PDA

View Full Version : on the blog

greenoak
11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
heres what i would like to know and cant figure out........i want a small blurb or post on my blog about our big store counters...and then i want a link to pictures of the counters....i want to show about 10 pictures.
but i dont want it linking to a website..no website connection....
where else can a link go to?
anywhere within the blog?
what are my options besides a website location...?
im on blogger
thanks ann

KristineS
11-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Ann,

Is what you're asking how you can put pictures in your post? If that's it, Blogger has a image upload feature that should allow you to do that easily. If your photos are saved on your computer, all you need to do is click on the image icon. That is in the line of icons that starts with the bold B. It's the second from the end. After that you just upload an image from your computer, choose where you want it to be placed and click Done.

Blogger does a reasonably decent job of handling images.

greenoak
11-13-2008, 12:26 PM
have you seen my blog? i have pictures in about every post.i can do that...
..what im wanting is a door into a picture gallery of lots of my pictures...i dont want them on the main page of the blog...i want a portal to go thru to see the pictures...i want posts to be the main thing on the blog....but i want the feature of little doorways to other things on the sidebars or somewhere else....im on blogger...
i can see how to link to an url but i dont want that.... where else can i have the pictures...
.i want a headline that says , see my store racks, you click there and see the 10 pictures of store racks....but not on a website........
im hoping this is easy , im thinking someone out there knows the key, if i can clarify the question...
thanks so much...ann

KristineS
11-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry Ann, I misunderstood.

And yes, I see that you can do what I suggested quite ably.

I'm not sure how to do what you want without using a web site. Maybe one of the tech gurus will have a suggestion.

greenoak
11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
i hope so too ......i think see what i want on lots of typepad blogs,..have you seen problogger?....he called something like it a sneeze page...a part that links you to parts deep within the blog..... Blog Tips to Help You Make Money Blogging - ProBlogger (http://www.problogger.com)
also im going to try for a 3rd column....have you tried that ? sounds dangerous....
i put this site on my blog today..probably not many will resppond but i read vg's request to do it in his first post on the forum......ann

vangogh
11-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Ann I'm not 100% sure I'm following what you're wanting to do. Let me see if I'm understanding right. It sounds like you want a page that's a gallery of images. You don't want the page to be on another site. You want it on the blog, but you don't want it to appear as a post on the front page of the blog. Instead you want to link to it from say the sidebar of your blog and that link would be in a single image or a blurb that appears on every page of the blog. Is that right?

The part I don't quite follow is when you say you don't want the link pointing to a website. Your choices are pretty much a page on a website (your blog being one website) or linking directly to a media file like a Word document or a PDF. Linking to a media file isn't necessarily the best option though since some people will have their browsers set to download the media file instead of viewing it in the browser. But if that's what you want you could create a gallery of images in something like a PDF file and link directly to that. If you do it's generally best to let people know the link will take them to a PDF document.

Assuming I was right above about what you're trying to do I know how to set it up on WordPress. I'm not sure if this is possible with Blogger, but here's the process and I'll give you an alternative suggestion that I think will be possible with Blogger.

WordPress allows you to create posts and pages. For someone looking at either posts and pages will basically look the same, but they're different to WordPress. Pages don't appear as blog posts. They won't show up on the home page of the blog or in the archives or under any of the categories. They're a separate entity. You can create a page and choose where you want to link to it.

So in WordPress you'd create a page that you would only link to through your one image of blurb. When someone clicks the link they'd be taken to your gallery page.

That's all great for WordPress, but you're on Blogger. I don't work with Blogger so I don't know if it can create pages outside the blog structure. However I have an alternative suggestion. I would think Blogger allows you to set any date you want when you create a post. You could create a new post that would be your gallery and give it an old date so it won't appear on your blog's home page. It would fall back somewhere depending on the date you use. Maybe you'd give it date prior to the date of your first post.

It would still be a post, but it would only show up in the archives. You could then add your blurb or single image to your sidebar and have it link to the new gallery post with the old date.

Otherwise you'll probably need to create the gallery page on another site. You could always create it on your greenoakantiques site, but don't include the same look as that site or include any navigation to the rest of that site. Maybe the only navigation you'd include would be back to the blog. Technically people would be navigating back and forth between sites, but they'd feel like they stayed within the blog the whole time.

greenoak
11-14-2008, 09:13 AM
thanks vg....dang!!! thats the conclusions i have made so far also.....
i want to be able to show the pictures .... on the website is not an option....too hard in our situation..
my main idea is to have a place on the blog where potential big volume buyers could see pictures of whats currently available and prices.......i have picked this idea over trying a new selling site...i dont need a shopping cart...just the pictures and prices..it would need to be able to change daily .
maybe a series of now in posts with prices and hope they go there from the label section....
i can do the blog myself and fast....the website is a whole different thing...
thanks
ann

vangogh
11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Glad to help. I'm curious why it would be too hard to add the gallery page to the website. It sounds like a relatively simple page to add. Like I said it doesn't have to be connected to the rest of the site. Either way you have to create the gallery page. What server it's stored on shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Is the problem that you'd have to hire someone to create the page on the site? That I could understand. Creating a blog post or page is certainly easier.

greenoak
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
right , its about the manpower to do it...and the ease of that....thats why all my questions about this have been about outside the website....
im on blogger help now and think there is good info there , possibly its about permalinks and pages.....so hard for a non tek person to even begin to grasp or read........but im hoping to round up what seems relevant and hound my dh or webmistress into trying to work thru it for me...plus i need a third column on the blog...
those 2 ,dh and dil, are experienced and smart and can probably do it ...
did you check up on sneeze page idea on problogger? i thought that sounded pretty cool...

vangogh
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Makes sense. It can be hard for a non techie at times. It's easy for me to forget that since I'm obviously on the tech side of things.

I read ProBlogger all the time. It's one of my favorite blogs. I didn't check the sneeze page idea now, but I had seen it in the past and I'm familiar with the concept in general. For anyone interested here's a direct link to Darren's post about creating a sneeze page (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2007/08/18/create-a-sneeze-page-and-propel-readers-deep-within-your-blog/).

Harold Mansfield
11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I found this article (http://84productions.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-create-gallery-for-blogs-hosted.html) about creating a gallery on blogger using a widget . It seems pretty easy to use, not sure if it will do everything you are looking for, but you can certainly link to a product page.

Here is the widget home page (http://www.wowzio.com/).

Sorry, not very versed on blogger.
Hope it helps.