PDA

View Full Version : Any Mac people out there that can help me out?

Harold Mansfield
03-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey guys.
I'm having an issue. My partner keeps telling me that she can't see the new Facebook pages I'm creating, from her computer.
She did see them briefly for a couple of days, and now she's saying that she's checked it on 3 different devices from her home and can't see anything.

I'm not having a problem seeing them on all four browsers, and I've enlisted at least 10 other people that all say they see them just fine.
I've also been contacted by strangers through that page with questions and comments. So apparently they see them too.
And the files/apps work just fine, separate from Facebook, if I just load them in a browser window.

It seems to be just her.

So if you are running a Mac, could you tell me if you see them, and if you have any ideas why she would be having a problem, please chime in.
I'll need you to navigate to the inside pages ( the tabs) those are the ones she is telling me are blank for her..or better put, the pages aren't displaying..she's just seeing the top menu.
https://www.facebook.com/haroldmansfielddotcom

Thanks in advance.

vangogh
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I've checked in both safari and Firefox so far. I can check Chrome and Opera too if you'd like. At first everything was loading fine in Safari, but I could only see the Photos page in Firefox and the default pages like the main one and About. I was seeing blank pages when I tried the other buttons and I didn't see anything in the drop down. Then I realized I wasn't logged in through Firefox. Once I logged in I saw everything fine. You might want to check to see if she's logged into Facebook or figure out how to get everything to show when not logged in.

I went ahead and checked Chrome and Opera. Same thing. I see things when logged in, but not when logged out.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Interesting.
Can you see other pages when not logged in?

Here's a couple of brand pages that are on timeline and have custom tabs:
https://www.facebook.com/cocacola
https://www.facebook.com/redbull

I can see them both when I'm not logged in.
I can also see my own page when I'm not logged in.

vangogh
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I can see the pages on both of them, but neither shows the pages in the drop down. I see the same Timeline and About in the drop down. I'm still seeing the same thing as above on your page. The Photos one loads fine, but the others only show the header and the rest of the page is blank.

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why this is happening. It seems to just be certain people on MACs. If I could at least say it's EVERYBODY on a MAC, I would have something to go on.

vangogh
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Did you check to see if your client was logged in when trying to view the pages? I'm assuming yes. For me it's consistent in every browser and all the pages you sent. When I'm logged in I see everything fine. When logged out I can only access the Photos page and nothing shows up in the drop down menu.

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2012, 10:58 PM
At this point I have to assume that I forget something in the process of creating the apps, because it's not universal. I have another person with a Mac saying they see everything, logged in or not.

I'll go back over it step by step and keep you posted.

Harold Mansfield
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
I think I've figured it out.
Everything I've read said to place your directory URL in the settings for Page Tab with a trailing slash and FB will pick up the content for the page. But that doesn't work 100%.
When I go back in and put the direct link to the file, it seems to take care of the problem.

Amazingly enough, when you try and create the app with the direct link to the file the first time around, it won't take it.

vangogh
03-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure if or how much you've changed, but I'm now seeing the About Us page when not logged in as well as the Photos page which I was seeing before. Still nothing on the other 2 pages and still no links in the drop down.

Harold Mansfield
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
I've changed all of the Page Tab URL's and Secure Page Tab URL's to link directly to the file, instead of to the directory as Facebook directed.
Now strangely, when I sent my partner links to her page in an email and she followed these links, she could see everything.
https://www.facebook.com/HotelAdvantage/app_239896139439340
https://www.facebook.com/HotelAdvantage/app_366872590002327
https://www.facebook.com/HotelAdvantage/app_294850943921977

However when she attempted to navigate to the same pages from inside Facebook, she still couldn't see anything.

She talked to a guy that she knows in her area that works for FB and he pretty much told here that FB roll outs are always horrible. There is never enough documentation for developers, and it's likely a glitch on their end that will be fixed by the 30th when all pages are automatically switched.

I have to assume that the big brand pages that FB is using as examples, had the benefit of working directly with them in order to get their pages at 100%.

merlot105
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Certainly not an issue with Macs.

vangogh
03-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Harold it's the same thing for me. I can get to the pages going directly to the URLs you posted, but I still can't see anything in the drop down or get to the tabbed pages from the main page. I suspect it is a weird Facebook issue that will eventually get corrected. On the bright side you're probably not talking about a large number of people who will have issues. Granted I don't know the audience so maybe it's made up of more Mac users, but if we assume the global 10% or so and then take into account that it's only when not logged in that there's an issue, it's probably not going to affect a lot of people.

Is there a way to embed the direct links somewhere on the main page as straight html without all the Facebook code wrapping around it?

Harold Mansfield
03-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Is there a way to embed the direct links somewhere on the main page as straight html without all the Facebook code wrapping around it?
I can't really control what Facebook does to it before it displays.
The files themselves are just regular old html or whatever script is running any special functions. I'm not using an iFrame or anything.

vangogh
03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Strange. I guess it's something you have to wait on Facebook to fix.

Harold Mansfield
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
That's what I think it comes down to. I've been hacking away at this for a couple of weeks now, trying to ahead of the curve, while everyone else is wasting time complaining about The Timeline, and I'm done until I see new information from Facebook, or someone addresses the issue in a blog post or something.

vangogh
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Have you contacted anyone at Facebook? Maybe they aren't aware of the issue or better know of a fix?

Harold Mansfield
03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Do you know of a way to actually contact anyone at Facebook?

All I know how to do is put is bug tickets via email, and I have done that. I've also responded to threads from Facebook Marketing Solutions about any problems anyone is having with Timeline, but no one ever answers. It's Facebook.

vangogh
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
No I guess I hadn't considered they might hide basic contact info. I was thinking maybe there was a support forum somewhere. The bug ticket system might be the closest thing. It probably was worth submitting a ticket. Who knows how long they take to look at them, but at least someone should now be aware of the issue.

but no one ever answers. It's Facebook.

There's some kind of irony in there. A site built for the purpose of communication and no one is communicating.

Harold Mansfield
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
There's some kind of irony in there. A site built for the purpose of communication and no one is communicating.

EXACTLY! It does kind of thumb it's nose at you doesn't it?

The only way that you can get any direct communication with anyone at Facebook is to show up in person, or run a high dollar ad campaign with them.

vangogh
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe a trip to Silicon Valley is in order. Remember a few years ago when Google put out the first Nexus(?) phone and they didn't anticipate that people might wan tho use them to call customer service.

Facebook probably is thumbing their nose at us. It's their MO though. They do what they want and expect that no matter how much people complain they'll eventually stop and join the crowd.

Harold Mansfield
03-30-2012, 06:49 PM
I finally got it figured out!

On the app settings, it's:

Canvas URL= "HTTP"
Secure Canvas URL= "HTTPS"

Page Tab URL ="HTTP"
Secure Page Tab URL= "HTTPS"

They AREN'T all "HTTPS".

vangogh
04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Oh. That makes sense. I'm glad you figured it out.

Thought I'd give a test. I am seeing all the pages. I'm still not seeing them listed in the drop down. I'm guessing you might need to update the urls in there too.

Harold Mansfield
04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't have any control over that. That is ALL Facebook. The only thing youa re allowed to touch there is titles and icons.

vangogh
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh. Is that a logged in, logged out thing then? I always see the links in the drop down when logged in.

Harold Mansfield
04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Yep, everything seems be going much smoother now. I honestly spent a good 4 weeks trying to figure that out. Very frustrating. It's like a wieght has been lifted off of my shoulders.

vangogh
04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
That's a lot of time to have to spend figuring out something that probably should have worked the first time out. Things like that happen to me too. You're working on one part of the project you expect to take a few minutes or an hour and a few weeks later it's still not working like it should be.

foidesigns
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
glad to hear you figured it out. For future reference if you are needed to test browsers you may like trying https://browserlab.adobe.com/en-us/index.html
I had an issue with ie not showing some pictures and I use a mac with parallels for windows but still didn't get the error. I had to remote log into the clients computer to figure it out. Anyways, the little things are always so much fun aren't they?