PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mail Information and Tools

Paul Elliott
11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Here is a link to the USPS Direct Mail section. It is surprisingly innovative and helpful. For anyone doing DM, I suggest going through these materials.

USPS - Direct Mail (http://www.usps.com/directmail/welcome.htm?from=home&page=directmail)

Of course, the bundling and pricing of USPS mail is still incredibly obtuse and difficult to do correctly without software, but we can always hope.

Paul

Steve B
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Paul. I've dabbled in direct mail a couple times, but the results weren't good enough to cover expenses (3 phone calls and one job out of 3,000 - if I'm remembering correctly). I split the mailing with another guy and we promoted both businesses in the same envelope. I actully paid someone to hand address plain white envelopes (with my personal return address) and put a real first class stamp on them. I wanted to know what the absolute best return rate could possibly be before I started saving money by sending at bulk rates etc. I was very dissapointed.

I don't know if it was my material, or if it was the timing. My list was very good as I got few returned and I targeted the right incomes and demographics. I probably did it just at the beginning of the economic downturn (I guess we can use the word recession now that it's official). I'd be curious to hear others experience with DM. Of course, there are very few on this board that have a business similar to mine - so it may be hard to find a good comparison. I'm hoping to seeing Makela back on this forum soon.

vangogh
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link Paul. Direct mail isn't something I engage in, but it's always good to know where to go for info should that change.

Paul Elliott
01-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks Paul. I've dabbled in direct mail a couple times, but the results weren't good enough to cover expenses (3 phone calls and one job out of 3,000 - if I'm remembering correctly). I split the mailing with another guy and we promoted both businesses in the same envelope. I actully paid someone to hand address plain white envelopes (with my personal return address) and put a real first class stamp on them. I wanted to know what the absolute best return rate could possibly be before I started saving money by sending at bulk rates etc. I was very dissapointed.

Steve, perhaps the offer was the reason it didn't get any better response. On your next try--if there is a next one--I suggest you not use hand addressing. I know there are those that advocate hand addressing, but in a business you want to appear professional. Hand addressing is less business-like.

Of course, when you are mailing an envelope, your first hurdle is getting your readers to open the piece. A good technique for this is to print a tease or mini-headline on the envelope.

While 3,000 is a little small for you to do an A/B split, that would help you improve your piece.

I certainly wouldn't give up on DM with only a single try even if you had a professional design it for you.

If you care to share more description of the mailing and even the text, we'll be glad to look at it and offer some suggestions.

Paul

Patrysha
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Another thing about direct mail, it's usually better to go with a smaller target group (if $$ are an issue and aren't they always!!) and send out a series of at least 3 mailings rather than have just a single one. They don't have to all be letters...subsequent mailings could be postcards to remind them of the original offer...it just depends on the offer, your target and the intended results.

You have a much better chance of recouping your costs and making a profit on a campaign.

I agree with Paul on the handwriting especially on a first contact. After you've established a relationship with the list (they're clients/customers and have responded to your offers before) then handwriting can be a personal touch that makes them feel special and valued. But if it's a cold list then it's better to project professionalism.

thx4yrtym
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Steve,

One of my clients was a home improvement contractor ( retired about a year ago) . He would send out 35,000 - 40,000 postcards per year using one of my programs. The program would print the cards including the addresses BUT he would always put the first class stamp on by hand.

This mailing system was his only form of advertising. He sold replacement windows and doors. He would put an extra $50 into each job he did. This was enough to pay for a mailing of about 100 cards around each and every job.

His secretary would use a cd purchased from a service that she could look up the street for the job and pick out 100 homes around the job. The card was very simple. It was always a bright color and in big letters said "watch for the beautiful new windows at 1234 Cline Street" . Never used the name just the address. This would generate more jobs in the area, so lots of folks got brightly colored cards several times.

The repetition breeds familiarity and he thought that that was more important than the message.

You could probably try something similar as a test. Not everyone has a dog put we all know someone who has one.

Just a thought.

regards,

Gregg

Paul Elliott
01-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Another thing about direct mail, it's usually better to go with a smaller target group (if $$ are an issue and aren't they always!!) and send out a series of at least 3 mailings rather than have just a single one. They don't have to all be letters...subsequent mailings could be postcards to remind them of the original offer...it just depends on the offer, your target and the intended results.

Great point, Patrysha. The best response is usually between the 2nd and 3rd mailing, EVEN IF the mailing pieces are the same. Assuming a well-designed piece.

Paul

Paul Elliott
01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
He would send out 35,000 - 40,000 postcards per year using one of my programs. The program would print the cards including the addresses BUT he would always put the first class stamp on by hand.

Testing usually shows that "live postage" (actual stamps) "pulls" better for these community mailings.

This mailing system was his only form of advertising. He sold replacement windows and doors. He would put an extra $50 into each job he did. This was enough to pay for a mailing of about 100 cards around each and every job.

With lawn care--and fencing :D--I found that door hangers in the area of a new lawn care/landscaping job worked very well and always more than paid for themselves. The services could offer a discount on the annual fees with the explanation that if 8 or 10 yards would use their services, the saving in travel time and fuel could be passed on as a savings.

That way other homeowners would become the best sales people for the business. The results? Excellent!

His secretary would use a cd purchased from a service that she could look up the street for the job and pick out 100 homes around the job. The card was very simple. It was always a bright color and in big letters said "watch for the beautiful new windows at 1234 Cline Street" . Never used the name just the address. This would generate more jobs in the area, so lots of folks got brightly colored cards several times.

That type of advertising is like having a giant billboard in the neighborhood ... IF the business will use it!

The repetition breeds familiarity and he thought that that was more important than the message.

Again, illustrating the principle of 3 or more mailings.

You could probably try something similar as a test. Not everyone has a dog put we all know someone who has one.

Privacy and added attractiveness to the landscaping are other reasons besides pet control.

Paul

Steve B
01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
"Privacy and added attractiveness to the landscaping are other reasons besides pet control."

Actually, not in my case. You can't see my fence.

Paul Elliott
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
"Privacy and added attractiveness to the landscaping are other reasons besides pet control."

Actually, not in my case. You can't see my fence.

OK, many of the ones in the north Dallas, TX, and Louisiana areas are partially visible from the street or the greenways behind the houses. I would imagine that there are some opportunities for public visibility. Consider capitalizing on those that do exist.

Do people in your market ever put attractive fencing in their front yards?

Paul

thx4yrtym
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I might send a card announcing that your trucks will be in the neighborhood installing your invisible fence and that folks should note the condition of the yard when you are finished.

No holes, no mess , no dirt mounds, nothing.

Your fence was very carefully placed below the surface yet keeps pets out of harms way and helps the owner train the pet to stay in the yard.

different angle but the same principles apply and the result should be the same.

Gregg

Paul Elliott
01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
You can't see my fence.

OIC, you install only invisible pet fences. I had the impression you installed all types of fencing.

Paul

Paul Elliott
01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I might send a card announcing that your trucks will be in the neighborhood installing your invisible fence and that folks should note the condition of the yard when you are finished.

No holes, no mess , no dirt mounds, nothing.

Your fence was very carefully placed below the surface yet keeps pets out of harms way and helps the owner train the pet to stay in the yard.

Gregg

Good approach, Gregg.

I'm sure you can get a mailing list of all dog owners in a given area--zip code or the old CRS and mail them cards promoting your fencing.

A good list broker can tell you what's available.

Paul

Steve B
01-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I too like the idea of mailing to the immediate area where I'll be installing a fence. I can get this info. from my list company.

It will be a nice addition to what I already do (hit the newspaper boxes with brochures on the day of the installation, put a yard sign up for a few days, and a permanent sign by the mailbox). Plus, they will see my van on the street for a few hours while I'm doing the installation. Sometimes, I can get three or four on the same street within a year or two.

Paul Elliott
01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I too like the idea of mailing to the immediate area where I'll be installing a fence. I can get this info. from my list company.

Try your mailing the week before to tell them to check the yard quality before and after your installation to see if they can see any evidence you have been there (other than your truck).

Tell them to stop by when your truck is at the installation and pick up a coupon--special, unbelievable offer--at the display box on the side of your truck. Put a box with a handful of brochures with coupons.

It will be a nice addition to what I already do (hit the newspaper boxes with brochures on the day of the installation, put a yard sign up for a few days, and a permanent sign by the mailbox). Plus, they will see my van on the street for a few hours while I'm doing the installation. Sometimes, I can get three or four on the same street within a year or two.

This likely means that you are getting some word-of-mouth advertising from your customers. You can get even more by asking for it. (See the free e-course below.)

Be sure to record every inquiry's source of learning about your business. At least monthly, analyze where your leads are coming from. Then, see which lead sources convert the best.

Keep working on it!

Paul

Steve B
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
I definitely get a lot of word of mouth. And, I always ask for it from my customers. Customer referals is #2 on my list and it's the only one that is completely free!

I ask everyone who calls where they heard of me - and, I've made a specific plan for enhancing every one of the categories. I analyze this data almost daily (I love data).

I like the idea of asking them to stop by when they see the truck. But, I won't be offering them anything special (other than my already fantastic overall value and unrivaled customer service). I don't want the original customer to get a worse deal than subsequent customers.

Paul Elliott
01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I definitely get a lot of word of mouth. And, I always ask for it from my customers. Customer referals is #2 on my list and it's the only one that is completely free!

By all means stimulate that WOM rather than simply waiting for it to happen.

I ask everyone who calls where they heard of me - and, I've made a specific plan for enhancing every one of the categories. I analyze this data almost daily (I love data).

Great!

I like the idea of asking them to stop by when they see the truck. But, I won't be offering them anything special (other than my already fantastic overall value and unrivaled customer service). I don't want the original customer to get a worse deal than subsequent customers.

Of course not, but you can offer the current customer a little something extra--part of your WOM campaign.

BTW, how long does your fencing last before there is some failure?
What are the types of failure that typically occur?
What is your guarantee?

Paul

Steve B
01-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Actually, I need to make a correction. WOM is #1 on my list of "where customers come from" at 23.5%.

"BTW, how long does your fencing last before there is some failure?"
Indefinitely with the buried wire (like the wiring in your house). Indefinitely with the transmitter that hangs in the house (similar in technology to a radio). The collars will last 10+ years - but they are covered with a lifetime warrenty.

Almost all failures are due to someone doing landscaping and cutting the wire (which is easily fixed). Other failures are from the owner allowing the collar to get too loose.

What is your guarantee?
There are multiple aspects to the guarantee which are all detailed on the website. The guarantee is the best in the industry. The highlites are: 60 day unconditional money back guarantee on everything, one year line break guarantee (regardless of cause), one year guarantee on all hardware, lifetime warrenty on all hardware, etc.

billbenson
01-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Out of curiousity, Steve, if the line breaks, how do you find it. It might be obvious if someone digs, but otherwise ???

Steve B
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I have some equipment that puts a radio signal on the wire. Then I have a receiver that I use to follow the signal. The signal of course begins to fade near the break. If there is only a single break - it's pretty easy to find. The homeowner can do it themselves with a $3 part from Radio Shack (RF Choke) and an AM radio.

billbenson
01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Interesting, might help me with occasional sprinkler system problems. They are always failing.

jem
01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
So we are just dipping our toe into the Direct Mail market.

Here are the results so far
1) Mailed 76 hand addressed envelopes - got 1 call and an appointment.
2) Followed up with emails (to those that have them addr's we could get) - one response
3) Fired out 100 jumbo postcards (to original 76 + 24 new addrs) - they landed yesterday/today so will see the results soon

I appreciate these are VERY small samples, we're just trying out a few things.

I think we need to strengthen our "free widget" offer on the postcards to really get folks to respond, planning to do that and get some more postcards out the door today...

Paul Elliott
01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I think we need to strengthen our "free widget" offer on the postcards to really get folks to respond, planning to do that and get some more postcards out the door today...

What is your offer? How do you select your mail list?

Paul

jem
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Paul,

For the most part mainly free consultations - which I think is weak. We are developing a report which will be the next thing to test

We target local businesses who are ACTIVELY spending money NOW. So we look at coupons, local ads in papers etc and target those businesses...

JEM

Paul Elliott
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually, I need to make a correction. WOM is #1 on my list of "where customers come from" at 23.5%.

What value could you add for referrals? Free additional collars for 5 years for additional pets? How about a $20 gift card for a local restaurant?

Is there some other option you have for which a charge is usually made that you could offer free for referral?

Almost all failures are due to someone doing landscaping and cutting the wire (which is easily fixed). Other failures are from the owner allowing the collar to get too loose.

In that case, is the failure simply that the electrodes do now make an adequate contact with the dog's skin to deliver the shock? Or do they simply slip off the animal's head?

What is your guarantee?
There are multiple aspects to the guarantee which are all detailed on the website. The guarantee is the best in the industry. The highlites are: 60 day unconditional money back guarantee on everything, one year line break guarantee (regardless of cause), one year guarantee on all hardware, lifetime warrenty on all hardware, etc.

That sounds comprehensive. How often does the technology change with "new, improved" transmitters, etc.?

Paul

Paul Elliott
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
For the most part mainly free consultations - which I think is weak. We are developing a report which will be the next thing to test.

Anytime you make a statement, claim, offer, etc., imagine your customer would say, "So what?" You need to be addressing that question.

Report? So what?

Why would I, as your customer, need your services? If I'm already doing well, what would your services help for me?

What is the problem I have that you can solve? How do you know what problem/s I need solutions to?

We target local businesses who are ACTIVELY spending money NOW. So we look at coupons, local ads in papers etc and target those businesses...

First of all, when I go to your site, I can't tell who "we" are. There are no names, pics, bios, or local number. Personally I would rather deal with someone in NJ than in Moldova or Kazakhstan. Your site certainly does not reassure me. Why are you hiding from me?

Next, what sorts of businesses offering what coupons or what types of ads?

Lumpy mail with airline vomit bags as the "lump?" Be very careful that you understand your customer well enough that you don't deliver the wrong message. Being too cute or too innovative can reap a harvest of unintended consequences, if you don't think it through very carefully.

Paul

jem
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Anytime you make a statement, claim, offer, etc., imagine your customer would say, "So what?" You need to be addressing that question.

Report? So what?

Why would I, as your customer, need your services? If I'm already doing well, what would your services help for me?

What is the problem I have that you can solve? How do you know what problem/s I need solutions to?

First of all, when I go to your site, I can't tell who "we" are. There are no names, pics, bios, or local number. Personally I would rather deal with someone in NJ than in Moldova or Kazakhstan. Your site certainly does not reassure me. Why are you hiding from me?

Next, what sorts of businesses offering what coupons or what types of ads?

Lumpy mail with airline vomit bags as the "lump?" Be very careful that you understand your customer well enough that you don't deliver the wrong message. Being too cute or too innovative can reap a harvest of unintended consequences, if you don't think it through very carefully.

Paul

I think you missed the point we are *considering* it.

You are spot on, on a number of things. The age of our biz is measured in days (maybe weeks now) - so we are working hard to get it 'ship shape and Bristol fashion' ....lot's more to do, but it's fun and we are enjoying it.

Paul, I'm not hiding from you, I just had no idea you wanted to see a bald, fat British guy, but maybe I'll dig out a pic just for you!!!! In fact if you ever get over to Monmouth County NJ (or NYC in general) I'll give you a big hug and buy you a beer! Then you'll know I'm real.Although my wife complains I'm a real PIA!!!!

Simon

Steve B
01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Paul,

Yes - the loose collars merely results in the metal probes losing contact with the skin.

The technology seems to have leveled off. No significant changes in the last 5 years.

Paul Elliott
02-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Paul, I'm not hiding from you, I just had no idea you wanted to see a bald, fat British guy, but maybe I'll dig out a pic just for you!!!! In fact if you ever get over to Monmouth County NJ (or NYC in general) I'll give you a big hug and buy you a beer! Then you'll know I'm real.Although my wife complains I'm a real PIA!!!!

The more "normal"--fat, bald, green skin, whatever--you are the more connection your customers will be able to make with you.

TV commercial producers learned about 50+ years ago that using perfect models didn't sell as much product as average looking ones. Of course, there are exceptions, but the principle still holds. People who are too beautiful or handsome are people we have a hard time identifying with psychologically.

Paul

Paul Elliott
02-03-2009, 01:24 AM
The technology seems to have leveled off. No significant changes in the last 5 years.

Are there any changes in the near future? Where is the next logical step in the industry?

Paul