PDA

View Full Version : W3 Schools Certifications. Worth it?

Harold Mansfield
05-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I've been looking at the certifications offered by W3Schools.
Obviously the website is a trusted resource and tool for web developers.

Do you think investing in the Certifications is worth the money, as a way to instill more confidence with potential clients?

I always see people list their skills, but never any certifications of degrees.
What do you guys think?

billbenson
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
For a one man show such as yourself I would tend to doubt your customers know who w3 Schools is. If you were going to try to get a job for a large design firm it might make sense? Just my 2.5 cents.

krymson
05-23-2012, 01:41 AM
It can't hurt... If you're freelancing it would be good, but as previously stated i doubt clients will know what W3 schools is. You might hear w3 wha? more than oh thats cool as the first response. Now if you're trying to get hired at a company for a web design position well worth it. If not and you just wanna get it so you can say yeah i did it then go for it.

Harold Mansfield
05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
That's kind of where I'm at too . In the "Can't Hurt" stage. Do a couple, throw the logos on my website and move on.

chrisx16x2008
06-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Short answer.. No. Long answer.. W3 Schools is known for teaching "wrong" or invalid stuff. On the top it looks like it is very professional and points out the outdated mark up etc.. Check out W3 Fools (http://w3fools.com/). In web development and the like certifications really don't mean anything. Your best bet is to create sample websites and web applications then showcase them. That is 10 times better than any "certification" or "degree". NOTE: You may go to college or learn from certication sources BUT it's not the paper that makes a client want you.. It's your implementation. Only reason to show off a cert (and not a W3 Cert) or a degree would be to land a job working for a company not a client. Even that is questionable though.

P.S. Just noticed you already have a portfolio and such.. great work. No need for a cert with what you have.

Harold Mansfield
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Short answer.. No. Long answer.. W3 Schools is known for teaching "wrong" or invalid stuff. On the top it looks like it is very professional and points out the outdated mark up etc.. Check out W3 Fools (http://w3fools.com/). In web development and the like certifications really don't mean anything. Your best bet is to create sample websites and web applications then showcase them. That is 10 times better than any "certification" or "degree". NOTE: You may go to college or learn from certication sources BUT it's not the paper that makes a client want you.. It's your implementation. Only reason to show off a cert (and not a W3 Cert) or a degree would be to land a job working for a company not a client. Even that is questionable though.

P.S. Just noticed you already have a portfolio and such.. great work. No need for a cert with what you have.

That all makes perfect sense and kind of what I thought too. Besides, most clients have no idea what it is anyway. I could make up a certification and put a nice "official" looking logo on my site and they would think that it was valid.