PDA

View Full Version : All the proper forms for a new modeling agency

Vic
01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
hi everyone,

I've just started a modeling agency in Florida, and operate as a SMLLC. I hire models to work gigs across the country, however they are not exclusive to me by any means. They can work with other staffing agencies, but cannot work with clients that I've assigned them to after my service has been provided.

I have them fill out a regular application, agreement, W9 and request a copy of their license. They operate again, in all states, wherever a convention or event is being held. Must I collect an I-9 form from them as well? They are obviously not employees, but a friend suggested I collect an I-9 from them as well before issuing a check after services have been rendered.

I appreciate all who read this, thanks for your time.

vangogh
01-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Vic. This isn't my area of expertise, but I wanted to reply in the hopes that this thread would be more visible to those who would know better.

I'm thinking if the models aren't employees you wouldn't need to collect an I-9 from them though. Please don't take my word for it, since i'm guessing more than anything else.

jamesray50
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
No, you don't need an I-9 from them, those are only for employees. Just keep collecting the W9's as you have been doing.

Vic
01-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it. Should I also collect social security card copies as well as license copies, or not necessary?

jamesray50
01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
The only thing you need from an independent contractor is a W9. If they refuse to give you one, then you have to withhold backup taxes and submit those taxes to the IRS. That is all you are required to do with IC's.

Vic
01-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Thank you so much, Jo Ellen :)