walked out of the center early last week feeling a little disheartened but it's beginning to take shape and I am excited.

Thanks so much again!

ClarkLorraine
08-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Have you surveyed the people in the area yet? You said that there are some stores that sell new equipment, but have you looked into making sure people would buy enough used to keep you in business? Normally if I want used coats and such for a short duration I just check Goodwill, since they tend to be cheaper than even used specialty stores.

krj
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
QUOTE=ClarkLorraine;64488]Have you surveyed the people in the area yet? You said that there are some stores that sell new equipment, but have you looked into making sure people would buy enough used to keep you in business? Normally if I want used coats and such for a short duration I just check Goodwill, since they tend to be cheaper than even used specialty stores.[/QUOTE]

I have done a good deal of research on outdoor gear consignment shops that take a similar approach to what I hope to do here that have similar demographics, outdoor recreation amenties and services etc. There's some financials I have found and the woman I am working with through business development has found more. The rest is anecdotal - emails to a few local contacts, questions to outdoor enthusiasts that I know personally, questions to some who use the local recreation center. Whether or not that initial enthusiasm will translate into actual sales - I don't know.

There is not an outdoor gear consignment store in town currently but there are two smaller scale used clothing stores that carry a wide variety of clothing for men and women (one owned by the senior center and is a bit of a mess - one is better organized and donates proceeds to a variety of non-profits in town). No Goodwill or Salvation Army. Neither operating now is dedicated to outdoor clothing or gear. The clothing I hope to sell is (what I have outright as of this time) and will be (what I will accept on consignment) high quality technical clothing for specific activities, and the same for gear. I am working on the assumption (based on many years as an outdoor athlete and knowing other outdoor athletes) that they are looking for high quality, technical, activity specific, good functioning clothing and gear. Good prices and good looking are also priorities. Name brands are very preferable.

Moving away from the serious athletes to the recreational athletes and the once-in-a-while outdoors enthusiasts I am hoping that good prices, good quality, good looking will also appeal to them in terms of more generic outdoor "stuff" - camp stoves, backpacks, water jugs, flashlights, sleeping bags etc.

To try and answer your question - if I had to choose between a rubber rain suit from a second hand store and a Marmo Precip from a consignment shop I would buy the Precip. Not everyone would, but image conscious outdoor geeks would.

The town has a strong outdoor presence and yet there is no outdoor gear consignment shop. I question why. I'm not that smart so wonder why/if it has been done before and folded. I have not come across anything yet that indicates that someone else gave it a shot. I was talking to a gun shop owner the other day that has space on the second floor of his store and he told me that he had considered the same thing but doesn't want to bother moving into a different area from what he is doing now (older man who tried to retire last year but couldn't sell his business off). Unfortunately he also did not want to rent out his second floor to me.

I appreciate any feedback, questions, ideas, suggestions. I signed up for this site because I really appreciated the depth of creativity and business experience I saw here.

Pack-Secure
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
We have a consignment furniture store, upper scale furniture that does quite well. So I can see a specialized consignment shop of your type doing well if you have a large amount of people involved in outdoor events.

If you have a touristy type area, maybe even incorporate equipment rentals into your business model. These people would probably not be interested in buying equipment, but would probably rather rent, maybe even buy the equipment after they have tried it out. Also, if you have a touristy type area, consider perhaps outdoor type souvenir items, with your store logo on the bottom of the items.

People that live in your area would probably be the customers interested in buying. Perhaps add a rewards program for people that purchase from your store to encourage repeat business.

Good luck with your business venture.

<please set up a signature through Settings>

TimPiazza
10-01-2012, 12:43 AM
For outdoor gear, the best marketing I can suggest is to find every group that has outdoor activities and become a participant/sponsor. There are hiking clubs, running clubs, biking clubs, you name it. If there is a university near you, they will have outing clubs as well. Get involved with environmental issues because many people who are all about outdoor sports are also concerned with environmental issues. Also get involved with local charities. Support your community and they will likely support you. :-)

jkg1856
10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Glad to hear you're off, running, and seeking new ways to attract more customers.

There are three "pillars" of marketing: Message, Market, Medium - and that's the order to create them in.

I'm getting this feeling you're jumping straight to Medium without crafting a strong Message.

Most ineffective advertising fails because there is not a strong message and/or a clear call to action. They'll buy water bottles, billboards, ads, etc and slap their name, address, phone number, and HOPE that people walk in the door.

You need to answer the question, "Why should they buy from you instead of the established sporting goods store?" Place that on your media.

The marketing gurus call this a Unique Selling Proposition (USP). It could be a guarantee, a promise, etc...

Also give them an offer (bundled package of goods, special pricing, etc). And make them give you their information (name, email, phone number, address) to access that offer. This means you can follow up with them down the road.

Good luck!

JohnB
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I have read through the thread, and I must say I really like your idea for the store. I would certainly want to check out a place like this if it was within a reasonable distance. I like your smart approach to planning and soliciting advice.

I'll quickly reiterate the points that I really liked: Kristine pointed out that it's a good idea to hand out your premiums in person. This is good advice. You will want to be the face and the personality behind the store. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable will go a long way, and that will be a big reason for people to come to the store, and then to come back again.

Also, a second to jkg's unique selling proposition. This will differentiate you, and I think you basically described most of a USP in your postings, so you're well on your way.

Here's something that I wanted to add, that you might consider. An alternative to newspaper ads is Google Local ads, and maybe some website advertising for local related organizations and/or events. With Google Local, you can target precise keywords plus geographic area for the ads. Plus, you can put daily or monthly caps on the ad spend so you can be sure to stay within your budget. Google takes some learning, but if you're interested, I suggest looking at Perry Marshall's book to understand the science of testing and improving your ads. You will need a way to track the ads, such as coupon for a premium or discount, etc. Google also has a lot of educational pages covering the nuts and bolts of their system.

Good Luck and please let us know how it goes. (And if your business is anywhere near the Chicago area, please let me know so I can come to visit.)

abdiamond
12-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Developing a marketing and advertising is essential. The costs include creative and media placement. But there are multiple channels and different strategies you can follow as a small business. Keeping your expenses down is an issue. My academy has marketing campaigns including advertising prepared for over 120 small businesses. They can be modified or used as is. The cost is extremely low.

IADS
02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I was thinking that if a lot of your customer come from out of town and are tourist you cane find out were your local Tourist Board advertises and follow their lead. They bring them to town and the name that they know is yours. Maybe if you team up with the Tourist Board you can bring down both of your ad costs.

GoVinyl.com
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Neat business concept!

Personally, I have used some of the following as advertising tactics listed below. Some worked well, others not so well. It's all about trial and error. If you do no have a website launched yet, I highly recommend it because Google is a great form of advertising!

1. Water Bottles: I have used these as give-a-ways at local events such as "Community Days" and people love them. I have my logo along with website & phone number printed on them for easy contact.

2. Vista-Print: Wonderful! Use them for all my stationary & printing needs. I order business cards, brochures & post cards with promotional codes for different percentages off for future purchases.

3. Vehicle Advertising: Great, what do people do at a red light? They're looking at your back window. What better place to put your logo & business information.

4. Classified Ad: Not so well. I did not get anything from this :(

5. Google Ads: The best place to help get the word out. Set up a campaign and only spend what you want. Great way to advertise online!

6. Local Bull-board - This bill-board was put up at a new park in our community and although I have not had any direct sales from it. It still gets the word out and is displayed all year.

I hope some of these ideas help. If you need any more information on them, let me know. I can always help you with any signing or vehicle advertising you may need.

<please set up a signature through Settings>

tallen
01-15-2014, 05:44 AM
I am starting a new business and I need some suggestions regarding how to find go to market plans and go to market templates.
Give any advise!!!!! Thank you.

Didn't you answer your own question (above) in another thread?

I will suggest you VP marketing on- demand, they provide professionally designed marketing plans, free go to market strategy template , go to market plan, business development strategies etc.It will save your time and money as well.

Something seems fishy here.