PDA

View Full Version : The best business ideas solve problems

vangogh
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
If you're looking for ideas to start a business the best recommendation I can offer is to find a market and understand the problems that market is having and figure out a way to solve those problems.

Here's a quick article on the idea The Power of Understanding and Solving Problems (http://www.doshdosh.com/the-power-of-understanding-and-solving-problems/)

A lot of people attempt to start a business based on something they want to do, but if it doesn't solve a problem for a market that market isn't going to buy.

Get to know your market, listen to the problems your market has and find a solution. Your product or service will have instant demand.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 08:47 PM
This is such good advice. I would add one caveat though, and it is this. Make sure the problem you are trying to solve is one about which your target market is aware or one they want solved. You can have the best solution or product in the world, but if no one knows they need it, you'll have to push the rock up hill to get a sale.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
That's a good point. It's really more about solving market's problem than it is solving a problem you think the market has. You may very well solve a problem, but if no one felt it was a problem in the first place good luck.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
This reminds me of a Thomas Edison incident in which he learned a valuable lesson to become a successful inventor. His first invention was a miserable failure. It's not because it didn't work, not even because it didn't solve a problem, it was because his target market didn't want the problem solved. OK, the other problem was that his target market was politicians and they rarely ever really want problems solved because they too often prefer debating problems, but Edison became successful when he learned the value of discerning what the market wanted.

Many people think of Edison as a brilliant inventor, which he was, but he needed to be more than that to succeed. He was also a marketing genius which was equally important to his becoming a legend.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
That's a great story. And so true.

There definitely is more to the equation than just solving a problem or having a good product. You still need to market it well. Of course it's much easier to market a good product than a bad one.

Rockman
08-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Excellent article. I can now take a step back and look at my own business. What little nuances can I change in order to apply what I have just read. Am I solving a problem? Yes. Are my competitors solving the same problem? Yes. What can I do to set my self appart, solve the same problem quicker, better, with more style, pizzaz.. whatever...
Hmmmm. People love to feel wanted, feel part of someting greater. Here's an idea: An Owners Lounge on my website where people who have purchased my products can log-in, post questions and comments, download owners manuals, operating instructions, product updates, monthly specials... etc.. etc... All my current and future customers would get a log-in and password to access this Owners Lounge. Not only would it make them feel part of something, it would also be a great marketing springboard for future products to people I have already established a Relashionship of Trust......

Eureka.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
You're onto something there, Rockman. So often, web sites are thought of from the marketing perspective to get more business, but it's just as important to think about how they can be used to strengthen customer relations.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I like the idea. It also helps to keep people interacting with your site and consequently your business. It makes it easy to let everyone know about your new products too.

Paul Elliott
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
You're onto something there, Rockman. So often, web sites are thought of from the marketing perspective to get more business, but it's just as important to think about how they can be used to strengthen customer relations.

Right on! No matter what business we may think we're in, we are all in the same business: that of developing relationships. Unless and until we recognize that and deploy our programs to produce that, we can never deliver platinum class results.

Paul

KristineS
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Developing relationships is only part of the equation though. You have to maintain those relationships, and you have to have a reason for people to keep coming back to you. You can have all the great relationships you like, but you also have to have a good product and beyond good customer service. If you're customers like you and your company they may let you slide once, but the probably won't let you slide twice.

Blessed
08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Customer service and satisfaction are essential - and so are relationships. The most successful small business people I've found are people with a great personality - people like them, so they remember them and they refer their friends to them.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
That's what I meant by developing relationships. I did mean the maintaining part of the relationship was included, though I guess they are different things.

Customer service is definitely one way to build and maintain relationships. I'm not sure how much of a selling point it can be anymore since it's really expected, but it's still very important since not providing it can lose you customers in a hurry.

Paul Elliott
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Developing relationships is only part of the equation though. You have to maintain those relationships, and you have to have a reason for people to keep coming back to you. You can have all the great relationships you like, but you also have to have a good product and beyond good customer service. If you're customers like you and your company they may let you slide once, but the probably won't let you slide twice.

You're correct, Kristine. "Developing" is just that: developing rather than merely "establishing" a relationship.

Certainly many businesses get no farther than selling 1 item and collecting the money. They seem never to want to hear from the customer again. That is a sad mistake. Even if the customer isn't satisfied, that is an opportunity to try for satisfaction and repeat business.

Paul

Blessed
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I have found that customer service is a whole lot more than just doing what the customer is asking you to do with a smile on your face... it is saying "that's a great idea but have you thought about..." too.

When people feel like you understand them and want them to succeed they become much more loyal.

Paul Elliott
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I have found that customer service is a whole lot more than just doing what the customer is asking you to do with a smile on your face... it is saying "that's a great idea but have you thought about..." too.

When people feel like you understand them and want them to succeed they become much more loyal.

Blessed, this comes under the heading of "Never assume your customer knows anything about your business." It is also a gentle way of upselling or cross selling.

It develops the "know, like, and trust" process.

Keep up your excellent work!

Paul

Blessed
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks Paul!

I like affirmation that I really have learned a thing or two since I dropped out of college to work all those years ago...

KristineS
08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I think you're completely right Blessed. It's about building trust. If your clients or coworkers don't trust you, the working relationship is that much harder.

I think one of the best things you can hear from a client, or your boss if you have one, are the words "I trust your judgment".

Paul Elliott
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Paul!

I like affirmation that I really have learned a thing or two since I dropped out of college to work all those years ago...

You have probably spent more years in the trenches than the 4 years you would have spent in school. So makes sense that you should know more! :D

Paul