PDA

View Full Version : Google+ Hangout with the White House

vangogh
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I thought this was really cool. Earlier today President Obama took part in a Google+ hangout. For those who don't know hangouts are a way to create a group video chat through Google+ People submitted questions and 5 were chosen to be part of the hangout. The President responded to their questions and in some cases follow up questions. I guess he did something similar before through Facebook.

Regardless of where you stand politically, that this can happen is really interesting. In fact lets keep politics out of this thread. I'd rather focus on the technology and the good social sites can bring.

Here's the video of today's hangout session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTj5qMGTAI

It's 50 minutes long if you want to watch it all, though a few minutes should give you an idea of what it's all about.

This was a video conversation with 5 people, the President, and a moderator. It's not too hard to imagine a larger group, more like a town hall online. Even more imagine this on a local level. Imagine being able to participate with your local representatives or at least being able to listen in to their meetings from the comfort of your home. I think this kind of video conference calling through social networks could potentially lead to a more informed population with more direct access to the politicians and a greater ability to be heard.

Would you be more active in politics if you could participate like this? I doubt we'd all be able to get an audience with the President, but it's not too hard to think you could access to local representatives.

KristineS
01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
I think this is a very cool idea, and I applaud the White House and the President for doing it. Like it or not, this sort of technology is here to stay, and it's smart to get out in front of it and learn how to use it.

I think this would be an awesome tool on the state and local level as well. We still have to resort to petitions and things when we do or don't like the way a particular piece of legislation is going. It would be awesome if you could have a video conference about a specific issue and be able to talk directly to those who will be casting votes.

Really, in a way, this is what the Founding Fathers intended. The voice of the people gets heard because people can talk directly to their legislators. Unfortunately, most legislators won't see how this sort of thing is in their best interest.

vangogh
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Hopefully enough people in government will do this before too long. One thing President Obama has done very well where campaigning is concerned is make use of the internet and social media. His success is going to lead to more candidates working with social media and I don't think it will be too long before you see politicians connecting with voters through Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. Some already are.

It will be in their best interest, because those that do connect more with voters will be the people getting elected more frequently.

The idea of this working locally didn't occur to me until I started creating this thread. I started the thread mainly to point people to the video and show what could be done with a Google+ hangout and how I thought this was a good use for it. As I was writing an image popped into my head of hangouts being set up for lots of local government things. Every so often I'll receive something in the mail inviting me to a discussion of some proposed legislation. Usually they refer to some construction project that may happen near me. Most of the time I can't physically attend, but if I could join in on a hangout or even just watch the video at a more convenient time it would be great. I'd be able to provide more input and at the very least be more informed.

I think social media, whether it's Google+ hangouts or something on Facebook or Twitter can lead to a more open and transparent government.

Elias
03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
In my opinion the white house use these things like g+ and twitter to indirectly promote these stuff AND to fake communication with the citizens. Its only for the media to use these things. A real influence is not in these kind of communication. It is like shaking hands and that is and was just a symbol to show the electorate: look i am like you. Yes you may be human, but you have the power we are lacking. So simple as that.

jamesray50
04-05-2012, 12:22 AM
I think it's pretty cool. I hadn't heard about it. But I am a caregiver for my parents and they have Fox News channel on all day, and I guess they forgot to mention this. I love to see new technology, but I'm afraid I won't be able to learn how to use it all.

vangogh
04-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't think Hangouts are too hard to use. I can't say for certain having never joined or started one, but I think it's just a button click inside Google+ to start one. You can then invite your friends or the general public to join. It becomes a multi-person video chat. Naturally this one with the president had tighter controls as far as who could participate, but I think the same general principles applied to setting it up.

Harold Mansfield
04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Politics aside, this President has been the KING embracing and utilizing of Social Media. There is no platform that he isn't on, and updating daily. Their social media strategy, and execution is better than almost every professional company, and "Social Media expert" that I have seen. For me, it's refreshing to see the Government actually leading the way in this area. Like I said, politics aside, but they have rocked it! Impressively. And they attack each platform 100%. I haven't seen one where they have half a**ed it.

Have you seen The White House FB page?
The timeline goes back to the 1700's. Very cool:
https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse

vangogh
04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I hadn't seen their Facebook page. That's pretty cool. They can give a history lesson right there.

President Obama's administration has definitely embraced social media and the web in general. If you check out his personal site (http://www.barackobama.com/) it's actually doing some cutting edge design stuff. I'm not sure how much you know about responsive design, where the layout of a site adapts itself to different devices and conditions. On the Barack Obama page they do some interesting things with the navigation as the width of the browser shrinks down. Check the page and reduce the size of your browser. The menu gets replaces with a single menu button and clicking the button slides the content to the right to reveal the navigation on the left.

I think it's the first site that used that pattern and it's starting to be adopted by others. Pretty cool that the president's website is leading the way. Many government sites, especially those that are related to the White House and the Presidency have become a lot more open with the content they share too. This administration has definitely changed how future administrations will use the web. You're going to need FB and Twitter accounts to get elected.

Look also at Ron Paul. Granted he's not likely to win anything, but much of his campaign is grass roots and taking place online via social sites. You usually find a lot more support for him on different social sites than you might expect given the numbers he gets at the polls. It's not a lot of votes compared to the others, but the numbers have reached a significant level.

President Obama has certainly nailed social and the web. It's a complete 180 from the previous administration.