PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Work Orders

joygomez
06-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Hello,

I am trying to understand if there is a need out there for work order tracking. I recently built a software to track work orders and am trying to understand which market to place in. The tracking works similar to how tracking would work for a shipping company like UPS or Fed Ex. Currently my software is integrated into quickBooks but is also available freestanding.

The link below is an explanation of my software.

TrackSharePlus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDBMJsKLD4)

Any comments....

Thanks
Joy

rshughes
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
We use work orders in our assembly operation, but we wouldn't necessarily need (or want) them to be shared with our customers. Tracking merely allows us to figure out where each job is, who is working on it, and when it might be completed. I think most mfg operations use work orders, but usually in combination with other MRP elements such as creating bills of material, parts ordering, and scheduling. If your s/w only offers tracking, we probably wouldn't need to use it.

I like the fact that it's integrated into QB. However, work orders shouldn't be generated by the invoice... usually that's when the order is complete and ready to ship. Our work orders are generated at the time the order is entered. The order and the invoice, while containing similar information, are 2 different documents for us. I could be wrong on this, but I think QB seems to regard these documents as the same thing.

David