PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a statewide scholarship program?

Workit
04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I am part of privately owned small business in Minnesota. We would like to begin a scholarship program for graduating high school students in our state next school year. We have the paperwork created for the scholarship but are unsure how to go about starting the program itself. Do we have to register with the state somehow? Do we have to register with specific schools?

Does anyone have any start up insight, or lessons they have learned through their scholarship program?

You help is appreciated!

KristineS
04-20-2012, 06:10 PM
One way to set up a fund would be to make an alumni donation to a specific college. Most colleges have departments that deal with gifts. If you have a specific college or program in mind, I'd call the institution and tell them you'd like to make a gift. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

I also did a quick Google search and found The Saint Paul Foundation (http://www.saintpaulfoundation.org/how_can_we_help_you/achieve_your_charitable_giving_goals/scholarship_funds/) which appears to help people set up and administer scholarships. They might be worth contacting as well.

You should probably also consult a corporate lawyer and see if your business could offer a scholarship on its own, and how that would have to be administered. I think it's a great thing to do and I hope you move forward with your plans.