PDA

View Full Version : India attacks and outsourcing

billbenson
11-29-2008, 03:54 AM
India has made outsourcing a big industry for them. Not just call centers, but worse for the US economy, engineering, lowering the skill level of our workforce IMO.

I'm not necessarily against outsourcing to other countries as having been an international salesman for years, you realize it is a world economy.

Having said that, I wonder if, that while tragic, the instability in India may have a positive impact on US jobs. Some very large US companies outsource software development to India. That means that someone has to get on an airplane and go over and manage them. I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about traveling there right now, and I've been to a bunch of 3rd world countries.

seolman
11-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I think you may have something there. I spent 10 years traveling in the Gulf region and Southeast Asia. A few years ago I returned to Dubai for a visit while the Gulf War was on and I was very uncomfortable in some areas even amongst some of my Arab friends. I can see less US companies willing to move offshore due to the travel risks. The only caveat I might mention would be there will still be a lot of Indian Execs willing to travel to the US to sell their services so this may offset the need for US Execs to travel...maybe the mountain will come to Mohamed. We'll have to wait and see (does Mohamed live in the US now?).