PDA

View Full Version : HR Question: Company Culture and Attitude

KristineS
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I've been reading a lot lately, it seems, about bad customer service, companies with bad attitudes, rude salespeople on the telephone, customer service reps who are apathetic and just don't care. I've been told, and believe, that each person chooses how they want to behave and perceive things, but I also know that some company cultures can suck the life right out of you. My question is this: do you think a company culture starts at the top, or do you think everyone is responsible for their own attitude? Also, how do you influence people who may be taking a negative view of things to look on the positive side?

vangogh
02-16-2012, 12:45 AM
It definitely starts at the top, though people do need to take responsibility for their own attitudes and actions.

To give you an example of company culture starting at the top, years ago I worked in a picture framing shop. Granted it wasn't a big company, but the owner of the shop set a positive culture. He treated us all as people first and employees second. He expected us to work hard, but he worked even harder. I can recall several times where we'd get a rush order on a weekend at closing time. He would always tell us to go home and he would stay to finish the work. It made the rest of us want to stay to help him. I remember one Sunday in the summer when no customers came in. He closed the store earlier, but still paid everyone for a full day. I was given 4 raises in less than a year and never asked for any of them.

All those things made all of us work harder and treat every customer who walked in the doors better. In contrast he eventually sold the store to a woman who was the complete reverse. We'd hear her talking on the phone negatively about us. She looked at us only as replaceable employees. Within 2 months all of us had quit. I've been in the store several times since and none of her employees talking nicely about her and you can see the different attitude as compared to how we were under the previous owner.

That said we're all still responsible for our own attitudes. I've worked for people who set a poor culture and I've remained positive. Some of that is just inside the person.

Also, how do you influence people who may be taking a negative view of things to look on the positive side?

It depends who you mean by "you." Are you talking about the person at the top? If so I think that person has to start by being more positive and setting the example. There are some people you probably can't change, because their negativity is a lot deeper than anything that happens at work. With everyone else I think you can get them to be more positive by being more positive yourself and setting the example.

lucas.bowser
02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree with what vangogh said above. One additional problem I see with corporate culture is company's often look for people who have the best "technical skills" for the job, but not necessarily passion behind the industry or product. Think of your own industry. If you hire someone who couldn't care less about embroidery or sublimation printing, what type of service rep do you think they'll make? They have no desire to learn the ins and outs of the processes and products beyond the bare minimum to do the job, they won't feel attached to the customer and they'll always be looking towards their next job when they can escape this one, which they don't really care about.

lucas.bowser
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
In thinking about this topic more, there may also be a generational gap issue many companies don't necessarily have a good way of addressing. The current generation moving in to the work force had a lot of input into family decisions as they grew up (part of a parent vs. friend trend). When they get to the workforce, their ideas are not always given as much weight as they are used to, which can create feelings of marginalization. There are two typical responses you will often see, they either withdraw and become detached from their job or they move on to another job/start a business where their ideas are given their just consideration. This restriction in freedom of ideas may be what is currently being expressed in the customer service arena.

billbenson
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Back in the early 80's AT+T was the only company you could make long distance phone calls from. There were no cell phones. A startup called MCI sued AT+T as a monopoly and AT+T was forced to allow the competition. Anyway, the the guy that started MCI was an extreme jerk. MCI became a very large national company. They were a client of mine. Every single person I called on there across the country was a jerk. It certainly follows the top down example.

In 2000 I had a 3 month job with a company that had this real @$%% for the owner. Worst job I ever had and everybody that worked there was an ass. I think in that kind of environment, if your boss is a jerk, the non jerk employees leave.

KristineS
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Good points, gentlemen. I think Lucas was on the button with his point about hiring for technical skills. A lot of companies are now also looking at "life skills" I guess we'd call them for lack of a better word.

I saw a blog post this morning that said there are really only three job interview questions:

1. Can you do the job?
2. Will you love the job?
3. Can we tolerate working with you/will you fit?

I think the last one is growing in importance. Hiring a person that doesn't fit with your corporate culture can cause major problems.

vangogh
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
but not necessarily passion behind the industry or product.

I agree. Realistically you're going to need the technical skills required to perform your job. The thing is those technical skills can be taught. The passion can't be. And like you said the passion will lead to people wanting to learn more and wanting to do better, etc.

The current generation moving in to the work force had a lot of input into family decisions as they grew up

That's interesting. I hadn't really considered that. It plays well with how Google operates with their 20% time. Employees get to spend 20% of their time on their projects, many of which eventually became Google projects. That has to make you feel part of the company and like your voice is being heard.

C0ldf1re
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
It definitely starts at the top...
Absolutely, 200% right. Company attitude starts with the bosses.

Staff sometimes copy the boss's good example, but they far more often copy the boss's bad example.

If the boss is perceived as lazy, rude or dishonest, then the business will rarely survive.

lucas.bowser
02-16-2012, 01:57 PM

My wife worked for a financial services start-up back in 2000-01 time frame that provided ATM and online banking integration services to small banks and credit unions. Back then already, they had fashioned their hiring process to answer questions 2&3. My wife said it was the most rigorous and interesting hiring experience she ever had. To this day, in my professional experience, that organization was unparalleled in sheer productivity and same-headedness. They were growing so fast, that their publicly held competition had to buy them out immediately or risk going belly-up in the next six months. The company was started on a shoestring as an outgrowth from another business he owned and was sold for $65MM 3 years later.

The man behind that company now owns his own VC incubator and has launched several large businesses. He continues to be innovative with his work force and continues to create companies that fit with the culture of his employees, and hire employees that fit the culture of his company.

KristineS
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I had a similar experience with questions 2 & 3, but in a different way. There is a company in my area that does SEO work, quite well known, and they use a lot of writers. I really wanted to work there and applied several times and finally got an interview. I applied and was interviewed for a marketing job, but was offered a different job in a different department, still writing, but in a very specific way, that I felt was kind of stifling. At that time the company was very small and close knit, and it was hard for new people to integrate, especially someone like me who was, at that time anyway, a little shy. I ended up lasting about six months, before we mutually agreed it wasn't working and I moved on. It wasn't the right atmosphere for me and it wasn't the right job. I wasn't sure I'd love the job when I took it, as it wasn't the job I applied for, but I wanted to work for the company and so I convinced myself it would work. Also, after I got there, I discovered the corporate culture wasn't the best fit with my personality.

If those questions had been asked at the beginning, things might have been different. Although I ended up forming a nice relationship with the owner/founder of the company, I still didn't fit with the corporate culture that they had back then.

KristineS
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I had a similar experience with questions 2 & 3, but in a different way. There is a company in my area that does SEO work, quite well known, and they use a lot of writers. I really wanted to work there and applied several times and finally got an interview. I applied and was interviewed for a marketing job, but was offered a different job in a different department, still writing, but in a very specific way, that I felt was kind of stifling. At that time the company was very small and close knit, and it was hard for new people to integrate, especially someone like me who was, at that time anyway, a little shy. I ended up lasting about six months, before we mutually agreed it wasn't working and I moved on. It wasn't the right atmosphere for me and it wasn't the right job. I wasn't sure I'd love the job when I took it, as it wasn't the job I applied for, but I wanted to work for the company and so I convinced myself it would work. Also, after I got there, I discovered the corporate culture wasn't the best fit with my personality.

If those questions had been asked at the beginning, things might have been different. Although I ended up forming a nice relationship with the owner/founder of the company, I still didn't fit with the corporate culture that they had back then.

C0ldf1re
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
... I saw a blog post this morning that said there are really only three job interview questions:
1. Can you do the job?
Let us assume that any job applicant with a brain will say, "Yes. Yes. Yes." So how do we determine whether a candidate (who is probably very nervous and not acting the same way that they would after being hired) actually means it?

vangogh
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM

I agree this is taking on more importance and for good reason. Think of my own business for a moment it's just me. Say I decided to hire an employee. If I'm working next to that person all day, whether or not we can get along on some personal level is going to be very important. We wouldn't have to be the best of friends, but we'd certainly have to get along.

The other questions are important too, but this one doesn't always get the attention it deserves. Whether or not someone can fit within your corporate culture can go a long way in determining how they'll work it. It'll definitely affect if they'll love the job and as a result how well they can do the job.

Let us assume that any job applicant with a brain will say, "Yes. Yes. Yes."

I don't think you'd want to ask the questions directly. You'd ask sets of questions to help you determine the answer to those 3.

C0ldf1re
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
... Think of my own business for a moment it's just me. Say I decided to hire an employee. If I'm working next to that person all day, whether or not we can get along on some personal level is going to be very important. We wouldn't have to be the best of friends, but we'd certainly have to get along...

Which is why, rather than seeking the "best" employee by advertisement, many small businesses seek potential staff already known to family, friends, or existing staff.

I was once recruited to manage a section of a small firm (9 staff under me) where I was the first "stranger" recruited. It was definitely different from most firms, because there was a clear harmony between the staff and loyalty to the firm. (It was perhaps a pity that most of my team were actually incapable of ever becoming truly useful at their work, but that is another story!)

... I don't think you'd want to ask the questions directly. You'd ask sets of questions to help you determine the answer to those...

OK for you, VG, because you are clever. To many people, finding a subtle way to find if new staff would fit in, would result in the question, "Do you drink Duff beer, the same as me?" Then you get a lawsuit for a hiring policy discriminatory against Muslims.

lucas.bowser
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't think you have to ask anything that specific. Just discussing likes and dislikes. I know one interview I was at, I talked with my prospective boss about upcoming vaction plans to Colonial Williamsburg. She had attended William & Mary and was a major history buff. The conversation was a pretty good indicator of the types of activities we liked. It was pretty clear that we could get along fine on a personal level, and that I would be able to mesh with the rest of the team.

Just asking about outside interests, i.e. what they do in their free time. It's a good way to get a feel for the person on a personal level. You can also ask about what civic groups they belong to. Or perhaps ask about the best trip they ever took. There are lots of ways to get an idea about the personality of the person you are hiring beyond being direct.

vangogh
02-16-2012, 10:51 PM
many small businesses seek potential staff already known to family, friends, or existing staff.

Good point. See there's a rational reason for nepotism after all.

I agree with Lucas. You don't have to ask questions so direct or that could get you in trouble.

1. Can you do the job? - This is standard stuff. It's what we've all been asked for years. You find out the persons previous experiences. Certain jobs sometimes make you take an aptitude test. With a lot of web work you can point to a portfolio that's still online.

2. Will you love the job? - You ask about the person's goals in life. You don't ask them will they love the job. You as why they applied for the specific job, they're being interviewed for. You can look at a resume and see if their prior employment has been building toward something or if it's scattered.

3. Can we tolerate working with you/will you fit? - You should be able to tell just by spending the time in the interview. Be personable. Make a joke here or there. Walk people around the office and observe while they interact with their co-workers for a few minutes.

There's not going to be a perfect way to find out the answers, but you can do reasonably well. HR people do this for a living after all and know lots of ways to find out the information they need without having to ask direct questions or things that could get them in legal trouble.

billbenson
02-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Since this has diverted into a job interviewing direction, let's turn it around. I'm a career salesman and have been interviewed plenty of times. Also as a salesman, I effectively interview clients. The point is to get the client or prospect talking so you can see if they are a good prospect or not.

I would think one of the most important things in a job interview are the prospects questions. Does he ask questions that someone looking for a good job would ask. Does he ask or look around to see employee culture. In a sales job I would expect someone to ask about money. Not necessarily in other types of jobs though. Does he want to meet with other people he would interface with. Etc, etc. What he asks may tell you more about him than what you ask. I'd start with open ended questions to get him to ask the questions.

vangogh
02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I would think one of the most important things in a job interview are the prospects questions.

Great point. What the interviewee asks can go along way in determining the answers to the 3 questions Kristine posted. Great point too about the open ended questions. You're always better asking questions that can't be answered with a simple yes or no. Based on what the person chooses to talk about you can learn a lot.

billbenson
02-18-2012, 01:11 AM
I've been in a ton of sales classes over my career. One of the common strategies taught is something like "would you prefer the red one or the green one"? While there are products or situations that such a question may work; not many IMO. As a sales guy who gets lots of calls every day, when someone calls and says "I'm interested in product X" I say "I'm familiar with that, how can I help you"? A completely low pressure open ended question. It works!

A job interviewer is selling the job. The interviewee is selling himself. Everybody is selling. Both sides need to do a good job.

C0ldf1re
02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
... A job interviewer is selling the job...
Often forgotten! The best candidate for the job may well have other options.

... The interviewee is selling himself...
If you are recruiting a sales team, yes.

But... if you are recruiting a person who will spend the next thirty years packing orders or suchlike, you need somebody with a low opinion of themselves, who will never manage a sales pitch.

billbenson
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
But... if you are recruiting a person who will spend the next thirty years packing orders or suchlike, you need somebody with a low opinion of themselves, who will never manage a sales pitch.

Yes there are jobs that the interviewer doesn't need to pitch. However, even in your example above, the interviewer can present the job in a manner that the worker looks at it as a 30 year opportunity, not just something he'll do for a year while he looks for something better.

C0ldf1re
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
... not just something he'll do for a year while he looks for something better.

Yes. Also, recruiting too high a calibre of worker for a job is fatal. Boredom and frustration will make them look for something more satisfying.

justinwalker78
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm curious if you have suggestions for great books about changing a corporate culture? I've read lots of the leading theory books on the topic, but I'm looking for books that will help with the implementation of the change efforts. A colleague pointed me to Transforming Corporate Culture by Lisa Jackson and Gerry Schmidt. So far it looks like a good mix of theory and practical implementation, with an eye towards empowering employees at all levels of the organization to be agents of change.

KristineS
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I think there are levels with the whole asking questions, recruiting thing. For some basic jobs, it might not matter so much, but even there, I'd rather see someone who is exhibiting some thought than someone who isn't. Brain dead zombies might seem like the ideal people to hire for packing/warehouse jobs etc., but they can really screw things up if they really are brain dead. There has to be some level of critical thinking possible.

For higher level jobs, I think both sides need to pay more attention to getting to know the company. Just walking through a place can tell you a lot about whether or not it would be a good place to work. Is the building kept up. Do employees seem happy? Are they friendly to each other and to you? All that stuff can give you clues about what it would be like to work there.

SharonClark79
04-30-2012, 06:21 AM
I don't personally believe in absolutes, I think in many instances the people at the top of the pyramid can greatly influence the beliefs and attitudes of the rest of the organisation. This is for a variety of reasons, one being that the rest of the company see the people at the top of the ladder as inspirational role models, generally because they have the trappings that being at the top grant you, wealth respect freedom choice etc. Therefore people emulate even the negative characteristics of those people in a attempt to perhaps walk in their footsteps and maybe one day be like them.

The other end of the scale are those people that are at the grass roots of a business and for what ever reason have a massive swing on company culture/ attitude. Perhaps they are particularly charismatic people that others tend to listen too or perhaps there a bully that people have no choice but to listen too !!!

KristineS
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree that there can be people on every level of an organization that can be very influential. I worked in one place where I was just a regular staffer, but the boss allowed me to run with some side projects to try and educate employees and improve morale and I ended up being very influential, even though I was not management. Of course, my boss at that time was also highly invested in making all his employees better and providing an environment that allowed people to grow, so that had a lot to do with how I established my sphere of influence.

vangogh
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
but the boss allowed me to run with some side projects

So while you ended up having influence, it was still the boss who set the culture that allowed you to have influence.

I suppose it can happen from both ends. If enough employees get together and do things to promote change that the boss later accepts. You generally don't see that in a company though. I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I think company culture and attitude follows the leader. How the top of the company behaves and the rules they make have more influence over the culture at a company. Employees can influence the culture, but not to the same degree.