PDA

View Full Version : Copywriting does NOT work. It's all a scam!

BiznessAsUsual
07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Just kidding!

If you clicked on my catchy thread title I have just proven to you that copywriting DOES work.

Have an excellent weekend! :)

vangogh
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Funny. I clicked in ready to argue with you and call you all sorts of nasty names. Instead I had a good laugh. Thanks. :)

Dan Furman
07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
same here :)

Harold Mansfield
07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Apparently so does link baiting. Facebook is a perfect example of that.

websonalized
08-10-2012, 02:51 PM
LOL, BiznessAsUsual i was going to ask you where you get your information from, but like the others I also got a good laugh as well. haha

jamesray50
08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
LOL. Good one.

AccountantSalary
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, you certainly got me to click here.

I'm wondering if you would've gotten just as many clicks with a more positive title such as "Proof that Copywriting Works!"

vangogh
08-13-2012, 11:42 AM
The title likely could have been written in a way that was positive and still attracted as many clicks, though I don't know if the point being made would have been as effective.

DeniseTaylor
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Funny. I clicked in ready to argue with you and call you all sorts of nasty names. Instead I had a good laugh. Thanks. :)

Me too! I just found this post and the same thing happened to me. :D

When people don't understand things, they tend to call them scams. In this case, you already get it. Phew!

socialme82
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Good one! It served its purpose well. However, I hear a top notch copywriter is worth thousands per page of sterling copy! Is that a scam or does it make/break entire businesses?

Jsaddington
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice - and you proved the point. Being controversial is one of the basics and I bit the hook. LOL!

Serfaksan
09-12-2012, 12:16 PM
hahahhahaa I've seen some friends of mine do this type of jokes so I though I would find something like that xD

dianecoleen
09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh Well! I was caught in the hook too. I clicked on it and wondering how was the title of thread possible. It was a useful link bait indeed! Although, I don't think that would do with a content and a small piece of misleading information, I guess. =)

webmarketingpro
10-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Well...

Yes, I was ready to come to the defense of copywriting.

But don't overestimate the power of misleading headlines. They erode the credibility of the writer...

You get them a lot in email messages, and I've taken to sending the most annoying ones to my spam folder (or unsubscribe - if there's a link).

Ditto for "You've been approved!" or those many messages announcing my new incoming PayPal payments (unless they're from PayPal, of course).

vangogh
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
But don't overestimate the power of misleading headlines. They erode the credibility of the writer

I'd say it depends. It depends on who the writer is, what the headline said, what the article said, how often a misleading headline is used. It definitely can backfire, though. There are some blogs I've enjoyed over the years that have used misleading or sensationalist headlines for so long that I now pass over most everything they write now. Mostly that's because the posts following the headlines never lived up to the headline. On the other hand there are blogs I follow where I do click on these kind of headlines, because the quality of the post is usually worth the read, regardless of the headline.

BiznessAsUsual
11-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Glad everyone had a laugh and smile :) ...I was hoping everyone would be cool enough to laugh at it.

Sometimes, it feels good to just be silly (and take the "intensity" out of our daily lives).

-Chris

vangogh
11-11-2012, 01:04 PM
It was definitely worth a laugh and a smile. Plus the fact that people keep clicking into the thread ready to react shows you how well copywriting works. Your point was made on top of the laugh.

libra
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
You bet all the copy writers out there will be clicking on the thread armed with their axes and machetes. Lol. :)

vangogh
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I know. And then they'll be immediately disarmed with a few words and the power of copywriting.

daveM
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the chuckle.!!

Ronald Dod
11-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Marketing is a scam too. Everyone should just play the lottery.

rcalie
01-18-2013, 12:45 AM
I wish I had a dime for every time someone uses the word "Scam" in a title for something they are trying to support.

Yes people are naturally attracted to negative. That's not the point. The real point is people are lazy and follow the path of least resistance. So many have used the scam title for so long, that there are literally pages of nothing but "(business name) is a scam."
The casual searcher being human, is not going to take the time to look at one when there's pages of "SCAM" staring back at them. They just move on.

What do you think? Can you think of any other unintended consequence of over-using an effective and legitimate tool of the trade?

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I wish I had a dime for every time someone uses the word "Scam" in a title for something they are trying to support.

Yes people are naturally attracted to negative. That's not the point. The real point is people are lazy and follow the path of least resistance. So many have used the scam title for so long, that there are literally pages of nothing but "(business name) is a scam."
The casual searcher being human, is not going to take the time to look at one when there's pages of "SCAM" staring back at them. They just move on.

What do you think? Can you think of any other unintended consequence of over-using an effective and legitimate tool of the trade?

I know what you mean. There are a few that turn me off the minute I see them because they are clear indications of link baiting or spam:

"Revealed" - Waaaayyyyy over used. The internet has made me so sick of the word "revealed" that I don't know what to do.
"..that they don't want you to know" - Who is "they"? Everytime I see this one I know it's a diet or money scam.
"...by the experts" - This one reminds of the 4 out of 5 dentist. Annonymous "experts". Very credible.

KristineS
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm tired of the "one weird trick" thing. I see this a lot with diet and fitness stuff lately and it drives me crazy.

Dan Furman
01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm tired of the "one weird trick" thing. I see this a lot with diet and fitness stuff lately and it drives me crazy.

Or the "Power companies hate him" (etc).

The other thing I detest is the "<your city> mom makes $1,000 a week from home" (with a picture and everything). Then you go to the page, and it's an "article" with mostly positive "comments" on the bottom with about a month's worth of dates (and the last one is yesterday - but comments are now closed). It gives the impression it's legit. I've turned down writing assignments for these because I do not write "fake" comments/etc. (although I have written for some "one weird trick" landing pages that are up front about being ads).

Harold Mansfield
01-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Or the "Power companies hate him" (etc).

The other thing I detest is the "<your city> mom makes $1,000 a week from home" (with a picture and everything). Then you go to the page, and it's an "article" with mostly positive "comments" on the bottom with about a month's worth of dates (and the last one is yesterday - but comments are now closed). It gives the impression it's legit. I've turned down writing assignments for these because I do not write "fake" comments/etc. (although I have written for some "one weird trick" landing pages that are up front about being ads).

Those ads that lead to landing pages that look like local news stations are pretty cleaver too. I can see how people would be duped by them.

vangogh
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Out of curiosity, even though some phrases immediately turn you off, do you still click to the article? As much as we may not like certain phrases, they do work to get people to click through, which is what they're supposed to do. Even if you or I don't click, clearly enough people still do.

One word that I'm tired of seeing in headlines is "must" or similar words. Anytime an article says it's going to teach me something I must do, I know I can safely ignore the article.

Harold Mansfield
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Out of curiosity, even though some phrases immediately turn you off, do you still click to the article?

I don't. But I see how they attract some people. I'm different because I spend a lot of time online and know the tricks that they are employing. But the average person doesn't, so these types of link bait may work for years to come until people wise up and get tired of it.

KristineS
01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't click the one weird trick articles of the other articles mentioned on this thread. I suppose it's because I've spend time studying how people advertise, so I can spot the scams when I see them.

Zman
01-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Haha... point well made!

poolgamesonline.eu
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
LOL. Big surprise , i was looking forward to read what i thought i will be finding here .

vangogh
01-25-2013, 02:18 AM
I'm different because I spend a lot of time online and know the tricks that they are employing

I suppose it's because I've spend time studying how people advertise, so I can spot the scams when I see them

I hear you both. It's the same for me. I've spent enough time studying this stuff that I can see through what many of these headlines are doing. And still sometimes I find myself reaching to click. I generally stop myself, but still…

I think it shows that some of these headlines do work and work well. Not all of them. Some are too obvious, but when it's done well the writing does work. I find myself getting annoyed at it sometimes, but it's hard to stay annoyed for too long. It's written that way because it does work and writing in what we might think is a less manipulative way doesn't.

e-persuader
06-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Sometimes, title can be deceiving. I have received a lot of spam messages, and some of it are truly persuading, but I didn't try to click it as I don't want to fall in a trap. But, have you noticed that some of those spam messages are masterfully written and you can get ideas and techniques for successful copy writing? I was amazed to discover that, yet it's pesky to received such messages.

vangogh
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
I think the title of this thread is proof that you can't always judge a book by its cover. I'd say that's true of emails subject lines that appear to be spam, but may not be. Like you I have learned from spammy emails. I'll sometimes subscribe to certain email lists (with an email I don't use for anything else) just so I can learn from someone else's techniques.

patrickprecisione
06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Haha, great post. Always appreciate an unexpected laugh...

irishmoe
03-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Haha brilliant, this is the first post I read on the site!! :)

JohnShannon
03-11-2014, 04:01 AM
It works! :D Good day to all! You made me smile, thanks!

David Hunter
03-11-2014, 09:35 PM
I was ready to put the Dan Kennedy moves on you! haha

vangogh
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
This is still one of my favorite threads. Such a simple way to prove a point.

BrandGeek
03-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Yep. This copywriter fell for it. And laughed.

PrincePatridge
03-25-2014, 04:21 PM
HAHA!

This is A brilliant post! Wow. I fell for that...hard....

gabearnold
10-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Great post! I love writing stuff like that :)

shrinkme
10-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Yes, I did click with argument at the ready. You proved your point and it was funny.

It can get to be a huge burden to copy edit a large website or a blog. But you will quickly turn people away with grammar issues or misspellings.

I try to be a little more down to earth when I am writing on my blog.

will.i.earn
10-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Wow! People are still drawn to this, and I'm the latest victim.

Ted Perrotti
10-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Dang! Gonna' have to put away the flaming torch and pitchfork now! ;)

JonV6
11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Very clever. Point made and proven in one fell swoop!

FlyingKite
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Now that is a great copywriting trick!