PDA

View Full Version : Average Monthly Spending for Adwords

henryz
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I wanted to know what you guys think is a fair average to spend on adwords advertising, or does it really depend on the type of business. I'm thinking of doing it locally to begin.

Thanks

billbenson
03-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Its a depends sort of question. If you are just starting out and it makes you more than it costs its kind of a no brainer. I used it for years and it certainly made me profitable far more quickly when I first started out. I also think it helped me get to a number one position in the G natural SERPS.

While one person here says he found it very easy to set up and be effective for him in local searches, its my opinion that it takes a lot of work and knowledge to be effective in most cases. You really need to do most of what you do for on site SEO as well as using SEO techniques in your ads to be successful in a lot of cases. That can mean things like custom landing pages for ads etc.

Steve B
03-23-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm the one that thinks it's very easy to set up and be effective for a local situaion. I just encouraged a friend of mine to get started with it. He barely knows anything about computers other than checking his e-mail and searching the web. He also found it easy to set up for his local business.

The answer to your question is that it depends too much to give a specific answer. Like anything else, it's a gamble and you have to anticipate how much your return will be based on the amount you will spend.

henryz
03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
It makes perfect sense, I was going to set it up myself but got a few quotes from developers and even from people at google and said in order to be effective I was looking at $1000 to $1500 a month, I wanted to get an idea of what my budget would be doing it locally, It only sucks that I live in one of the largest cities....L.A.

Thanks

billbenson
03-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Go regional within LA. Do some test ads. Play around with them within your budget to see what works. You can do things like just run them for a few hours in prime time for your product.

I'm assuming its for the site in your signature. There are various objectives you can look for in adwords. One is finding quality keywords for your site. For example, lets say you write an ad and pay $1 per click (which to me is very expensive). But pay the $1 and let it run for a few hours during prime time. Then look at your site statistics. You will have searches that you probably never thought about. A bunch of new keywords. Now you are armed to write better ads with more targeted keywords that will cost you less money. Its not an overnight thing. It is faster than natural SERPS though.

Be very careful or it can cost you a lot of money. Until you figure it out a bit, you will probably loose money, but that's part of the learning curve. Hunt around the webmaster forums for tips and tricks that people use.

I cut my adwords off last august after running them for at least 5 years. Mostly because I have more business than I can handle at the moment with natural SERPS. I was spending about $700 per month at the time. But if they made one $2k order for me, that paid for the ad campaign. They easily did that and a lot more for me. It was profitable for me from day 1, but I had some good SEO knowledge and advice that got me started on the right foot.

What are your web skills?

henryz
03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I will try that, maybe increase it little by little and see the traffic. I don't have much web skills, besides doing my site thats about it, any other work I may need I would hire someone. If you are talking about setting up adwords I think I can handle that I was thinking about starting on Monday.

A-E
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
For my experience, and in my particular niche, it's the banners that bring the best return of investment. I went of for years with regular clicks and I realized that for some markets you do it mostly to create the brand and to have a presence. Many company report that they just break even.
Good luck.

natalia
05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
From my point of understanding, Google adwords can be very expensive, especially if keywords competition are high.

billbenson
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
From my point of understanding, Google adwords can be very expensive, especially if keywords competition are high.

A well run AdWords campaign usually isn't expensive on a per click basis and can be very profitable. There is a lot of work that can go into a well run campaign, however.

RitaCarrol
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
It all depends on what industry you are in. What's your targeted ROI? If you are selling a doll for $40, what's your profit? And more importantly what are you comfortable setting the CPA at? Google will often give new accounts $100 free in advertising, so see if you can apply for that. Here's a quick article I found- but I'm sure there's more out there.

billbenson
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
It all depends on what industry you are in. What's your targeted ROI? If you are selling a doll for $40, what's your profit? And more importantly what are you comfortable setting the CPA at? Google will often give new accounts $100 free in advertising, so see if you can apply for that. Here's a quick article I found- but I'm sure there's more out there.

Well, lets not over simplify it. There are adwords things you need to do like setting cpc, budgets, etc. There are SEO things to do like selecting keywords, optimizing ads etc. There are website things you need to do such as landing pages for the ads. There are also a lot of different adwords strategies. The more competitive the industry the more difficult it will generally be, but most sites can show a profit with adwords if the proper work is put into it. Frequently it entails a lot of work.

BNB
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
AdWords spending has nothing to do with your industry, it has nothing to do with anything other than ROI, impressions, and your ability to handle the workload.

Basically, if you are generating profit off your adwords spending, then you'll crank it as high as you can, which is limited by your ability to handle the amount of work and how many impressions Google gets for that set of keywords.

Alard
07-28-2012, 06:44 AM
I have tried it before and believe me, even if your market is not that competitive, to make a profit or break even, you need to spend at least $1000-$2000 per month. But always watch out for those keywords in the Adwords campaign that give you a higher conversion to start an SEO campaign immediately.

Steve B
07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Alard - I've never once spent even half of that in a month and Google Adwords has been profitable for me for 70+ months in a row.

billbenson
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
I agree with Steve B. Like any kind of advertising it vary's all over the map; different markets such as local vs national; different products- competitive vs non competitive...

RyanSmith
09-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Price completely depends on how well it is being managed. There's no reason to let it become cumbersome or expensive.

Additionally... it is completely scalable.

My agency works with individual clients whose budget ranges from $200/week to the tens of thousands a month.

If we can answer any questions about making it affordable and work well, feel free to get in touch.

Georgias Gifts
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
With google ppc changing to google shopping on Monday, how do you think it will change search? I'm reading that many think it will kill small businesses. But won't organic search remain the same as always?

Pack-Secure
09-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Organic is supposed to remain the same.