PDA

View Full Version : Every Door Direct Mail? Anyone used it?

BiznessAsUsual
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Has anyone here tried the Every Door program from the Postal Service? The commercial on tv says for 15 cents per home they will mail business flyers...

vangogh
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I haven't, but I don't think my business really lends itself to that kind advertising. Seems inexpensive enough to give it a try if you think it fits well with your business. At 15 cents a door you can mail a flyer to 1,000 homes for $150.

tmerrill
06-19-2012, 08:45 AM
I would also add that you should try to get as targeted of a list of homes as possible. For example, you can usually rent a list of business owners from your local Chamber of Commerce. Assuming your business caters to business owners, sending it to this list will be much than sending it to a random number of homes in your local area.

air52
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
My business dont really need this since we service factorys but it seems like a really good way to get your name out if your a web designer or have a local store or repair home computer something like that it might be very affective. i know the local gym did this and they had alot of attention after.

BiznessAsUsual
06-20-2012, 02:45 PM
For a local gym, medical practice, pizzeria, etc it's a much better fit. Thanks

vangogh
06-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah those would all be better fits. Those are typical businesses that might leave something on my door or send something in the mail.

Harold Mansfield
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
For a local gym, medical practice, pizzeria, etc it's a much better fit. Thanks
Definitely. And home services, and repairs, tax preparers, auto services, and local shops..those kinds of businesses still seem to benefit from that kind of advertising. I know I've called a few new pizza joints from nothing more than the menu sticking in my door.

Pack-Secure
09-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Seems like for local businesses that would be a good deal.

David Hunter
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Bump!

We use EDDM for real estate. We send out 8.5" x 11" postcards for 32 cents a piece (16 cents for postage, 4 cents for paper, 12 cents for printing). You can't beat it.

Damon the Marketer
01-18-2014, 04:59 AM
Wouldn't you benefit more by excluding homes less likely to buy and putting that saved money into creating a better offer or mailing campaign?

David Hunter
01-18-2014, 05:51 PM
We use EDDM for farming a specific area (With an offer and we want to be in the homeowners mind when they decide to sell) and we use EDDM when we have a buyer looking for a house in a specific area.

We also send regular mail to past clients in our sphere and 3D mail for expired listings. We're always trying new things. Unfortunately with EDDM, we can't pick and choose which house the postcards get mailed to. It goes by routes.

Sean_DeSilva
01-27-2014, 03:50 PM
EDDM Mailers can be greatly subsidized by looking for complementary, noncompetitive businesses to share a mail piece with. For example, if you're a real estate agent, you would add value to the piece itself as well as greatly cut down on expenses by finding a good mortgage broker, staging company, or general contractor who would be interested in mailing to the same houses that you are.

David Hunter
01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Great idea about subsidizing the EDDM mailings. We thought about doing that with our real estate photographer.

liamdai
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
It depends on your market. Its effective if you target residential customers.

You can only send to residential areas, or residential + commercial. There isn't a commercial only route.

Super cheap compared to regular mailing. I paid 33c per postcard and you get the big one with EDDM.

if you send out 5000 postcards for $750.00 and get 5 customers, do you make a profit?

David Hunter
01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
It depends on your market. Its effective if you target residential customers.
You can only send to residential areas, or residential + commercial. There isn't a commercial only route.
Super cheap compared to regular mailing. I paid 33c per postcard and you get the big one with EDDM.
if you send out 5000 postcards for $750.00 and get 5 customers, do you make a profit?

In real estate you'd make a HUGE profit. HUGE HUGE HUGE.

David Hunter
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
EDDM just had a price increase to $0.175 per postcard.

LordVito9
01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
my thought is who actually looks at the flyers in there mail box any more?

Unless you have a killer point of interest,or a amazing deal,they will just throw it out. Even if you do,they will throw it out. IF you are a local business,your odds are better,but still you run the risk of having your expensive advertisement being thrown out.

David Hunter
01-31-2014, 05:14 PM
In real estate we get great ROI on our postcards.

Google is all about advertising online, but... Do you think Google would send out direct mail if it didn't work?

VeritasCustom
02-05-2014, 10:53 AM
I have not used it as my business caters to other businesses. However if I catered to home owners or the average person I would consider it.

Josh@BrownLeatherCouch
02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi BiznessAsUsual!

Great question. This could be an amazing opportunity, but so much of it depends on your messaging, and your ability to track results. I'd recommend ensuring your brochure or flyer has a single VERY clear call to action - that you can measure. For example, saying 'Call this number' is great, because you can tell if the promotion had the intended effect.

You and I definintely wouldn't invest $150 into a specific type of stock if there was no way to measure it's growth right? That would be pretty silly. Take that same approach with investing into your business through marketing, and you'll do great.

Keep up the good work!

RR151
02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I like to do small split testing used to get the message right...then add a tracking phone number. These numbers come with a whisper feature which is a message that is said to you before the number is answered. The message might be anything you want "This phone call is from direct mailing 102" then the customer comes online...cost is about 3 bucks a month for the service and number...

To finish, you should track all advertising all of the time...