PDA

View Full Version : LLC/Salary Question

VillageTreats
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I am about to be in the same situation. My partner is the money and I am the knowledge and work. Besides the daily running I am also the one who will be in charge of production. (ie I make it all myself with the other partner supplying the goods) He has proposed .....

This will be a partnership between PARTNER 1 and PARTNER 2(ME) that eventually merges as one company (LLC corporation) after a three year period.

o Equity will be split between PARTNER 1 and PARTNER 2 50% each.

o Equity will have a three year vesting period (33% each year).

§ If either party breaks away from the partnership before the 1st year, the new company is dissolved and ownership of assets will be divided:

· PARTNER 2 will retain 100% of previous business (I own a similar business to the new one) and will be free to operate independently without any liability.

· PARTNER 2 will:

o Retain any liabilities incurred by the new company

o Take ownership of any assets which where obtained during the creation and operation of the new company

§ If either party breaks away from the agreement beyond any vesting period ownership of each side is equal to that vesting period. So for example if the company dissolved after one year, PARTNER 1 would own 33% of PARTNER 2's previous business (or any other entity name which sold the same product) and PARTNER 2 would own 33% of the assets of the new business.

· The new business name is the TO BE DETERMINED and day one we will operate as if it were a fully vested LLC. Actual vested ownership is only relevant in the event one of the parties walks away from the business.

o Since PARTNER 2's business is an existing business we will need estimates for sales, profits/loss and expenses so that it will not be contested in the event of any dissolution.

o Understand that once entered into this business it is expected that all of new sales from that point, regardless of the source, will be paid to the new company (e.g.: PARTNER2's business sales). This excludes any pre-existing inventory which will be at operational discretion to sell to the new company as long as the transaction does not come at a loss.

· Obligations

o PARTNER 1 is responsible for all financial requirements of the new company which the new company is not able to fund through its own operational receipts.

§ This includes all capital expenditures.

§ Kitchen expenses

§ Cooking expenses

§ Product expenses

§ Computer / web / communications

§ Point of sale infrastructure

o PARTNER 2 is responsible for all operational aspects of the new company.

§ Stocking the shelves

§ Purchasing (we will create a mechanism for this through PARTNER 1's business accounting)

§ Labor

§ Maintaining content on web

o As it is in all of our best interest to have a successful / profitable business, PARTNER 1 will provide assistance in any way it can operationally.

o PARTNER 2 will be responsible for manning the store and is only guaranteed labor reimbursement as laid out further in this outline (financial priorities)

· Voting rights.

o As with any corporation the power to make decisions is directly related to the ownership. In this arrangement financial decisions are made by PARTNER 1 management and operational decisions are made by PARTNER 2. However there will always be situations where we will need to decide between us which direction to take.

o Because we are equal partners this presents the possibility of a deadlock situation. All deadlock situations can be broken by the acting President of PARTNER 1's business which at the time of this arrangement is PARTNER 1.

· Financial Priorities. How revenue from the operation is allocated.

o First priority spending (listed in order of importance)

§ Taxes (sales and labor)

§ Product purchases (any material such as Chocolate) which we use to stock our shelves

§ Accounting

§ Level 1 Advertising (TBD amount)

§ General operational expenses not including labor

o Second priority spending (any money remaining after first priority spending)

§ Labor

§ Salary for PARTNER 2 (TBD)

§ Level 2 Advertising (Discretionary and agreed to between principles)

o Third priority spending (any money remaining after second priority spending)

§ Equity distributions voted on one time per month

§ Distributions are split based on ownership in the company. Since we are equal owners, that amount is equally split. E.g.: If the company decided to do a $100 disbursement, $50 would go to each party.

· Issuing shares of the company. The way that ownership is established in a corporation is based on shares of stock allocated. If our corporation is started with 1000 shares of stock PARTNER 2 would receive 500 and PARTNER 1 would receive 500. In the unlikely event that we decided to raise capital for the company this is done by issuing more stock which dilutes the ownership percentage for all existing shares.

o In the unlikely event additional shares are issued, dilution is equal among the two partners and additional shares are not allowed to be issued which will be provided to either party. Sometimes this type of activity is done in order to push someone out of ownership power and we are simply stating here that this is not allowed.

My questions: How do we determine a salary for PARTNER 2 based on me doing all the production and all the sales (retail)?
Am I missing something vital here? I don't want to go into this blind, deaf or dumb to what I need to know and do. I have been trying to due my due diligence prior to us signing anything but that time is nearing. Any help is appreciated.

There are also some very capital intensive businesses and some at the other end of the spectrum that need very little capital but lots of talent and labor. While 50/50 may be a rule of thumb, it is just that. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to splitting partnership profits.

Also, the salary needs to be taken into account. If the working partner is being paid full value for his services, plus 50% of the profits, while the capital partner is only getting 50% of the profits, what is the working partner actually contributing? In many businesses, a reduced salary (at least for some period) is the "equity" in "sweat equity." Alternatively, the capital partner gets his original investment out with a reasonable return (but not at a venture capital return rate of 35-40%), the working partner gets a reasonable salary, and they split what is left over.

vangogh
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Before anything else please know I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on tv or anywhere else. I would suggest you seek the advice of an attorney if you haven't already done so to make sure you understand as best as you can every point in the contract.

Having said that let me remove the legal stuff to try and answer your question. If I'm understanding right what's going on is you have an existing business and you'd like financing to help the business continue and grow so you're taking on a partner to supply that financing. I think for any partnership to truly work all sides need to feel the agreement is fair. When it comes to something like determining your partner's salary I don't think there are hard facts to say he deserves X because he's doing Y. It's going to come down to both of you thinking the amount is fair and reasonable for his contribution to the business. It doesn't mean every party gets exactly what they want. Compromise is important. In the end it still comes down to you both thinking the agreement is fair. If I'm understanding the situation right you need to think about how much you're willing to give up for the financing your partner will contribute.

Even though I'm not an attorney one thing did stand out to me in what you posted

Because we are equal partners this presents the possibility of a deadlock situation. All deadlock situations can be broken by the acting President of PARTNER 1's business which at the time of this arrangement is PARTNER 1.

Sounds like you're basically giving away voting rights in your company. Whenever there's a disagreement your partner will get his way based on the above. I wouldn't do this. I'm not saying it's automatically a bad thing, but I do bear in mind you'd be giving up control over the direction of what I think has been your business up to this point.

Once again I'd suggest seeking out the advice of an attorney, specifically one with experience in partnership agreements. Seems like your partner already has and you should as well.

VillageTreats
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
First of all, thank you for the reply. Let me explain the situation: I have an online only candy business. Partner 1 decided he wanted to add a candy business to his existing business (coffee/ice cream) so he contacted me wanting to buy my candies and sell in his location (our hometown). He then contacted me saying he was thinking that he had an open space in that same building where he wanted to open a complete candy business.(more and various items not on my current business) This is where that proposal I posted came into play. I at no time wanted a financial partner but when approached I decided to give it some thought. I too, am concerned with the other partner having say over deadlocks so that will not be a part of anything I am willing to sign. He has stated (in writing) that he isn't looking to get rich but rather just wants to fill the building with additional business to draw in traffic for the coffee/ice cream shop. That said, he wants to basically bank roll the start up and maintenance of this candy business. I would be doing all the candy making and retail sales. In there he mentioned my salary (TBD) and before going into anything I wondered how we would even determine a fair salary. Retail location would be open 9hrs per day x6 and 6hrs on Sun, for a total of 60 hrs a week. The production would take an additional 10+hrs a week. At this point I am wondering if the original plan (to buy my candy) and/or another plan whereby I make candies from the product he has purchased for him for a determined pay is a better option. I know if I decide to go further I will need to see an attorney. I just wanted to bounce this off others to see if they saw anything that jumped out as concerning. Thanks again!

Before anything else please know I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on tv or anywhere else. I would suggest you seek the advice of an attorney if you haven't already done so to make sure you understand as best as you can every point in the contract.

Having said that let me remove the legal stuff to try and answer your question. If I'm understanding right what's going on is you have an existing business and you'd like financing to help the business continue and grow so you're taking on a partner to supply that financing. I think for any partnership to truly work all sides need to feel the agreement is fair. When it comes to something like determining your partner's salary I don't think there are hard facts to say he deserves X because he's doing Y. It's going to come down to both of you thinking the amount is fair and reasonable for his contribution to the business. It doesn't mean every party gets exactly what they want. Compromise is important. In the end it still comes down to you both thinking the agreement is fair. If I'm understanding the situation right you need to think about how much you're willing to give up for the financing your partner will contribute.

Even though I'm not an attorney one thing did stand out to me in what you posted

Sounds like you're basically giving away voting rights in your company. Whenever there's a disagreement your partner will get his way based on the above. I wouldn't do this. I'm not saying it's automatically a bad thing, but I do bear in mind you'd be giving up control over the direction of what I think has been your business up to this point.

Once again I'd suggest seeking out the advice of an attorney, specifically one with experience in partnership agreements. Seems like your partner already has and you should as well.

vangogh
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Glad to respond. I moved this conversation to a new thread since it's really the start of a new conversation.

Thanks for explaining the situation more. I guess I was wrong in my original assessment. Based on your description it sounds like he's trying to buy your business, but setting it up as a partnership in disguise. I can certainly understand why he's be interested and why you would too. I think it makes sense for both businesses to have the other nearby as it likely increases customers for both without directly competing. I wouldn't pass on the opportunity to be in the same building, though naturally you'd have to compare it to your current location.

What's jumping out at me is he really wants you in the building to improve his ice cream/coffee shop. Completely understandable. However the contract (the portions you've shown) give him too much control and revenue from the business. Given his motivation for making this happen I wouldn't think he'd deserve the voting interest or even 50% of the profit. He'll be getting some return on his financing just by you moving after all. At the same time if he is financing the move and maintenance of the new store so some % of the business is certainly reasonable.

A few questions to ask yourself.

1. Do you think moving will benefit your business? I think so and assume you do too or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
2. How much is his money worth? Do you need his money or his assistance in moving and maintaining your business?
3. How long will the financing last? You probably do either need or want the financial help now, but how long would you really need it. Is it worth 50% of the business if you only need the money for a couple of years?

Like I said above it comes down to what both of you think fair. He's contributing money to the business, which is certainly a contribution. I'm not sure if owns the building and is contributing the space or not. I'm thinking he's not, but if yes, then it is additional contribution. It sounds like you'll be contributing everything else. Is the money he contributes equally valuable to the work you'll be putting in.

Maybe a good way to think about it is to picture the business in say 5 years both where you are and at the new location. Is the business better because of your potential partner's contribution and how much better is it. That how much better should give you an idea of what you think he'll be adding and what % of the business it's worth.

Hope something in there helps.