PDA

View Full Version : Marketing through Speaking Engagements

aldwizkid
06-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi, I am new to the board. I am working with a start-up business that is targeted towards parents with toddlers and babies. It is a company that encourages learning and growth through events and activities. One of the promotional ideas is through speaking engagements. I've done some research for all the big conventions that are small business related but most of the dates on these has passed. Does anyone have ideas on conventions/events that are always seeking speakers and have the same market (parents with young children) or are for small businesses?

ReganP
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Rather than speaking to conventions for small business, I think you should focus on finding groups of parents in your community to speak to. You can contact mom's groups (check meetup.com) preschool groups, and things like that. You can even partner with another business like a toy store that features a lot of learning activities, or a children's clothing store, or kid's museum. They can host the event because they'll want to get people into their place of business, and you can be the entertainment and do a very informative presentation with a bit of a sales pitch at the end. If you're providing really good information and doing more explaining than selling, you'll be able to get tons of customers because you'll be speaking directly to the people you want to reach.

vangogh
06-24-2012, 01:59 AM
I agree with Regan. I think with the bigger events you usually need to be somewhat known before the event will want you speaking. The event makes money by selling tickets and to do that they need speakers the people know. The general idea of marketing through speaking engagements is a good one, but it'll be hard to start a big event. Think smaller and more targeted.

The idea of approaching local stores is a good one. You benefit because the store will help promote the event and they benefit because your event helps them bring more customers in. If you follow Regan's advice for an informational presentation with a small sales pitch at the end you should generate some business.

tmerrill
07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I would also suggest using Go To Webinar. If you have a social following, or are planning on building one, you can get people from your following to come to a webinar. You might be able to reach an even larger, but still targeted audience. I hope that helps.

vangogh
07-09-2012, 01:32 PM
And I'd to offer a downloadable version of the webinar some time after the webinar is done. Give something to people who attend live, like an ability to ask questions or maybe some bonus, but record the webinar and offer a downloadable version later. Not everyone who would like to watch/listen will be able to attend when you're presenting live.

ReganP
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
And I'd to offer a downloadable version of the webinar some time after the webinar is done. Give something to people who attend live, like an ability to ask questions or maybe some bonus, but record the webinar and offer a downloadable version later. Not everyone who would like to watch/listen will be able to attend when you're presenting live.

Yes, this is a great idea! Then, if you can set up multiple events over a period of time, you can get a nice little video archive going. If your presentations offer high quality information you might even get some YouTube subscribers as an added bonus!

vangogh
07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
You can definitely build an archive for reuse. It's also another chance to connect with people. I know I come across a lot of webinars I'd like to watch, but they're usually scheduled when I'm working and so I can't attend live. If they're presented later when I can watch when it's more convenient for me, I often do, and have gone on to subscribe, buy, etc from people.

StefanT
07-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Hey this is a great idea. I like the idea of maybe holding some webinars to promote the business and then having those videos archived on youtube or maybe the website.
:cool:

RyanDerous
08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
You can also use the webinar as encouragement to sign up for your newsletter, if you have one. A number of businesses market heavily through the newsletter, so encouraging someone that if they sign up, they will receive a free, informative webinar on child care (you can pick the subject), it could encourage more signups through the newsletter. This could lead to even more ROI from the webinar.

<please set up a signature through Settings>