PDA

View Full Version : Setting up second website

Georgias Gifts
05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm just kicking around the idea of starting a second website with a specialty product. I want to make sure I know the right steps to take.

First I need to register a domain name, right? My current site is registered on network solutions which I think is expensive. Any suggestions on other places?

Will some webhosts also provide the domain registration plus ecommerce, all in one package? I just need a few thoughts or suggestions from you to help in my research. Any comments are appreciated.

billbenson
05-29-2012, 10:23 PM
A good rule of thumb is to not register your domain at the same place you host it. The reason being, one company has total control of your web business should they go out of business or do something fraudulent.

I wouldn't use Network Solutions as they have had problems in the past. I use Godaddy who is an honest quality domain registrar. The downside to Godaddy is you have to weed through all the stuff they try to upsell just to register a domain. There are other good domain registrars. I'm sure others will give you some suggestions.

MyITGuy
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I use Godaddy who is an honest quality domain registrar.

I used to be a big supporter of GoDaddy, however I decided to stop using them after the SOPA fiasco.

I've switched to enom myself, but I'm not sure if purchasing direct via enom is possible for a single domain (I have a $100 minimum deposit in order to make purchases).

Bill also offers great advice on keeping these purchases with separate providers. I've seen too many posts about people loosing control over their domains for a wide variety of issues...and the majority of them had the domains/hosting with the same company.

MyITGuy
05-30-2012, 12:21 AM
First I need to register a domain name, right? My current site is registered on network solutions which I think is expensive. Any suggestions on other places?

1st - Determine where the domain name will be hosted. Does your current hosting account allow for add-on domains? This allows you to associate multiple domains to the same account, but keep the pages/design separate. If not, see if you can get an upgrade through your current host, or look for a host that allows for add-on domains. Once you figure this out, ask them for the name servers you should use.

2nd - Register your domain name and provide the name server information from step 1 when asked.

3rd - Create your site, optimize it for search engines and etc...

MostHeather
05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
It looks as if the kind members of S-B-F have already answered all of your questions, so I just thought I'd wish you good luck on your new venture! :) I hope that you find a host that can meet all of your requirements..

Georgias Gifts
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks all for your advice and comments. They have been very helpful. I plan to start by checking my current hosting as suggested.