PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Reputation

KingHippo
11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I have a big concern now. Apparently PayPal displays a Buyer / Seller Reputation Number. Right now since I am brand new I'm going to have a 0 next to it. Personally I will not buy from anyone that has a 0 on eBay or PayPal. I'm assuming most people will think like this and thus not purchase anything from me. In other words, my business is sunk before it even starts.

Is there anyway I can hide this number? If not, are there any good techniques that can increase this number? The only thing I've been able to think of is to sell 1,000 really cheap IT-related items on eBay using PayPal as the only payment method so I can get the number up to the cap of 1,000.

Evan
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I've had my PayPal account for a long time, and only have a reputation of "1". I primarily buy using it. When looking for items on eBay, I never actually look at the reputation they have because I feel secure using their system and knowing that there is buyer protection.

SteveC
11-18-2008, 02:04 AM
To quickly increase your Ebay reputation buy a few cheap items... it is possible to get to a hundred or more simply by five one or two dollar items... and you do not have a pay pal reputation... they are seperate although Pay Pal is owned by Ebay.

vangogh
11-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I knew eBay had a reputation system, but I never realized one was displayed for PayPal. I just looked at mine, which seems to be a 1. Interesting since it's based on how many verified PayPal members have paid you and I've certainly had more than one client pay via PayPal.

KristineS
11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, I never knew Paypal did this. Of course ours is a company account and we use it both to buy and sell so I imagine the reputation is good. I just was never aware that people could see it.

Interesting. I'll have to check ours out.

KristineS
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Also, is this something people can only see if they pay via PayPal or on EBay? Our retail sites use Website Payments Pro but there's really no indication that it is even PayPal. This may only be an issue if you're intending to sell through EBay or let people pay with PayPal directly.

I know no one has ever mentioned the reputation thing to us.

KingHippo
11-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Well right now I'm starting out with PayPal Website Payments Standard. I'm not even using eBay for business, just PayPal. I need to see if I can even get a single sale of my product. If I don't, then there's no sense in spending hundreds of dollars on a real merchant account and around $29 - $69 a month on fees for Website Payments Pro or PayPal Payflow Gateway.

thehunterswife
11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I've been a PayPal member since 2004 and mine is only showing a 5. I've had plenty more transactions than 5. Not sure their explanation provides enough information.

I'm guessing it is a new feature because I've never noticed it. Maybe you should be alright with any future transactions without that being a concern for potential buyers.

Mozzy
12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, I never knew Paypal did this. Of course ours is a company account and we use it both to buy and sell so I imagine the reputation is good. I just was never aware that people could see it.

Interesting. I'll have to check ours out.

LOL, I never knew of this either and I've had Paypal for years.

seolman
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I've never understood the PayPal reputation system. I've had a ton of people pay me through PayPal and mine is an 11 so I don't think many people really pay much attention to it. I think it's more of an issue with eBay than with PayPal.