PDA

View Full Version : post office is now offering bulk sales marketing to specific zip codes

huggytree
05-18-2012, 08:39 PM
i want to break into my local market...badly...but i dont know how without sending mailers to every house over and over

now i see the post office is offering such a service.....i see commercials for it constantly

anyone use it yet? cost?

ive always figured mass mailings would cost me $5,000+ for a 10,000 population city........thats why ive stayed away from it

Steve B
05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Mailings usually end up around $1 per house after you factor in all printing and postage costs. It's all about ROI and you just won't know until you try it a couple times.

I have found people to put my material in newspaper boxes for far less than the postage rate (I last paid 5 cents per house for the delivery portion). I only paid about 4 cents for the printing. We handed out 15,000 and didn't get a single phone call. But, it might be totally different for a plumber. A mobile groomer does the same thing I do and gets great results.

huggytree
05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
i sent for the info packet from the USPS

no way id pay $1 per house....id never get the payback

BNB
05-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Direct mail is very expensive and very difficult to get a return. Most people nowadays are so sick of it that they don't even read your message.

Steve B
05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
You'll have to do postcards if you want to stay under $1.

BigDaddyDeals
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Direct mail is very expensive and very difficult to get a return. Most people nowadays are so sick of it that they don't even read your message.

You are partially right, but the ones that read your message can put a lot of money into your pocket. Direct mail works better than ever if done right. Many large companies, internet marketers and even Google use direct mail.

The program mentioned by the OP is the Every Door Direct Mail program. Your piece must be a certain size to qualify. It works best for products and services people use regularly, but some businesses with a huge margin do well with it also. There are some companies that are doing an exclusive co-op mailing which will reduce your cost even more.

77% of people still sort thru their mail immediately. I don't know what kind of business the OP has to suggest whether it would work or not.

Russ in Vancouver
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Sometimes it is not about an immediate direct response. We call it unaddressed ad mail up here in Canada. Many companies use it for branding in a marketing campaign. They may not get a direct response, but grouped with seeing your other static ads say on a bus bench or on the side of your truck will help them to recall your services or products.

I use it selectively in postal codes where I just did a deal or service and the client allows me to use their address. So I will draft up a double sided 8.5"x11" and then have it tri folded like a take out pizza menu. Mail it out asap after the deal is done.
"Another happy customer"
list of services provided
before and after pictures or results of the services rendered etc..
Special promotions and coupons
contact info.
lots of white space

One of the clients neighbours may have seen your truck parked there and forgot to write your number down....
Takes a little more time than mass mailing but saves money by controlling the amount of flyers/postcards.

BiznessAsUsual
06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Woops, I just made another thread about this. It does not cost $1 per home to use it. It is only 15 cents per home + printing costs. If you go to EveryDoorDirectMail.com you can do everything for $0.27 per home (lowest price I found including design+print+postage).

BiznessAsUsual
06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
How many of you bring in the mail the day it is delivered? Doesn't it seem like it would be higher than 77%?