PDA

View Full Version : I Know This Is A "Tasteless" Question...

KingHippo
12-06-2008, 07:01 PM
...but it has to be asked. :) In fact, I'll try and make it less tasteless...hmmmmm...ok...is anyone here making more than $35,000/yr from their business? This is what I need to make minimum in order to survive. I would need to sell 350 - 700 CD-ROMs to accomplish this. I wonder how difficult this will be...

Evan
12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I believe many here would make more than $35K from their business. It would be possible to sell that many CDs if people want it and are willing to pay that much.

vangogh
12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I typically won't talk about how much I make each year.

However I will say that $35,000 is certainly reasonable to make. It's really going to come to whether or not there's a market for your cds and how well you reach that market and persuade them to buy. 350-700 cds is 1-2 per day. You may not sell that many daily when you first launch, but there's no reason why you can't average 1-2/day if you find and persuade the market to buy.

orion_joel
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
350 CD's is around 1 CD every day, how difficult do you feel it would be to make just one sale per day.

Now think of the sales you have already made, how many are actually for just one CD's maybe 1 in 10 is for 2 cd's. So it depends what your average CD value is, what you cost to produce is and how much it cost you to market this.

Personally, (and this is without really knowing what or how you are marketing or price range) i would be looking at the upper end of 700cd's a year maybe even 1000 cd's a year. Bring this down to weekly and monthly target's (for monthly don't just multiple your weekly target by 4, multiple the weekly target by 52 then divide it by 12) Once you have weekly and monthly targets, you need to look at what you need to do to meet these smaller targets rather then trying to hit just one big target in one big amount of time.

What is easier to achieve, 1000 cd's sold in 1 year or 20 cd's sold in 1 week. I know which target i would prefer to be working towards.

SteveC
12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
How much you sell depends on your selling skills... if you are planning to simply open an online store and watch the sales come in, think again... you need to work out how you are going to market your business and how you are going to achieve your aims of 35K per year.

And let me state this quite clearly... 35K is peanuts if you are going to set yourself a goal at least make it a good one, six figures at least... and do remember you will earn whatever you believe you are worth....

Steve B
12-07-2008, 05:27 AM
I agree with the other Steve (one of the by-laws of being Steve on this board).

I would just quit now if you were only hoping to make 35,000.

How many CD Roms you sell depends on too many things to begin to speculate. You will need to do a very thorough market analysis to at least determine the potential of your market. If you're selling something for left handed, red-headed golfers your potential is going to be much different than if you're selling something to parents of teenagers.

I apologize if you've shared details about your CD-Rom in a previous post, I might have missed it.

billbenson
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm assuming this relates to your other post where you want to monetize a site in two weeks. I've know some people who used to sell DVD's. With downloads out there and more on the horizon, I would think that is a rough road. What are you going to make after expenses - $1 per dvd? Unless you have a real good niche market that will be around for a while, I wouldn't go in that direction. Margins won't be enough to support advertising.

If you do continue down that road, make sure you have multiple revenue streams on your site. IMO the dvd sales (again depending on your market) will quickly die off and it will take you a year to get good placement on G. AdWords would certainly take you in the hole.

Now if it's a DVD that you own and costs you 17 cents to make and you sell it for $18 that's a completely different story.

You really need to give us some more information to get advice that fits what you are trying to do.

Blessed
12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't yet... but I'm really only working part-time and if I learned just a few things and worked just a couple more hours a day consistently I could make a lot more than that. Right now my priority is in being a momma and earning a little money to make debt go away faster and life a bit easier around here.