PDA

View Full Version : Young Professional, How to Tax? When to Tax?

MissesBeatriz
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm completely lost when it comes to US tax laws. I just started working for the 1st time in NY back in May 2012. So when do I first file taxes? Till next April 2013? Is it expensive for someone to do my taxes? I mean I just work 2 little retail jobs, pay rent, and ride the subway. As far as I know, I can't include rent or my super expensive unlimited metro card. Can someone help me in a few words, How To? When To? Thanks!

Evan
07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes, you'll file your 2012 taxes in 2013, due April 2013. It may or may not be expensive to do your taxes, I have no idea what you have for your return. That's like saying your car is making a noise and is that going to be costly -- you sort of need to see it in order to size things up.

That said, living in NYC, you're still probably looking at about $200ish for a basic return.

MissesBeatriz
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Evan! yeah, I know I'm a little vague, I am obviously not too comfortable displaying all my personal finances online. I feel a little scared and nervous already. My friends can't stop talking about it when its tax season. I'll figure it out though. I'm sure it's not too difficult to file taxes as a young professional with a few sources of income. Thanks again!

tmerrill
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Most good tax professionals should also give you a free consultation where they will ask you questions to determine how complicated your return will be and then give you an estimate.

You also might want to consider using an Enrolled Agent. Find out more about enrolled agents (http://www.solosmallbusiness.com/interview-small-business-enrolled-agent/) here.