PDA

View Full Version : 7 Things To Know About the Google Penguin Update

Harold Mansfield
06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Worth a read if you are still working on outdated SEO knowledge:

When Penguin was first released, everyone thought it was an over-optimization update. However, Penguin was more of a webspam update. Yes, it dealt with over-optimization. But it also dealt with all types of webspam…artificial link building, over-optimization, black hat SEO – much more.

Now it’s become clear what types of links Google likes. Google wants natural links. It’s how they designed their algorithm to work. When someone likes a website, they link to it. That’s natural. Therefore, all types of “link building” are unnatural by nature. With Penguin, Google’s underlined a stance on backlinks they’ve had since Panda. Links will help your SEO campaign, no doubt about it. But unless they’re natural, high quality links, they may be hurting you more than they help.

7 Things Most People Don (http://wpmu.org/7-things-most-people-dont-know-about-the-google-penguin-update/)

vangogh
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Good article. Pretty much everything I've read about both the penguin and panda updates. I want to call out point #1

Penguin Should Not Have Been a Surprise

It shouldn't have been. Google has been showing where they've been heading for a long time and these recent changes are right on that path. I know I've suggesting that people stop engaging in link exchanges and similar systems that exist solely to increase the count of artificial links. I know you've been right there with me too. Not everyone wants to listen though.

It's important to see seo as something more than quick and easy things you can do in order to gain some boost in search results. There aren't any short cuts. You need to create the best content you can and then promote it. Ideally you promote in a way that attracts real people. You'd do this in the same way you would if search engines didn't exist.

DeniseTaylor
06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I know what you mean, Vangogh, about people not listening. In fact in the last few years, link building overshadowed all other site building activities and people thought it was all-important. Personally, link building is a distasteful activity. So tedious! I'd rather work on content.

vangogh
07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I think people don't want to listen when what they're hearing means hard work. Not everyone, but many people seek the quick and easy or whatever sounds like it'll be quick and easy. Signing up for some automated link exchange program sounds much easier than creating great content and actively promoting it so that's what people do. Later they plead that they were misinformed or conned by an unscrupulous company.

The truth is there's good and bad information out there and both are easy to find. Which you choose to follow has more to do with you than with what's out there. There are plenty of people who read both the good and bad information and end up following the path that leads to success. Some people will see the hard work necessary on that path and choose the other.

websonalized
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi vangogh, i salute you with that statement as you hit the nail right on the head.. Its common for us to go with the quick and easy thinking for the short term and not the hard road for the long term. Its just human nature and its something that will never stop. Google did the right thing, something that should've been done along time ago.

Alot of sites out there that have used the Black Hat methods they are hardly updated, the information isn't very informative and some website themselves look like they're just there to take your money in some cases.
I'm just sorry for those who got affected by the changes that were infact using White Hat techniques.

No more freebies, work for what you want i say. About time the police came and shuck things up.

vangogh
09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Its common for us to go with the quick and easy thinking for the short term and not the hard road for the long term.

You'd think people might learn after failing with the quick and easy thinking and seeing so many examples of successful companies that did think long term. Still we tend to follow the path of least resistance so maybe it's not all that surprising.

I do find it interesting though, how many people will ask some seo question here and are given good advice, but they don't accept it because it would mean hard work and some patience. Then they come back a couple months later asking the same questions about why their short term quick and easy methods aren't working. Guess it's fine since those of us willing to put in the work will have the competitive advantage.

When I first launched my site I took a long term strategy. It meant I didn't get a lot of traffic out of the gate, but a year or so later I started getting pretty good search traffic. Today most any content I create pulls some traffic and my site passes good value when linking to a page. I could launch a new site and likely have its pages rank well quickly with a few links from my existing site. The long term strategy also helps keeps the site resistant to algorithm changes. Sure it took some time to get going, but after some time the strategy pays off while those looking for the quick and easy are just looking for the next quick and easy after the same time.

synconlinemedia
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Penguin just cleaned up the riff-raff for sure. Like I have said, you used to be able to spend $1000 on links to get ranked. Now you actually need a strategy that works! Paid links are a thing of the past. A good, solid internet strategy is what you need. Our philosophy is to optimize on-site SEO, off-site SEO, Social Media and Content. Stay true to this and you will rank.

vangogh
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Now you actually need a strategy that works!

Which is definitely a good thing. It's good to see Google doing things to combat the spam listings. Hopefully it all works as they and we want, which is often the real question. Still good that they're doing something.

dianecoleen
09-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Good to know that those spammers are now being punished from their unfair acts. In the first place, spam should not been done if they do love and value their websites/business. The way they combat the spammers makes me feel good. =)

vangogh
09-14-2012, 01:53 AM
It is good to know they're trying to rid their search results of the low quality stuff. No matter what system they put in place there will always be some who find holes and figure out how to get through, but it's good to see Google taking steps to remove spam where they can.

Matt121
10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I too think it's good that Google is trying to clean up their search results. However, I think there are times that they're trying to do it a bit too much IMO. The lot of us can't keep up with all the changes Google is trying to pull out of their sleeves. I mean, you do SEO for a few weeks and the next thing you know there's another update rolling out.

vangogh
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I think you're right Matt. Google has been willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I like that they want to clean out the spam and improve results, but they're so focused on spam that they sometimes see it in places where it doesn't exist and they seem not too concerned if they accidentally hurt someone's business in the process.

It's a good reason not to be too reliant on search traffic for your business. it can be great traffic and it makes sense to get more of it, but always keep working at getting more direct and referral traffic too.

angelajason06
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Nice Article I really like the Way You Compare the Panda and Penguin in Last.

KennethT
11-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Well said folks. Nail on the head. No such thing as quick results in this day and age. Closest I see is Video and Blogging for my clients. But again it still is QUALITY and REAL content that gets it done.

dianecoleen
11-27-2012, 06:28 PM
If you're doing what is right according to Google's Terms and Condition then you should not be scared of any updates that they will be releasing. It's just a matter of quality you provide on the website.

Jstetson
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree with a lot of the other posters. Google made a good effort in cleaning up web spam. SEO isn't dead, it is just getting back to what Google always wanted which is to create valuable links and referrals. You can't cut corners anymore. Look for valuable partners within your niche and offer to write a blog post or article. Google will still respect links from relevant partners. Just don't be spammy with it and you'll be fine. It may take a while, but the effort can be worth the reward when done correctly (aka white hat).

vangogh
01-09-2013, 01:52 AM
SEO isn't dead

As long as being at the top of the search results leads to people making money, there will always be people doing what they can to have their sites show up at the top of the search results. SEO isn't going anywhere.

semaphore.v
04-06-2013, 05:33 AM
It does mean all wordpress site owners have been affected by Penguin Update?

vangogh
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Why does it mean that?