PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Version of my site. Need Smart Phone and Tablet Users too.

Harold Mansfield
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Been working on a mobile version of my site and I could use some reviews, and testers.
I've been checking it on my desktop, 10" tablet, iPod Touch and smart phone ( I think those screens are 4 1/2 inches).

A few things.
*Getting everything perfectly aligned for tablets, when in portrait mode (although shame on you if that's how you use your tablet) is still a little rough and I'm still working on it.
*There is no change for landscape mode if you are viewing it from a phone. I figured why bother most people use their phones with one hand, in portrait mode. But you can of course play the video in full screen.
*I'll probably change some stuff before it's all said and done (some images don't match, copy isn't 100%, and so forth) , I just want to know what it looks like on different devices.

You can go directly to the mobile version here: 1stim.com
You should also be redirected to it if you go to my normal URL from a mobile device: 1stinternetmedia.com (but that's a lot to type, hence the other domain).

Edited: I changed the destinations of the codes.

If you have a QR Code scanner installed, here is the code and it will take you to the home page:

If you use Microsoft Tag here is that code to scan and it will take you to an inside page. You can get Tag at gettag.mobi (it's in all the app stores) It's pretty good and scans everything.

All feedback is appreciated.

vangogh
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Just checked on my iPhone and the site is looking good. I didn't click through every page, but I did click through several and everything is working well and looking good. When I have a little more time I'll take a more in-depth look and also check on my iPad.

Is there a reason why you built a separate mobile site instead of going with a responsive design?

Harold Mansfield
06-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks VG.

Is there a reason why you built a separate mobile site instead of going with a responsive design?

Well, I just finished redoing my website(s) earlier this year and I really didn't want to redo them again. I've also had this domain for a couple of years and always wanted to use it for something.
I also wanted to experiment a little without interrupting my existing site. And...I wanted something on a shorter URL that's easier to communicate verbally, and type into a mobile device if neccessary. Especially when it comes to email.

There is one thing missing from this, and that's a fixed toolbar with communication options on it. I'm not a big fan of what I have now and I really want to add that so that it is more familiar with smart phone users. Hopefully will have that in sometime this week.

vangogh
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
That makes sense. You might still have been able to make your existing site more responsive. The first step is making the layout flexible. Swapping out 'px' for % and 'em' There's more to it than that, but it's a good first step. In your css you can set what's called media queries, which allow you to set a different set of styles at various device characteristics. So maybe once you're below 768px your sidebar drops below the main content.

Ideally you plan it out from the start because dropping columns isn't always what you want and there are plenty of other things you might want to adjust. Still even with a few things you can begin to make an existing site responsive.

It's working well on my iPad too (both portrait and landscape). You know I think I even like how it looks better on the iPad than I don on my laptop. I'm clicking around and everything looks good and is loading well. Seems to be working.

I do understand why you chose the separate mobile site though.

Harold Mansfield
06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I've been reading up on making themes responsive. But in this case it was just easier to create a trimmed down version on a shorter URL than to even think about rearranging the content on my other sites.
I just don't think a mobile version needs all of the stuff you put on the desktop version. You are probably going to be fine with tablet viewing either way, but in the case of directing people to web apps, or a mobile version in your offline marketing, the smart phone version needs to be informative, easy to read, navigate with a thumb, and to the point.

As you see I'm really pushing the mobile marketing angle. I really think it's a nice way to engage the offline world with your web world, and NOW it seems to be finally coming around. I think Microsoft has a good product there. But it's worthless if the destination is not smart phone friendly.

In a perfect world, I'd probably do this on a subdomain of the existing site (as an MU set up) , as most clients don't what to manage different sites under different dashboards.

vangogh
06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I just don't think a mobile version needs all of the stuff you put on the desktop version.

Maybe, maybe not. Stats show that most people use their mobile devices to surf the web while sitting on the couch. They grab their phone or tablet because it's closer than the computer. They're often looking for the same information they would be were they sitting at their computer.

You can't display all the same information at once because of the smaller screen size, but you probably want to still include most of not all of the same information, even if some of it needs to be a click or tap away. You might also ask yourself if something doesn't need to be included on a phone does it really need to be on the desktop version? Or are you including just because there's more space so you can include it?

the smart phone version needs to be informative, easy to read, navigate with a thumb, and to the point

None of that requires a separate mobile site on a new URL. If you build a different site specifically for a smart phone you have 2 sites to maintain instead of one. You've also created a new site for a specific device or set of devices. That won't target all devices and it won't account for any new ones.

With a responsive site you design to your content instead of the device. You design so your content is easy to read and navigate, etc regardless of the device.

Harold Mansfield
06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I agree, but I'm already down the rabbit hole. I certainly wouldn't do it this way for clients, but I'm better equiped to have and run multiple websites than they are.
For a client, I'd likely set a mobile version of an existing site on a subdomain and add it to the same installation via MU set up.

However, for new sites, from here on out, I'm going to offer an all in one solution.

As far as the content. It's not so much about not including pertinent information, it just needs to be streamlined. For instance, a mobile version may not include an entire testimonials page. Certainly wouldn't include things like Facebook "like" widgets, Twitter feeds ( unless that is important to the sites purpose) or anything that directs the client away to somewhere that isn't mobile friendly. Probably use fewer graphics, and definitely trim down the amount of things in the sidebar.

But then again, every project is different. A book author, for instance DOES want those testimonials. For a resturant, contact and making reservations is more important than "Joining us on Facebook.".

The facebook thing is tricky anyway because everyone has different apps and a direct connection to Facebook via the browser IS NOT mobile (smart phone) friendly.

vangogh
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Oh yeah. I'm not suggesting you should change anything. Sorry if I'm coming across that way. I think the mobile version of your site turned out well. I'm mostly suggesting responsive design for future projects. You'll have to build a couple or three to get a feel for it, but the more you do, the easier it becomes. Long term there are going to be far too many devices to build sites specifically for them all. There already are too many.

There will be times where it makes sense to design something for a specific device, but even then there will be so many other devices. Responsive design can help make sure your site works across as many devices as possible. Just suggesting it's something you should look more into it. The move to responsive design is similar to when the industry moved from table-based layouts to css based layouts. This is the next progression.

Harold Mansfield
06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll be honest. Worrying about how a site looks on a phone, probably would have still been on my back burner untill I got into MS Tags, NFC and QR codes. NOW, it all makes so much more sense, than just doing it for the sake of having it readable on a phone.

Now, it can be instant engagement from anywhere, with any content, for any reason. I like that. I like that A LOT. The possiblities are endless.
Dare I say, [with the rise of mobile use over desktop and laptop] mobile marketing is the future. But that could easily change by the end of the year the way things are going. So I wont' say it :)

vangogh
06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
There's no question mobile is the future. In lots of countries everyone has a smart phone and no one has a computer. Not literally of course, but you know what I mean. Most people are going to be fine using a phone and a tablet. It'll be people like you and me who are creating websites or building tools that need computers. Plus geolocation opens up mobile devices in so many more ways.

Where it's going to get even crazier is all the other devices that end up being connected. It's happening in cars now. We're going to have to start thinking how we can interact through audio with people driving. How long till our homes are connected. Connected TVs are here if not yet entirely popular. Maybe the fridge will be able to read what's inside and connect to the local grocery store. At some point every screen you see will be touch enabled and connected to the internet in some way. That's why I like responsive design. You may decide it makes sense to build a separate site for a phone, but are you also going to build sites for the car and tv and table and browser. Probably not. That's where you'll have a responsive site. It'll be the site running on most devices even if you make one specifically for a specific device.