PDA

View Full Version : How many hours a day do you work.

Watchdog
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I love the work I do, my kids are grown up and out for the most part. But I have long days...typically I start my day at 3:15 am and end about 7 pm, yet I don't feel like I got enough done?

So how many hours do you put into your job.

Thanks

orion_joel
11-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I do a normal 8 hour day at my normal job, usually between 6.30pm and 3am. Then i can spend anything up to 4 or 5 hours in the afternoon working on my business. However i often feel just like you that i do not get enough done

Really for the most part i tend to not feel as satisfied as i think i could working this way. I think i would enjoy it more if i could afford to dedicate myself just to my business. I just think at the moment, with the economic realities as they are i am staying in the job, more so for others then myself, because at the end of the day i can afford to work full time on the business, i just do not trust that i would work as hard as i should.

Steve B
11-10-2008, 02:19 AM
I pretty much work the same hours as you Bud - with the same feeling of not having enough hours to get what I want done. My three kids are in elementary school, so I do have the ability to do stuff with them during the day on occasion. I don't work on Sundays however - except taking an occasional phone call.

greenoak
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
about 5 days 10 to 5 and usually another day .....and thats not counting maybe an hour or 2 of computer time each day.as well....
also business consulting with dh after hrs...hard to measure...
ann

vangogh
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
It varies for me, but I'm easily working 10-12 hours a day. I love what I do so much of it doesn't really feel like work, but I still wonder how come I didn't get as much done as I wanted.

KristineS
11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I work for a company about 10 hours a day. Then I usually put in another couple hours on my own projects after that. I need to do more work on my own stuff.

billbenson
11-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I bet I'm 12 hours, 7 days a week. I take a weekend day off here and there, but that's not the norm

Watchdog
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I'm up that early in the morning and late at night because I also work full time days for a large local Hospital (pretty much for the health insurance)

mr.ro
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah I also work a full time job. I'm up at 530 to go to the gym first then after around 7 I get started on my business stuff. Then work from 145 to 945 and then I put in a couple more hours after work.

I to fall victim to thinking I'm not getting much done. Maybe because I need to write more little goals and wright them off maybe I would feel that I'm getting things done instead of one big goal I have.

Dan Furman
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I just work my business.

I try to keep it at 8 hours a day, but they are varied hours also. I may start at 10am, work till noon, eat some lunch, work some more, go to the mall, work some more, have dinner w/ my wife, watch a movie, maybe work some more, etc etc. And maybe not. I also really try to never work on weekends / holidays (I'm also pretty liberal w/ vacation time.)

I have definitely reached a point in my life (I'm 42) where time off and a healthy work/life balance is important. I'm not putting in 12 hours a day - it's just not worth it (to me - for others, it's fine.)

billbenson
11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Problem with what I do, Dan, is its two jobs and I haven't turned the corner yet to start farming some activities out. I'm a sales guy 10 hours most days and a web designer for the rest of the time.

Dan Furman
11-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Problem with what I do, Dan, is its two jobs and I haven't turned the corner yet to start farming some activities out. I'm a sales guy 10 hours most days and a web designer for the rest of the time.

Yea, two jobs is really hard. I did it years ago - in all honesty, I might not have the stomach for it now. I'm just getting to where stuff is starting to "creak"... even hours of sitting is rough. :) Plus, back then, I didn't have a wife/house that took a decent amount of time.

Do you like the hours you keep? And (if the answer is not "yes"), do you see a realistic point where so much work is not required?

billbenson
11-11-2008, 01:07 AM
I seem to be at a turning point. I'm really working at high interest debt, but am going into the slow season now. I still need a bit of luck. I'm sleeping better at night. I don't enjoy telephone sales which is what pays the bills. The web stuff is fun but very time consuming. In the end, we all have to be salesman. Getting your first job you have to sell yourself to the McDonalds manager.

My problem is I'm having to do the two job thing in my later years. I'd rather be in a hammock with a beer. Not much choice though. You do what you gotta do. The other thing is as a web designer, there is always work to be done. It's not a job where you never have something that doesn't need to be done. Web sites are never completed.

Watchdog
11-11-2008, 05:52 AM
There was a turning point for me, hopefully the second time around. I have spent the first three years building one small niche site this past 9 years before we add forums and then it was slow to move forward to the point we almost shut the site down...today -several years later, it's pretty much on cruise control and profitable. I do contribute to a national trade magazine which helps keep the word out and builds traffic, but for the contributions submitted - that’s a few hours a month for that particular work – but I love the work (hate the dead lines) 

Read the book "The Dip"

Now with that said :) we're doing it again round two!

Blessed
11-11-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure how to measure how many hours a day I spend "working" it seems like most of my waking time is spent working... but I'm a work-at-home-mom, so I guess that is only to be expected!

I do try to take the first hour of the day to myself and then spend an hour or so hanging out with hubby and the little one in the evening between fixing dinner and doing dishes!

Sometimes I'm up until 1 or 2 in the morning finishing up work in time to meet deadlines and other nights I go to bed at 9, too exhausted to do anything else. For the most part I don't do anything on Sunday's that is "work" related and I try to severely limit any time on Saturday's spent with "work" as well.

Dan Furman
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure how to measure how many hours a day I spend "working" it seems like most of my waking time is spent working... but I'm a work-at-home-mom, so I guess that is only to be expected!

I do try to take the first hour of the day to myself and then spend an hour or so hanging out with hubby and the little one in the evening between fixing dinner and doing dishes!

Sometimes I'm up until 1 or 2 in the morning finishing up work in time to meet deadlines and other nights I go to bed at 9, too exhausted to do anything else. For the most part I don't do anything on Sunday's that is "work" related and I try to severely limit any time on Saturday's spent with "work" as well.

That sounds a lot like how I do it (well, except the "mom" part :) ) - I always seem to be doing "something", but at any given time, I might be doing something entirely not work related. Depends on the day, really.

orion_joel
11-12-2008, 01:01 AM
I find that the hours i am keeping are beginning to get more difficult, if i was maybe doing it the other way round where i was working for someone else 4 or 5 hours in the afternoon, and then working on my business 8+hours at night i may handle it better. However, how do you sell stuff to businesses after hours, that is the million dollar question.