PDA

View Full Version : I've always wanted to....

KristineS
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I will be turning 40 in February of 2009. I wanted to do something cool with my fortieth year, so I came up with a project. I'm calling it 40 things in my fortieth year. The goal is to make a list of 40 things I've been talking about doing and/or always wanted to do and then complete the list by the end of the year. My hope is that by the time I turn 41, my list of 40 things will have enriched and expanded my life. If you want to read more about the project, you can do so here: 40 Things in my 40th Year (http://settlingformore.com/?p=214)

I'd love to get some suggestions about the things I should add to my list. I'd also like to know what would be on your list. Is there something you've always wanted to do but have been putting off? What do you think should be on my list?

billbenson
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, if you ever wanted to go to a romantic quaint Caribbean dive island, put Bonair trip on your list. I haven't been there since about 97 but it was all of the above and safe. It's down near Aruba.

seolman
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
OK - a few ideas to get you started

learn to paint
learn to play a musical instrument
travel to Paris and visit the Louvre and drink coffee in the Latin Quarter
learn to make Jewelry
learn photography
be a big sister to someone who needs one
visit Cinque Terre on the Coast of Italy and Florence
learn a foreign language and travel to a place to try it out
read the Bible from cover to cover (3 chapters each day will do it)

Business Attorney
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Great idea, Kristine. Although I am five years away from 60, I think I may come up with a 60 by 60 list. I'll need the time (and funds) to accomplish that many things. On second thought, maybe it should be 65 by 65 since it will take me that long to get my kids out of the house and out of college...

Oh, by the way, I hate to get technical (though isn't that what lawyers do?), but after your 40th birthday you will be in your 41st year, not your 40th.

KristineS
12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
OK - a few ideas to get you started

learn to paint
learn to play a musical instrument
travel to Paris and visit the Louvre and drink coffee in the Latin Quarter
learn to make Jewelry
learn photography
be a big sister to someone who needs one
visit Cinque Terre on the Coast of Italy and Florence
learn a foreign language and travel to a place to try it out
read the Bible from cover to cover (3 chapters each day will do it)

I love this list. Although I've already done a few things on it.

I play piano and violin, though neither well nor frequently.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover a couple of times, mostly to get the literary references.

Some great suggestions here. Thanks for them.

KristineS
12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Great idea, Kristine. Although I am five years away from 60, I think I may come up with a 60 by 60 list. I'll need the time (and funds) to accomplish that many things. On second thought, maybe it should be 65 by 65 since it will take me that long to get my kids out of the house and out of college...

Oh, by the way, I hate to get technical (though isn't that what lawyers do?), but after your 40th birthday you will be in your 41st year, not your 40th.

60 by 60 would be cool.

As for my 40th birthday being my 41st year, we'll just pretend no one knows that. 40 things in my 40th year just has a nicer symmetry. ;)

KristineS
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, if you ever wanted to go to a romantic quaint Caribbean dive island, put Bonair trip on your list. I haven't been there since about 97 but it was all of the above and safe. It's down near Aruba.

I'm not much for sun (very fair skinned), but diving could be cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

orion_joel
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I am quite a long way off, both a good 15 years to go for 40, However i think it is a great idea, I hope to be into doing things frequently enough by the time i am 40 to not really have a need for a list of things like this.

cbscreative
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
If you take seolman's suggestions for your list, then how will you ever find time for 31 more items? Great suggestions, but the remaining ones would have to be things like try a new recipe every week, and buy a new outfit once or twice a month. You could combine the second one by taking the "little sister" shopping with you which would help make a big list more doable.

You started this thread right on the first day of my b-day month. Exactly one week from today, I turn 48 so I have a little bit of a lead on you except for accomplishing a list of things I always wanted to do. I have a long way to go to complete any such list.

KristineS
12-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a whole year to do this stuff, Steve, but you're right, some things will have to be smaller items. That's what makes it fun though. I get the opportunity to try a lot of different things. Some will be immediately gratifying and some will take a while.

mr.ro
12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
this is a good thread. I think we should all work on doing stuff outside of business that we have always wanted to do, because as you know we only have one short life.

I would say a couple of things I want to do is, learn spanish, learn to cook a new meal every week as cbscreative said, play instrument, travel way more, that just a few I can think of now.