PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to Myspace lately? It ain't bad.

Harold Mansfield
03-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I logged in the other day for "S's and G's" and I was surprised.

Tracks and videos of my favorite artists that I had followed a while back, were right there waiting to be played.

It's actually organized now. Has a timeline structure. Has Facebook Connect and Facebook like buttons.
I logged in with Facebook, played a few music tracks, and later on I saw that what I played posted on my Facebook timeline.
To me this is big. Not the tech. But the social networking platforms cross pollinating. You'll likely never see that with FB and G+.

And all of that dancing banana, winking emoticon crap has been cleaned up.

I even ventured over to my profile to see what had been done to the customization nightmare that used to make me cry at nights.
And again. Pretty simple. Choose or upload a background. Choose colors. Done. Remember when it looked like some code that your dog ate and then threw up the next day?

Yep, it's still targeting a younger, music, entertainment demographic, but at least it seems to be doing that well.

Justin Timberlake did a nice job. It doesn't suck anymore.
Myspace | Social Entertainment (http://www.myspace.com/)

vangogh
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
I never went to MySpace when it was the social network so no I have't been there lately. I do know it's improved a lot and I actually have visited here and there when someone pointed me to it. Justin Timberlake has done a good job indeed. it's probably too late to get back to the #1 spot, but I see no reason why MySpace can't continue to grow. If they aren't yet, they may want to connect to some of the different streaming music services like Facebook is doing.

KristineS
03-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I never was big into MySpace and I haven't heard a lot of buzz about it lately, but it's good to know that it isn't dead. I think social media sites are going to have to learn to adapt just like every other business. Nothing stays on top forever.

vangogh
03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Kristine it's a very different place now. They've done away with letting everyone create whatever look they want, which makes a huge difference. Much better now.

KristineS
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
That's good to know. I doubt I'll do anything about MySpace because I've already got enough going, but it's nice to know it isn't the mess that it used to be. You never know when that might become relevant for me.

Harold Mansfield
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
That's good to know. I doubt I'll do anything about MySpace because I've already got enough going, but it's nice to know it isn't the mess that it used to be. You never know when that might become relevant for me.

I can't imagine it being god for anything except music or entertainment type promotion. And the demographic has to be tweens to maybe late 20's. But that is a huge buyng market for music, video games, movies and such.

vangogh
03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Entertainment will be its niche, but you never know what it could grow into. Maybe in time it'll build back its brand and people will want to check it out more. Even if it remains focused on music it'll be relevant to most people. The majority of us like music in one form or another.

Elias
03-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I thought myspace was kinda destroyed by the monopole of facebook. Because nowadays bands or stars go to facebook to promote their songs etc.

vangogh
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Justin Timberlake bought it recently and he's attempting to make some changes to bring it back. Given his connection with the music industry and celebrity in general he certainly has a chance of bringing people back. So far the changes that have been made since he took over seem to be improving MySpace. Whether or not he'll be successful remains to be seen.

jamesray50
04-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I didn't know Justin Timberlake bought My Space. Interesting. That was the first social network I signed up on, but never really did much with it. Not long after I heard about FaceBook and that's what everyone I knew was using, so I did to. I have a friend that had a My Space page and she had fixed it up really cool. There was no way I could have done what she had done.

vangogh
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it wasn't that long ago where he got involved. I forget exactly when, but it's relatively recent.

I had, still have I guess, a MySpace account. I never did much with it and it's been years since I last logged in. I doubt I even remember my username or password. Maybe I should check in and see what the site looks like while logged in.

Elabusiness
07-30-2012, 12:47 PM
I've done a My Space signature years ago , I cant even remember my password for my My Space nowadays, I could give it a try since this new about Justin Timberlake just because I am his fan.
When Facebook was released I've made some comparisons to choose between these medias:
Myspace have themes and colors on your profile, Faceboook then no. 1 point for myspace.
Facebook lets you customize your privacy. Facebook 1 , myspace 1
Myspace let you change your name any time unlimited. Myspace 2 ,Facebook 1
Facebook let you search for people more easier. Facebook 2 , myspace 2
Myspace has more spams and is hard for new members to know where to go on myspace. Facebook 2 , Myspace 2
Facebook is more organized,Less spams. Facebook 3 , Myspace 2
Myspace got entertainment and music,Facebook doesnt. Facebook 3,Myspace 3
Facebook have more games,quizzes, surveys and more entertainment. Facebook 4 , Myspace 3
Facebook Is organized so its easier for new members. Facebook 5 ,Myspace 3

Total: Facebook:5 points
Myspace 3 points
Gotta remember my password to see if these differences would change afterwards

vangogh
07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a MySpace account too, though I also don't remember the login information. :)

Interesting comparison. Granted those are all points that are important to your personally and others might find different things important. It would be interesting to see other people do a similar kind of comparison.

One thing you didn't mention, which I think would be important to most is where are the people? Facebook has more members and so it's more likely the people you want to connect with are there. That's a big point in Facebook's favor.