PDA

View Full Version : "Nofollow" in links for Article Submissions

JunkDawgs
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
I was hoping someone could afford me a brief education on the "nofollow" links. I recently submitted an article and was in contact with the webmaster for the site and he said he would remove the "nofollow" for me. I'm still learning this aspect of SEO and am unclear as to what it is and how I can avoid having it in my links in the first place. I know some article submission sites allow for HTML code where you can insert up to a link or two within the body, but not in the first paragraph. However, while I was editing one of these articles I saw the "nofollow" within the code that I didn't put there myself, almost as if the site did it. Thoughts?

vangogh
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Nofollow links don't pass value in the eyes of search engines. The idea is that the site owner isn't casting a vote for the value of the link. They're used on comments for example since anyone can post a comment and link to anything. Generally you'd prefer to have links pointing back to your site that don't include nofollow, but don't spend too much time worrying about it. It's naturally for some links pointing to your site to have nofollow.

As far as the general idea of submitting articles to places like Ezine and other directories, don't bother. It's not a strategy that's going to help. Better is to get to know the sites in your industry and try to get published on those. It's harder, but it'll be far more effective. Look for sites that likely have an audience similar to the audience you want for your site. Those are the sites you want to write for. It won't matter much whether or not links are nofollowed or not, because real people will click the links and visit your site.

This may sound counterintuitive, but if you sometimes ignore search engines and think about real people, you'll find you do things that search engines also like and it'll help your pages rank better.

jamiesonline
07-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Having a nofollow should not affect your promotion efforts. Take for example, you published a PR which got displayed on Yahoo News. You will generate plenty of traffic despite having a nofollow link.

Does that imply you should stop promoting your business article ? Ofcourse Not

If you wish to promote your website then you have to think above "nofollows, dofollows and ofcourse "page ranks" etc.

armandogil
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
JunkDawgs I'd agree with the advise vangogh mentioned don't spend too much time worrying about follow / nofollow . PR known as PageRank is something Google assigns based on how important it feels your website or a page on your website is based on other websites who link to your home page or a page on your website. With google's introducing of AuthorRank it's placing less importance of PageRank. Have you seen search results with a picture of someone next to the result? (that's author rank) You can drive yourself mad looking at follow no follow, so do yourself a favor and ignore it! When a link is follow some of the pages PR gets passed to the link. When the link it nofollow, then no PR is passed to the link. I hope that makes sense...

vangogh
07-20-2012, 05:26 PM
You can drive yourself mad looking at follow no follow

Oh yeah. I think that's true with so many aspects of seo, especially for newbies. The trees don't make any sense or grow without the context of the forest around them. I think most people new to seo will do best by first making sure the content on their sites is as good as it can possibly be. That also means creating content outside of sales pages. Create pages on your site for people to consume for information and entertainment. Once you have the content in place, start promoting it. Write an article for another site and link back to yours. See opportunities for where you can promote your site, such as a signature link on a forum like this one. Set up profiles on social sites that includes a link back to your site. On all the social sites, just spend time getting to know people. If you're contributing to the community, people will check out your links and visit your site.

All those things start contributing to what you ultimately want, which is other people sharing your content with the people they know and linking back to it. And as you do these things you start to gain the context for which things like nofollow and PR and a host of other seo terms begin to make more sense.

Elabusiness
07-26-2012, 11:45 AM
The NoFollow meta tag or attribute is one that the search engines have agreed should mean that the links so tagged will not pass any PageRank or link information to the site receiving the link. It comes in two forms, the NoFollow meta tag and the NoFollow attribute.The NoFollow meta tag is implemented by placing code similar to the following in the <head> section of a given web page. The NoFollow attribute is meant to allow a more granular level of control than the NoFollow meta tag.

websonalized
07-26-2012, 08:07 PM
This may sound counterintuitive, but if you sometimes ignore search engines and think about real people, you'll find you do things that search engines also like and it'll help your pages rank better. It is taking me a while to trust this idea, but I am leaning more and more towards this. At the end of the day, human normal is much easier for this is our instinct, but the pressure from the main stream misconceptions and over-supplemented advice triggers my fears...

vangogh
07-26-2012, 10:27 PM
The thing is search engines ideally want to rank web pages that real people would describe as relevant and quality and authoritative. There's no such thing as a single best result to any query, but search engines are trying to figure out what that best result would be and then display it. If you keep that in mind and do your best to build the best web pages you can, you're building the kind of pages search engines want to rank and get closer to ranking all the time.

What I see people doing all the time where search engines are concerned is looking for the secret sauce or magic formula that will suddenly rank their web pages #1 for everything. People get too myopic. They look too intently at one minor thing and analyze it and analyze it and analyze it hoping that one more tweak will be the magic. It never is and more often than not all those tweaks tend to make for a worse page.

If you create great content most of your on-page seo takes care of itself. If you write an article about something in the language that your audience uses then you'll use all the right words they'll search for. Assuming the page is good and you do some promotion to get a little word out about it, people will agree it's good and start sharing which means it spreads across social media and attracts links and all the other things search engines want to see.

Admittedly I'm simplifying a lot and I don't mean to imply you shouldn't understand how search engines work or optimize your pages or site. Still so much of the stuff people get stuck in in seo would take care of themselves if they create content and sites for real people instead of search engines.

socialme82
08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
NoFollow links are still great for referral traffic from the host site if you can actually get the people there to read your content and click the link. The best advice I have for finding sites that don't nofollow is to use a plugin like the NoDoFollow plugin for firefox, when it is enabled the link will have a pink highlight for nofollow and be gray highlighted for regular.

Good luck! Try to get referral traffic though, it can be better in the early phases of your online business especially than a strong SEO campaign because there is just too much competition. That's why I have a link at the bottom of my signature and stay active in forums, I hope you guys go through it and buy services but I offer relevant conversation. Hence you just have to use the same kind of methods really, also forum links are nice because most are normal links not nofollow links.

Just a thought.

vangogh
08-09-2012, 07:14 PM
NoFollow links are still great for referral traffic from the host site if you can actually get the people there to read your content and click the link.

Yep. I think people get too caught up worrying about whether or not links or nofollow or not. The biggest value in any link is the real people that click on it and visit your site. There's nothing wrong of course with identifying which links are nofollow and which aren't. It can help you decide whether if enough value will be returned for your effort. I tend not to worry about it though. Most of the time if I'm going to put in the effort to write an article for another site it's for the value of the real people who'll see what I write and ideally click on the link. If the link is followed by search engines it's gravy.