PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

KristineS
11-25-2008, 10:15 AM
So, what is everyone, or at least those of us in the U.S., doing for Thanksgiving? I'm going to my sister's house. My niece and nephews have requested I bring homemade Chex Mix. It doesn't seem like a traditional Thanksgiving dish, but that's what they want.

What are the rest of you doing?

Evan
11-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Everyone (our immediate family is still a small, relatively young 20s family -- no marriages / kids yet) will be coming over including our aunts. None of us like turkey, so we actually make chicken! My mother takes care of most of the cooking, but everyone usually brings something over whether it's an appetizer or dessert.

Thanksgiving can be pretty stressful for a lot of people, but it's always nice to have a day to be with the family and eat together. With today's rapid-paced society, family dinners seem to have become a novelty item.

Aaron Hats
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
This is the first year in years that we're staying home. We usually drive 2 1/2 hours south to be with family but not this year. We saw most of them this past Sunday and will see some again in two weeks so we're going to kick back at home. My mother-in-law and a sister-in-law will arrive Thursday night and visit for the long weekend. Today, we're getting some fresh snow so I may go out deer hunting...we'll see. I always have good intentions but those flannel sheets are so comfortable in the morning. :D In the end, we'll have dinner for two in front of the fire.

We have plenty to be grateful for this year. Thank you God.

Aaron

derekanders
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
It looks like my family is having a small thanksgiving this year, but hopefully we can spend time with the rest of the family on Christmas.

Have a great thanksgiving everyone!

Blessed
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
the three of us are going over to my in-law's where we'll join the two of them along with one of my husband's sisters, her hubby and their three kids and one of my mother-in-laws sons along with his wife and their two kids - usually one or two of the older people in our church without family around join us too, but I don't know if any of them are coming this year - we'll have six kids under the age of 12 and 8 or more adults... lots of food, conversation, laughing and then groaning because we ate too much food while we sit around visiting and looking at the Black Friday sale papers.

billbenson
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Family is spread out all over the country and my friends are going to be with family. Like Evan, neither my wife or I like Turkey and I've had it in fine restaurants. Last year we had lobster. Might do that again this year. Forget how I cooked them, I thing I just steamed them in some lobster boil with some fried beans and potatoes on the side. Half an hour cooking time and tasted great.

No doubt I'll work part of the day as well.

cbscreative
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
For me it's a gathering at my wife's sister's house where all the siblings (wife, 2 sisters, and a brother), their kids and ours, and my wife's parents (and a few additional bodies) will be celebrating, giving thanks, and eating abundantly. And yes, I get along great with my in-laws so it will be fun.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

vangogh
11-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm already in New York visiting family. We have Thanksgiving at my mom's every year. This year we're a small group (6 of us), but small or not it should still be a good time.

Dan Furman
11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
My wife and I stay home alone - we like it much better that way. No pressure to see anyone, no "dinner here, dessert here" trips, nobody feels left out because we didn't see them (because we don't see anybody :) ), etc. We do the same thing X-Mas day.

We had a relaxing day - good food, good drink, football (terrible games)... I bought a new recliner the day before (my holiday bonus from the company!), and had a nice 2 hr. nap in it. I also worked on my new website a little - 2 or 3 more pages of copy to go and it'll be done.

Doing the outside lights today, and we always get our X-mas tree tonight as well!!

KristineS
11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Dan I like the stay at home thing as well, but can't pull it off every year. This year it was nice to see the family.

Watchdog
11-28-2008, 07:31 PM
A bit late here, but my Wife insist on all the kids returning home two days a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas - big feast and family time. 10 of us at the table...

But as nice as it is, I look forward to saying "stop back soon, it was good to see you all again" :)