PDA

View Full Version : using the back of my van as a commercial for a specific product/service

huggytree
01-14-2012, 09:50 PM
i will be getting my van 'wrapped' in a few weeks.....i am planning on the typical company name/etc on the sides...as big as possible

but, i am trying to think of something different for the back door....its basically the size of a single car garage door....so anyone driving behind me is stuck reading it....i thought of advertising for a specific product or service i do...instead of being vague and just saying 'i do plumbing' it could be an advertisement for bath remodels or waterheater replacement....something VERY specific....ive never seen it done before....i never get customers because of what my van says, so if i get ONE customer it will have succeeded

i have no idea what to advertise though.....for homeowners i mostly do $200-$500 service calls and they are all over the map as far as what the project is.....water heaters accounts for maybe 20-30 jobs a year from homeowners...so its what im considering....i dont know how many people will be behind me the same day or week they noticed their water heater leaking.....i also thought i could hit up a water heater business to pay for my advertising if i am specific about their product?

any idea's on what product/service i should be specific about or if the idea is just dumb?

Steve B
01-15-2012, 04:15 AM
I think it's a good idea, but I can't think of anything specifically. Maybe you could list the top three things that a homeowner might get from you.

huggytree
01-15-2012, 08:17 AM
looks like ill have 2-3 weeks to think about it while the van is getting its cube put on the chassis....

i want whatever i choose to be BIG, so i dont want 3 things....i want it narrowed down to 1 thing....but yea Steve it atleast helps to start with the top 3 and then see which is the easiest to market

Steve B
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I've got an idea where you have something that you can change out from time to time. This way you can do test marketing to see what message works the best. Maybe a framed area where you can slide the new thing into it. That way you can update prices and try different things.

1ManSCorp
01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I have been thinking about putting 3 small tvs in my vehicle. Two for side windows and one for the back. With a speaker on top of the vehicle. Then play the video at stop lights. People will see the video. When they roll their window down they will hear what the video has to say. It could be a collection of pics with 5 second intervals of whoever introducing themselves and or their product. The windows will be lined with clear security tint. The tint is almost 3/16 thick.

MyITGuy
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I have been thinking about putting 3 small tvs in my vehicle. Two for side windows and one for the back. With a speaker on top of the vehicle. Then play the video at stop lights. People will see the video. When they roll their window down they will hear what the video has to say. It could be a collection of pics with 5 second intervals of whoever introducing themselves and or their product. The windows will be lined with clear security tint. The tint is almost 3/16 thick.

Just a few thoughts:
You're going to need a pretty large inverter for three TV's...take extra precaution here otherwise your TV's could burn out prematurley.
Check with your state/local laws on what they allow as far as full motion or animated advertisements on vehicles, last thing you want to do is get cited for something that is unlawful and your investment going down the drain.
Lastly, if your going to put 3/16 security tint on the windows, how visible will these TV's really be?

MyITGuy
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
looks like ill have 2-3 weeks to think about it while the van is getting its cube put on the chassis....

i want whatever i choose to be BIG, so i dont want 3 things....i want it narrowed down to 1 thing....but yea Steve it atleast helps to start with the top 3 and then see which is the easiest to market

Look through your sales history to see what your biggest item is and target that item.
I would highly recommend contacting a manufacturer or your wholesaler/resellers to see if they would provide any funding for marketing, the worst they can say is No.
Steve's idea about ease of access to have the item changed out is another good idea, however it may be just as economical to have that section of the wrap redone as needed.

I don't know what type of vehicle/access you need on the rear, but you may also want to look at a rotating advertisement. I.E. Something like this but for the rear of your vehicle: Ad Van-tage Delivery - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piBvmka9zQ) (Although check your local/state laws to see if this would be permitted)

huggytree
01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
my back door is like a garage door...its made up of 4 panels...Steve i dont think your idea would work....i do think its a good idea though to test the market

my latest idea:

XXXXX PLUMBING, LLC

ARE YOU THINKING OF REMODELING
OR ADDING A BATHROOM?

I SPECIALIZE IN IT AND
ID LIKE TO BE YOUR PLUMBER!

CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX

homeowners used to call me to redo the plumbing in their baths all the time....about 2-3 years ago it stopped....only the people with money can now afford it and they use a remodeler instead of being their own prime contractor and hiring out the subs them selves.....but lately things seem to be turning back...i have a couple of homeowner 'large' projects now....its the type of work I WANT...i make the highest profit from it....i could advertise for the small 'service' type jobs, but they really dont pay the bills....they are more 'filler' work that i break even on or make just a tiny bit

any thoughts?

nealrm
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Display the product that has the highest profit margin.

henryz
01-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I like Steve's idea but instead of a snap frame where the graphics is interchangable, the designer can create a wrap when the middle portion can be easily overlayed with a new product or service, even seasonal specials without having to remove the entire graphic you can overlay the material over the existing graphic.

huggytree
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
it would have to be something that comes in 4 panels and can handle being sprayed continuously with salt and mud as the back door takes a beating

i just dont see it looking good and being heavy duty.....

bathroom remodels and bath tub remodels make me the most money..

i could be more specific than a bath remodel/addition and do bath tub replacement.

maybe

XXXX PLUMBING, LLC

WE REPLACE BATH TUBS

CALL XXX-XXX-XXX

i could have a before and after pic as a ghosted image behind the words

Haup9
01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Huggy

I like the idea you mentioned last. Very straight forward. Obvious what you are advertising.

huggytree
01-17-2012, 07:57 AM
bath fitters is very popular in my area...they put a new tub OVER the old tub....they charge the same as if you tore the old one out and replaced it...so im equal to them financially and ahead of them w/ quality......the only thing bath fitters has over me is speed...they can be done in 8 hours, while my process of redrywalling and repainting takes a week....

having a before and after photo on the back of my van will help.....im liking the idea more and more too...its specific and profitable..............it used to be a very popular project for me....since the economy tanked 2 years ago its rare now

Steve B
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Maybe something like - You can get NEW for the same price as the facelift alternative (or something like that).

I don't see the time as much of an issue, because anyone that could afford it will probably have at least 1 or 2 other baths in the house to use for the week.

Russ in Vancouver
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
seems that disposable income is much rarer now than before 2007
just a suggestion, what about focusing on what consumers must have rather than what only a few could afford to have and the rest dream of. (2/98) 2% can afford it, the other 98% can dream about it)

Everyone needs a hotwater tank replacement at some time or another. Maybe a little education while they are stuck behind you.

Did you know......
"Average lifetime of a H/W tank is 10 years, is it time to inspect yours before she BLOWS?? "
Maybe have a pic of a flooded basement.

And like Steve and a few others mentioned, maybe you could have your brand on the top panel and contact info on the bottom one, then rotate the middle 2 panels with a new copy if you are not getting any calls.
just a few thoughts while I wait for my coffee to brew :)

link http://theshepherdgroup.ca/blog/brokers-have-insurance-claims-too/

JohnVDW
05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Here's an image I use all the time. You could alter to suit your own business and tie it in with your advertising. 221
This brochure get's me a lot of clients - It's my business after all. Everyone that messages me is a business person looking to increase their turnover.
The SMS they send me also gets me their social media id's as well so I can contact them on lots of levels.