PDA

View Full Version : How about a Review?

seolman
11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Hello everyone. I've recently put together a web site for persons wanting to learn a little something about SEO. It's basically an outlet for me to write about SEO and help others learn a little something about the subject. It's nothing more than a Wordpress template and some text.

The funy thing is I don't even have time to optimize the site itself :D

I'd appreciate some honest feedback about how I might make it better.

Thanks in advance to all. The link in my sig is the site.

billbenson
11-29-2008, 02:38 AM
I liked it and the way you used the betty lou and marvin (I forget the names you actually used) to present the material.

I didn't look at your SEO as you said you really hadn't done any.

I don't have any blogs, but I always question whether a long linear blog is the best way to present material although it certainly is popular now. I would build the site in sections with articles linking to other articles. I've been told you can do that in wordpress. I would think that would be better for SEO in the long run and easier to navigate. Just my opinion though.

seolman
11-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for looking the site over Bill and the comments. I will take them to heart. You are right about the linear concept - I will likely be breaking that up a bit. The posts are actually broken into pages but the blog is set up to just throw all of them on the home page at present. I'll be building a permanent home page later with some teasers for "latest posts".

I've done very little as regards SEO on the site. I'm so busy doing SEO for others and to be honest, with all the competition out there for "seo advice" "seo blog" etc I'm not really pursuing that avenue for traffic anyway. Most of my traffic would be coming from other sources. I have a lot of clients who have fun playing with SEO in their own site and I'm going to be sending them to this blog - plus I'll be placing links on at least a hundred other sites so I expect traffic will pick up fairly quickly. Organic traffic will grow from there.

Thanks again for the review - I truly appreciate it.

KristineS
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I like the site. I have to agree that in time it should expand into a web site with static pages, but the blog is a good start. It's well written and easy to understand and entertaining which is always half the battle.

I like your About Me page too. That picture your wife took is too cool!

seolman
11-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I like the site. I have to agree that in time it should expand into a web site with static pages, but the blog is a good start. It's well written and easy to understand and entertaining which is always half the battle.

I like your About Me page too. That picture your wife took is too cool!

Thanks Kristine. My wifey is pretty good with a camera and Costa Rica is an amazing place to take photos. I'll share a few in some other posts later.;)

billbenson
11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Your wife from Costa Rica? Only reason I ask is my wife is from Central America. I met her while living there. Beautiful part of the world, although most parts are pretty dangerous right now. I hear Costa Rica and Panama are still pretty safe. Been 8 years since I've been down there now.

seolman
12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Yes I met her here many years ago. We've been married about 10 years now. Central America has calmed down quite a bit, although Ortega is back in power in Nicaragua. I think South America is getting far more volatile. I would rather be in Nicaragua than Venezuela right now :P

It's much easier for me no that I'm fluent in Spanish. I don't get treated like the typical "Gringo" anymore ;)

billbenson
12-01-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm pretty much bilingual as well. My wife is from El Salvador which is one of the places I have lived. The gang activity there is extremely organized and dangerous. It's creaping into Guatamala and I assume other countries.

Ya, Chavez has ruined Venezuela. CANTV the phone company there, was a good client and I used to go there twice a month. For years! He has ruined that country, but other than that, I think South America is safer and more stable. Particularly if you go way south to Chile and Argentina which were pretty much first world countries the last time I visited.

I've been married 10 years as well and based on the photo in your blog our ages aren't that far apart. Who knows, we might have crossed paths in the past?

seolman
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Costa Rica is becoming more dangerous every day. Not the little paradise it was when I arrived in 1991. Columbian gangs are here in strength and now there are so many Nicaraguan refugees (well over 1 million) I'm starting to call it Costa Nica. I'm not anti Nicaragua but there are a few violent elements that come in with those seeking a better life so life can get a bit edgy at times depending where you are. I guess we're waaayy off topic so I'll stop here...