PDA

View Full Version : Files to backup?

Aaron Hats
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
My laptop is dead but I may be able to get some files off it. What files do I grab to transfer info from Outlook, Outlook Express, IE and Firefox?

After I grab these important files I'm going to run it over with my truck just for a little satisfaction. :mad:

Thanks,

Aaron

billbenson
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't think you can get your address book in outlook, but you can get your emails. They are probably in a hidden folder, so depending on which version of windows you are using, go to control panel and find the folders options and check the display hidden files and folders box. You could also do a search for the outlook folders extension. I forget where it is, but a quick google search should tell you. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I haven't used outlook in several years.

As far as Firefox goes, go to C documents and settings -> your user name -> application data -> mozilla - firefox -> profiles; and copy the profiles folder. Or just copy the firefox folder. Application data is a hidden folder as well so you need to do the display hidden files and folders as described above.

I use win 2k. XP should be similar. No idea in Vista.

You might want to consider cutting over to Thunderbird from Outlook or Outlook Express. Works great and to back it up you just copy the profile folder under Application Data.

Aaron Hats
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks, that should get me started. In the last three weeks I've had to buy new phones, an all-in-one and now a laptop on CyberMonday. This sucks!

billbenson
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Get an external hard drive while you are at it and back up!

Business Attorney
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
When I got a new machine, my Outlook .pst files brought over not only my emails but also my address book and calendar. You do need to make sure that Outlook is NOT running when you copy the .pst file (as I found out after trial and error).

On my computer, the file was in:
C:\Documents and Settings\<MyUserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Also, if you did any archiving (including auto archiving) make sure to copy the archive.pst before you fire up that truck...

Evan
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
If you use Outlook Express, I believe it's backup is infamous for leaving out your contacts. If that's the case, if you go to your address book, there should be a way of saving all of the contacts. I know I've done it before!

Getting a new computer can be quite a hassle.

As for your other question regarding bookmarks and such, with FireFox, go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks. There you can back them up.

orion_joel
12-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Outlook is fantastic for keeping everything in one place, the pst file. While Outlook express has the worst storage method i have seen, where every folder is a different file and contact's are in a different file sometimes stored seperate to the actual mail files.

Unless you selected a different location though you should find the pst file in the above mentioned location, this is where mine is.

Aaron Hats
12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Now for another twist. I found the new laptop I wanted online at Staples. I go to our local store and the laptop is a different price. He said if I wanted the online price I would have to order it online. So I left the store even more frustrated. I searched around online at a few different places and ended up ordering it from Staples and saved $150 from the store price. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Thursday to get it. My dream of someday living "off the grid" seems ever more appealing after my day yesterday.

Evan
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm surprised Staples didn't honor the online special, unless it was exclusively marked "Online Only Special". I'm pretty certain no stores are franchised, so it's all corporate anyways.

Ah well -- let them pay for S&H.

On a side note, I do have insurance on my laptop and have had a nightmare last year when my headphone jack broke and went inside. I was without this laptop from Thanksgiving to early January. It was sent from me to Staples, back to me, to HP, back to me, back to Staples, back to me, then back to Staples because of another issue while being repaired, then back to me. Of course this was all by mail and they don't let you ship it out yourself. I had to call their tech support each time, and then they sent a box to my house to use to ship out. It was the worst experience I ever had with tech support. Oh, and they lost my insurance paperwork too, to add to the complication. I stopped counting the hours I was on the phone with them.

No worries though! :-D

billbenson
12-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I may have said it above, or in another post, but if a computer is key to your business, you really should have two. In my case, I really only need desktops, but I have two of them. My wife has a laptop that I'm going to use while traveling over christmas. A refurbished laptop should only be about 400 or so. A little older and slower, but for a lot of people its such a critical part of business, that just having the backup is necessary.

Look at geeks.com I've bought a lot of stuff from them and they frequently have laptop sales. It's really just an insurance policy.

BillR
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Actually - if you are using Windows XP by any chance - there's a utility that lets you copy all of your files/settings from one computer to another.

I believe it copies email, browser settings, everything in your desktop and "My Documents" folder and a bunch of stuff.

You can effectively use this as a backup - provided you have all of your stuff in there.

Alternatively - drop $300 for a small Network Storage device with RAID. They are pretty reliable - and back up everything to it with software. Take it home with you at night.

Better yet - buy two and switch them back and forth.

Evan
12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Bill, I did have a backup. I was just upset with how long the process took. And if anyone has a similar experience, you never know how long it WILL take.

orion_joel
12-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I know when i worked for a retail store, previously they would match all the online pricing that was offered through there online (but seperate) website, however only on products there they stocked in store. The website did offer a lot of additional or different tech products as the site actually was added through an acquisition of another company that had many contracts for special pricing in place.