PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using QR Codes or Tags for offline promotion?

Harold Mansfield
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
A couple of years ago, QR codes were still in thier infancy and quite frankly, I never saw any cool implemetation of them that made me impressed.
However, now with the rise of smart phone use I do see them as an important and effective marketing tool.

If you don't what what they are, it's really simple:

A QR code is an image (much like the one in my sig) that is scanned by the camera on your smart phone that triggers an action on that phone such as showing a message, or taking you to a mobile friendly version of a website.

You DO need an app to read the codes. There are many, but use Microsoft's App (gettag.mobi) that scans both QR codes and thier proprietary Tag's, which I've seen a few major brands embracing.

Recently I've seen them in all kinds of promotions from contests, where scanning the code takes to an entry form or contest rules, to products in supermarkets where scanning gives you access to nutritional info, recipes and coupons to use at check out.

Of course the whole thing is really only user friendly if the content on the other end is specifically designed to be viewed on smart phones. Having people scan a QR code or Tag just to take them to the regular version of your website kind of defeats the purpose and is not very engaging.

With a little creativity and combined with other API's like mapping and real time location, and eCommerce...the possibilities seem to be endless to bring your online and offline worlds together.

Has anyone embraced using this yet? Been thinking about it?

You can read more about Tag's and QR codes at Microsoft's site:
What Is Tag? | Microsoft Tag (http://tag.microsoft.com/what-is-tag/home.aspx)

And some blog posts on real world implementations on their blog:
Community | Mobile Tagging News and Resources from Microsoft Tag (http://tag.microsoft.com/community/blog.aspx)

KristineS
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
We've used them as part of our trade show sample package this year. We put a QR code on the sample request cards and people who use it get a little something extra, a discount code for their next order. It also directs to a specific mobile friendly page. More people have used them than I expected would.

ClarkLorraine
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I’ve been using QR codes a lot lately. I have one on my business card and I also have some pins with them printed onto them. I think the key to success using QR codes is keeping things simple, yet creative. Use as little words as possible and create something that pikes the viewer’s curiosity.

BNB
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Nobody cares about QR codes at the moment. It's still not a great idea for 99% of businesses. Continue to wait it out.

Harold Mansfield
08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Nobody cares about QR codes at the moment. It's still not a great idea for 99% of businesses. Continue to wait it out.

I totally disagree. I see businesses using them all of the time. Especially in print media. Microsoft has tracked some great stats about their use over the last 2 years and they reflect just the opposite of what you are saying.

I would think in your business, for conferences and conventions that name badges with QR Codes that when scanned put peoples contact information into the person's smart phone would be a big hit. Business people have smart phones more than anyone.

tylerherman
09-02-2012, 02:51 AM
I don't think QR codes will ever take off.

They're great for collecting data and monitoring the effectiveness of a print campaign but the problem is they're totally lame for users. They aren't easy to scan and the campaigns people come out with suck. No one is going to waste the time finding their stupid app, open it, scan the code for whatever cheesy promotion businesses are hocking.

I've had a smart phone for a number of years now and I've never once been inclined to scan a QR code. The only ones I've ever done were for testing purposes on print material I was putting together for people. The problem is the content on the other side of the code is generally pretty lame and not worth the effort to view. If you could just swipe your phone maybe, but in it's current form, too many steps for not enough reward.

Harold Mansfield
09-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I've had a smart phone for a number of years now and I've never once been inclined to scan a QR code. The only ones I've ever done were for testing purposes on print material I was putting together for people. The problem is the content on the other side of the code is generally pretty lame and not worth the effort to view.

Totally agree. Just like every other kind of media. Some is good. Some people suck.
As for the rest of it, I think you are making it harder than it has to be. Getting a scan app is as easy as going to gettag.mobi and with it you can scan any QR code, Tag or NFC Touch point. It's not some big complicated endeavor.

But I get your point, and you are probably one of those people that won't ever interact with them.
Just like I don't listen to commercial radio, so I'll never hear those ads.

nealrm
09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
We are starting to use them as a complement to the property flyers. The box that is mounted out the house will have a QR Code that takes to user to a webpage with property information.

The flyer and ads also have a QR code, but I see many people wanting to browse there from their smart phones. It is easier to use a computer.

Serfaksan
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Well I think it's more about how you use the QR codes, I've seen many times that is not about the product you sell but how you sell it. But still, I haven't seen a proper use of QR either xD

myQRad.com
11-02-2012, 05:01 PM
When used correctly, QR codes can be extremely effective. One case in particular was a restaurant that used it on menus they would mail out. They linked the QR code to a landing page with the restaurants monthly specials on it. This way consumers could scan the code and instantly see the restaurants monthly specials. That is effective marketing.

RyanSmith
12-09-2012, 04:42 PM
It really depends.

If you're just slapping them on things because they're cool, that's foolish... and of course not going to net you anything.

We have a lot of success with in-store QR displays. People in-store use their mobile devices, to compare products, brands and prices. Fact. Slap a QR code on a display, link it to a very specific landing page with a video demonstration and you get to track the results on your own website. Then from POS trends, you can track engagement with the QR landing page with the sales trends for individual products.

If you execute it well, it will do well for you. Like any idea, if you brush it off or ignore it, it's of course going to do nothing for you.

Jstetson
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I think QR codes were a fad and weren't really worth it. Even major retailers (Those with over 100M in sales) haven't seen much success on it. I'm calling it a passing technology not really worth the ROI.

billbenson
01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
I think QR codes were a fad and weren't really worth it. Even major retailers (Those with over 100M in sales) haven't seen much success on it. I'm calling it a passing technology not really worth the ROI.

Ya, but who cares what it does for other companies. What can it do for you? From what I have read it can give you a lot more information to track all kinds of sales trends. Perhaps the big boys have other ways of gathering this information. Or perhaps they just aren't using current technologies.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Funny, just as I was reading this I glanced over at the TV at the local news station talking about CES and the reporter was standing in front of a display with a huge QR code.

KristineS
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
There really isn't a whole lot of an investment to a QR code. Just generate one, and there are free sites online that will do that, create a page to which the code can be directed, create something on that page to make it worthwhile for those who scan the code, and then follow through on whatever the information on the page was. Some people do elaborate games or items for those who click on QR codes, but I don't think it has to be that major. Just giving someone a coupon code is enough of reward.

I will agree that the percentage of people who will scan the code is probably small, but you can still capture those people without investing a great deal of time and/or funds.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Maybe it's because I notice them right away, but I see QR codes everywhere. Even on my utility bills.
While I agree that most companies suck at them, but the ones that do actually invest some time and creativity into the destination do some amazing things with them.

Harold Mansfield
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM

I have to agree with Bill here. If Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg, Ford, or Westinghouse used what other companies were doing as a gauge for what to do in their businesses...well you know how that sentence ends.

From what I see, they are used a lot in marketing around the world. Probably more used in the U.S. by tech savvy and younger aged people, than say people like my mom.
And it probably leans more towards higher end or tech products and companies, than say your average dry cleaners.

But they are in use and the applications are getting better and better. People are really being creative with them. It may not be for you, but one of your competitors could rock the house with it.