PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure success?

Blessed
11-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Is it in how much money you make, how many friends you have or something all together different?

Spider
11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Success is probably different for each person, although there will likely be some common features to most.

For me, success means being happy. I found in the past that sometimes life was tougher than other times. Gradually, though, I came to realise that the difficulty wasn't associated with events or people or situations. Some situations that I would have expected to be tough weren't, and sometimes when things should have been easy they weren't. It took a while but it dawned on me eventually that the deciding factor was my own attitude. The moment I decided that I was going to be happy from here on out, life changed for me.

It seems obvious now, as I look back, but it wasn't at the time. For example, someone did something that screwed me up. I got angry. I was not happy. Once I realised that happiness was a choice and I chose to be happy, everything improved. I was still screwed up but not angry over it. I felt better, and because I felt better, I was more able to overcome the setback and all the sooner get back on track.

On further reflection, I came to the conclusion that I had always been a happy person but usually under pressure from my chosen career. I discovered that my life purpose had always been to be happy. Goals could come and go, some I achieved, some I didn't, but what mattered through it all was that I was happy. That's what I had been trying to do all the time - to be happy - and that is to be on purpose.

But happiness is a choice, I found. So. now, having chosen to be happy, the rest doesn't matter. I guess, as I approach the end of my life and I begin to face my own mortality, I look back and realise that I can only remember the happy times. All the sad, miserable, hurtful and difficult times have faded to reveal the happiness that was always there. If only I could have focussed on the happiness back then rather than the pain.

I like to think that I won't be afraid to go when my number is called. I have had more than my fair share of happiness and life. I've done more and been to more places than others may have seen and done in three lifetimes. I'll arrive at my funeral on the back of a motorcycle, all old and gray and all used up, I'll screech to a halt in a cloud of dust, and shout, "Wow! What a ride!"

Patrysha
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I measure success in small increments. Finishing a project, getting a spot of media coverage for a client, hearing from a prospect that I don't already know directly, completing my to do list, a clean kitchen, a basket of folded laundry...

For me it's easier to measure in the small ways rather than focusing on how much money is in the bank or how much is being billed out for the month. Attending to and counting the details leads to the same thing and makes me grateful every day.

mr.ro
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
yes im going to have to agree success is going to be different from person to person. For me it would depend on what part of life your talking about. In business of course I want to be able to make a living off what im doing and not have to be stuck at a job where im not happy so until I get there i have not reached my big goal. but I do reach my daily goals like getting new clients, new projects, and most importantly learning something new.

KristineS
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I guess for me success is living the kind of life I want to live. For me that would mean making a difference in the lives of others and in the world around me.

vangogh
11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree with Frederick. For me success is about being happy. There isn't really a monetary goal applied, though I still have specific monetary goals and I might measure the success of those specific goals.

Overall it's about maintaining a certain quality of life. Money can enter into that, but it's not the sole measure of success. More important are things like enjoying the work I do and enjoying the time I spend after work with friends, family etc.

To me the journey is its own reward and as long as I'm enjoying the journey I consider myself successful.

greenoak
11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
i agree with frederick too....and to me thats about being secure in finances and family and doing my own thing.... my thing is such an adventure, i feel lucky to have it....not many regrets or wish i haddahs ...
i hope i go out out in the parking lot digging thru a great load of stuff....and before all my loved ones....

Dan Furman
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I guess for me success is living the kind of life I want to live.

That's my definition of it, too.

Prettymuch feel successful right now - I can't think of many things I want to change.

orion_joel
11-05-2008, 01:33 AM
I like to be one of those different people, so while being happy is a part of success for me, i have a maybe complicated idea of what success is, to me anyway.

For me there is a definite financial portion in the goal. For me that financial measure is improving my financial position each year, either by earning more from my business, getting a higher paying job, adding another revenue stream, whatever it may be that helps me move forwards rather then backwards financially. The financial aspect is something that many people are not specifically focused on, however for me it is something that i am not ashamed to claim as a measurement of success.

Additionally i also take my overall feeling of where i am in life, what i am doing, and how this all ultimately affects me, both mentally and physically. If i am content with what i am doing and the overall affect, i am successful, if i am not content and feel i am not in the right place in respect to anything, then i am not successful. Ultimately for me there is a huge number of factor's that define success or not.

Blessed
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I enjoy asking questions like this and getting everyone's thoughts... :)

For me success is measured in being content and seeing my loved ones happy and content as well. Money is nice, knowing people is great fun, but the most important thing is being at peace with my circumstances, having no broken relationships and accomplishing the small goals I set for myself everyday. When I can do those things and have the right attitude toward life I am content and then I am successful.

BillR
11-06-2008, 01:02 AM
To me success = luxury.

And on that note luxury = having things EXACTLY how you want them.

For example, take Warren Buffett. He lives in the house he bought a LONG time ago when he was not exactly wealthy. Why? Because he wants to - and by that definition he is living in luxury. He could literally afford an island with hundreds of staff. Does he do it? no...

By that same token I look a the amount of my life that I am living now and compare it to what I would do if I had unlimited resources. In some respects I live in luxury. I buy and wear whatever I want to wear - it just so happens I have very simple tastes.

Other things could stand improvement :)

Watchdog
11-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I have seen many successes..I'm now working toward the financial success. But at the end of the day, it's all about what type of provider I can be for my family and that includes providing the good things in the life and a bonus of some meterial things would be nice ;)

Spider
11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
One little trick I have often suggested is to determine who your #1 millionaire hero is - a super-wealthy individual who can have anything they want in the world. Then find out what kind of mattress they sleep on. Chances are it's a good mattress but not horrendously expensive. I mean, how expensive can a mattress be?

Buy yourself the same kind of mattress. You will then be spending one third of your life in exactly the same way as is your favorite millionaire.

If not a mattress, then think of some other ordinary, but oft-used item your millionaire hero uses.

It's a silly idea, perhaps, but very practical.

Blessed
11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Frederick... it's funny that you should mention a mattress - we have a sleep-number bed, they are pretty expensive - but I found mine for free on Craigslist :) And the gas and time it took to go pick it up, then the time spent cleaning it before we used it were well worth the investment!

Spider
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
B, I don't fault your frugality, at all, and this thread is about success, not millionaires, yet I often wonder how many millionaires pride themselves on getting things for free. You see, I don't ever think of getting something for free. If it's thrust in my face, I'll take it but never think of going out of my way to get it. I think everything I spend is just another round the money is making. My expenditure is someone else's earnings and their spending ieventually comes back as my earning, and so on, round and round and round.

I'm not sure what that says about this subject, I just thought I'd drop it in.