PDA

View Full Version : First post, might as well make it count

Vivid Color Zack
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't want this to be a post where everyone glances over it and says ok big deal, another printer on the site. A pointless introduction to say Hi I'm here that's all.

I sincerely want to make real connections on this site and develop real business relationships with people who can share their experiences and help me grow my business. I've come a long way and I've probably made a lot of mistakes that I can help warn others not to make too. I know I haven't done this business perfectly but I've done it somewhat successfully from the ground up - unfunded.

I came here from Small Business Forum (http://www.small-business-forum.com) and just noticed a post where Steve (imagine that, lol) suggested to someone that this forum was more active. Thought I would check it out.

Without further adieu - I'm Zack!

I run a printing company. We print anything and everything. Literally anything with ink and paper or vinyl or... cloth... wood? if you bring it to me and you want me to print on it I will do it; and for cheaper than the other guys. We've recently started handling product packaging as well.

I started this company about 4 years ago after growing up around printing (family business, not quite as cool as the mob) and working prepress through high school and college - I was pretty much destined to do SOMETHING with printing. I realized brokering jobs for small commission wasn't going to pay my bills forever and I started a marketing firm with a few entrepreneurial college friends. We had a lot of book knowledge and little real world experience. My experience in the printing industry allowed us to excel in our collateral and we quickly realized that we may be better at printing than we were at marketing.

I think owning your own business is one of the most rewarding things you can do. I've never been good at being told how to do things when their way was obviously not any better than my way. "do this because I say to do it like this" was never something I accepted well. Don't get me wrong when I do anything I take a lot of pride in it, I want to do it right, but having a boss always means you will have to limit your own ideas and be careful when you have an opinion. I love being able to make any decision I want and reap the benefits or suffer the consequences that follow.

I deal with my customers the way I like to be dealt with. I try to make sure everyone is happy with every transaction and if a problem arises I like to make it right as soon as possible. I think we have a lot of potential right now and even though the economy is tough and a lot of people are having a hard time finding new customers I think we have a bright future.

I have opinions on everything. I'm an expert at very few things. But I'll give my advice and opinions with an open ear. I don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction or convince them they should listen to me, but I know I like to have a few different perspectives before making a decision.

I'm glad to be here and I know I've benefitted from the other forum, I hope this one will be at least as beneficial as that one.

To those who didn't want to read all that, I'm Zack and I print stuff, and I hope you have a good evening :)

cbscreative
12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks like you have the ideal attitude to be a business owner, Zack, and your refusal to be limited by a boss is a sure sign you need to be the boss. Welcome to the club, and welcome to the best SBF.

vangogh
12-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Zack. That's quite an introduction. I think you definitely found your calling in the print industry.

I'm the same in that I started my own business from the ground up and unfunded. I've also made my share of mistakes along the way. One thing about mistakes though is as long as you learn something you haven't really made a mistake.

I completely agree with you on the rewards of owning a business. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I may not always make as much money as I could were I to work for someone else (though I certainly try to make as much as I can), but it's so much more rewarding knowing I'm 100% responsible for how much money I do make. I'm also not one who does well working how others want me to work.

I'm glad you decided to say hi Zack and thanks for joining the community. Hopefully we'll be able to provide some good discussions as we all get to know each other better.

Steve B
12-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi Zack,

I've been reading your posts on the other side as well. I'm glad you came over. For some reason, even with a lot fewer members, this site gets a lot more activity lately and with pretty much all quality posts.

This site is full of non-conformists who were destined to not work for anyone else. That certainly is my description.

I hope you enjoy your visits and contribute frequently.

vangogh
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Steve I think non-conformists describes most of us pretty well. Hopefully we can also be described as savvy business owners.

I think the major reason for the quality posts is the quality of the members we have here. We have a great community growing. We're also pretty quick to get rid of the spam and generally useless posts.

Vivid Color Zack
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think the spam filtration is going to be a big change from what I'm used to seeing. I've started to become a little frustrated with responses to serious questions that include things like "I see your problem here, by the way check out great deals on sneakers at www.Iamretarded.com"

Sorry for the long intro I felt like I only get one, might as well have it do what it's supposed to do.

Seems like a pretty good community so far, I've been lurking around a little bit so far and everyone seems very positive.

cbscreative
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
If you see any posts like that here, Zack, click on the little red and white triangle and they will quickly disappear. We have no tolerance for that here, and members reporting it helps us catch it even faster.

Steve B
12-04-2008, 02:57 PM
"www.Iamretarded.com" - That just cracked me up for some reason!

KristineS
12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Zack! It's great to see people who are interested in contributing showing up here.

Remipub
12-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Welcome from "another printer." Try to keep the ink off your keyboard. :)

Ok, in honestly, I don't get my hands dirty anymore - but there was a time when every shirt I owned had ink stains (and pants, and shoes, and....pretty much everything I touched).

SteveC
12-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome Zak

Sounds to me as if you'll fit right in here... you'll find most of the people here extremely knowledgeable about their business and business in general...

Vivid Color Zack
12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh no another steve with a letter after his name! haha.

Thanks for the welcome Remi, I know I have a lot to learn still and I hope I'll be able to do some of that learning here on the forum where my mistakes are hypothetical instead of expensive :)

cbscreative
12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Careful, Zack, the Steve's rule this forum, but Kristine is Queen. :D

Vivid Color Zack
12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
oh man and queens are stronger in chess! I hope she decides she likes me.

Evan
12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Welcome Zack :)

And everyone likes you... until you give them reason to otherwise not! :-P

Vivid Color Zack
12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Haha, yeah I'm just kidding around I feel like everyone here is very receptive and anxious to help others.

mr.ro
12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
welcome to the boards zack I as well hate it when spam enters a forum and seems to mess things up. I like your site by the way. It seems like you have a good sense of humor to go around.

Vivid Color Zack
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I try to stay light hearted and optimistic. If I'm going to live I figure there's no sense in being a downer all the time.

vangogh
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
It's all about your attitude. If you can stay light and positive then typically the world around you will be light and positive as well. If you're always thinking down thoughts guess what kind of world you'll live in.