PDA

View Full Version : Dilbert takes on SEO

Business Attorney
02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I read the Dilbert comic strip (http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2012-02-17/) on the train ride downtown this morning and feel compelled to share it:

vangogh
02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Funny. And sadly all too often true. Very easy to imagine a real conversion like this happening in some corporate offices.

nealrm
02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
So dis-respectful; so slanderous. I can't believe that Dilbert would stoop so low as to compare a poor weasel to a SEO consultant. The weasels of the world should revolt. :D

dacousin
03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Most people don't know what SEO is, those who do know what it is think that we are basically hackers manipulating Search Engine's algorithms, I think it might be better if they didn't know what SEO was

Upzee
04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been doing SEO for over 10 years and every time someone asks me what I do I say "search engine optimization" and then follow it up with a quick explanation. I've hardly ever ran into any one that even knew what it was. Surprised to see a comic taking a shot at SEO.

nealrm
04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, some SEO company are not really very moral and that has put a bad rep on the others. Not a day goes by that I don't receive several email promising to put me at the top of Google, Yahoo, Bing and other search engines. They are clearly automated and are clearly spam.

billbenson
04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
The funny thing is my site is 1 or 2 on G for my best keyword and I still get these emails....

vangogh
04-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I've hardly ever ran into any one that even knew what it was

I think the seo and search engine optimization have entered into the vocabulary of the masses with websites. Not all, but a lot more than would have known a few years. Unfortunately seo has a bad reputation, so bad that legitimate SEOs would like to rebrand what the profession is called.

cbscreative
04-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Not a day goes by that I don't receive several email promising to put me at the top of Google, Yahoo, Bing and other search engines. They are clearly automated and are clearly spam.

The funny thing is my site is 1 or 2 on G for my best keyword and I still get these emails....

Yep, and even us SEO people get those emails.

Unfortunately, rebranding SEO won't work because the riff raff will just call themselves whatever term is popular. The best we can do is to establish our own reputation and let it carry us.

In a way, I have worked around this perception by calling myself a translator. I translate business web sites into profit. That of course means a whole lot more than SEO.

TanaB
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I've been doing SEO for over 10 years and every time someone asks me what I do I say "search engine optimization" and then follow it up with a quick explanation. I've hardly ever ran into any one that even knew what it was. Surprised to see a comic taking a shot at SEO.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I find this strip funny but a year ago I would have been SE...what?
The bad rep is unfortunate but I am hopeful that will change.

vangogh
04-22-2012, 03:01 AM
rebranding SEO won't work because the riff raff will just call themselves whatever term is popular.

Steve it's the legit people in the industry talking about rebranding the term because what they do isn't all the stuff that gives seo a bad reputation. Not everyone in the industry is sending out spammy emails. Unfortunately to many it doesn't matter what the reputation of your company is. The term seo itself carries so much baggage. There are some companies deserving of a good reputation because of the work they do, but the name of the industry drags them down a bit.