PDA

View Full Version : Krymson Productions Redesign

krymson
05-18-2012, 12:48 AM
After some long hours put in the new design of Krymson Productions is done, let me know what you think. Its in HTML5, CSS3, and WordPress using some great transitions, css media queries for responsive design. Still smoothing out any rough edges, let us know if you see some so we can fix them. Also let us know what you think of the social media links at the bottom, but dont spend too much time they're addicting.

Site: www.krymsonproductions.com (http://www.krymsonproductions.com)

Again let us know what you think.

vangogh
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM
First impression is good. Everything seems nicely done. The content is well organized, the colors work well together, and the important information is front and center. I'm not a big fan of image sliders. I think the movement distracts. I don't mind them when the transition between images happens slower. I generally don't think they add anything. Of course that's a subjective opinion.

In Firefox (I'm on a Mac too) the captcha is sitting on top of the comment box on the content page. It's sitting below on Safari, but it's not where you want in FF.

This probably isn't an issue, but around 750px, the content in the sidebar overlaps with the main content. It continues to overlap until around 640px where the layout turns to a single column. Kudos on going responsive. Other than those 100px it's working well.

I'm not crazy about the indicator below the navigation. The transition on it is very nice, but the shape doesn't feel right. I think one triangular shape would work better. Three almost comes across like it's a mistake you didn't mean. I do like how the navigation bar remains fixed. Nice transition on the social buttons in the footer.

On single posts I only see one link in the recent posts section in the footer. I'm seeing 5 on the main blog page. I like the read more buttons. Cool using border-radius on opposite corners.

Your font is coming through as generic sans-serif everywhere. I notice in style.css you have this around line 195

html, button, input, select, textarea {
font-family: sans-serif;
color: #222;
}

I think including html in there is overriding all the font-family properties you have set across the document.

The testimonial in the sidebar has too much indentation for my taste. I think you can reduce the left margin on the block to 20px. I actually like it between 10px and 15px, but I think it works at 20px too.

Overall it's looks good. I was going through the site looking for things to find wrong with it, hence most of my comments above, but I think it looks really good.

MyITGuy
05-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Performance/Speed!
It takes 7-10 seconds on average for me to visit each of your pages.
I ran a load test on your site (Auto-generated (Sat May 19 2012 12:09:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)) - Load Impact - On Demand Website Load Testing and Performance Testing Service (http://loadimpact.com/load-test/krymsonproductions.com-9be5815dd018cf1354e7ed0c51dabab0)) which resulted in Database errors once you hit 25 concurrent users on your site...definitely not an ideal situation...

krymson
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I'm working with my hosting provider, before I even changed design my server has been running horribly slow. I might have to switch hosting providers if this keeps up.