PDA

View Full Version : facebook timeline....

greenoak
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
i just saw a business facebook page that used this....IKKK... too many places to look, confusing, not sure whats the current thing.... too much trouble for a quick scan, which is all i want from most pages.... hope i dont have to learn this and change everything..... time will tell...
have you seen it? whats your feeling about it?

SnellExperts
12-15-2011, 11:06 PM
What were they using the IKKK for? I'm confused.

TimPiazza
12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
i think IKKK is the same as "Yuck!" I think Ann is referring to the timeline feature on the right side of the screen that is basically stalking your friends' activities on other pages. :-)

When I'm doing Facebook for business purposes, I use a custom app that lets me focus on the interactions. No ads, no timeline, just my posts and the reactions to my posts.

Tim

Tim

vangogh
12-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Ann that's going to be the look of everyone's page starting next week. Facebook announced this back in September and some people have already been using it. Now they're rolling it out to everyone. You can go to Facebook's page announcing timeline (http://www.facebook.com/about/timeline) to see what your timeline will look like and to activate it now if you wish. Even if you don't choose to activate it now, it'll become active on December 22nd.

It's Facebook's way of taking everything you've ever said or done on Facebook and making it more accessible to everyone. I went through earlier and removed some things from my Timeline, that I didn't think needed to be kept public.

I'm not crazy about the look of Timeline, but I'm not crazy about the look of Facebook in general. I've always thought it's a more confusing place than it needs to be and it's a bland design at best. I will say that after playing with it for a few minutes I did think it was easier to find some things in the new timeline so that's good.

greenoak
12-16-2011, 06:38 AM
vg....dang....thats what i was afraid of.....i had read that a while back too...and thought i would like it more than i do on first impression...... i like the current format....being the chameleon i am i will go with the flow...but time will tell....
;ikkk is yukkk...
.no it isnt on the side.... the page i saw had her main posts in at least 2 columns..it wasnt one post after the other
..then on down there was a heading that said november..... it was a whole new lay out..... i know what tim means about the side bar, it wasnt that.....
ive only seen one page of it so far....

vangogh
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Yep, that's the timeline you saw down the middle of the page. I remember when they first started showing it I thought it looked nicer than it finally did. In the end I assume everyone will get used to the new Facebook.

You have the option to switch to the new look now, though most people probably aren't aware of it yet, so most people are still showing the old layout. Over the next week you'll probably see more of the new layout and then on the 22nd it'll be the only layout.

greenoak
12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
boy, thats going to be a huge change ...guess i better get used to it...

vangogh
12-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I think we all have to get used to it. I remember when people started seeing it a few months back some people loved it and others hated it. Guess that's usual for any Facebook change or change in general. I'm sure next week and the one after we'll be seeing all kind of posts about how Facebook just ruined the internet and also posts about how they just saved it.

I'm sure we'll get used to the changes once they've been with us for a time.

greenoak
12-17-2011, 09:16 PM
i signed up and have a beautiful picture on my page... i havent heard how to do busness pages yet....

KristineS
12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I switched over to the timeline today and I'm enjoying it. I like being able to go back and see what I was talking about six months ago. So, far, I haven't found it too confusing.

greenoak
12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
its not bothereing me either...especially sicnce i can hit home and see what my friends are posting, in the normal order...

vangogh
12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
especially sicnce i can hit home and see what my friends are posting, in the normal order

The thing is that's supposed to be going away in a few days once everything switches over to timeline. Timeline is going to be the new normal order.

vangogh
12-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Here's a walk through for using Timeline from The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/19/2639888/facebook-timeline-how-to-use), which is a good site for tech news in general. Whenever I've read comments on posts about Timeline, including this one, there always seems to be a mix of people who love Timeline and those who hate it. I suppose that's normal for most every Facebook change over the years.

KristineS
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I can see why, for some people, timeline would be a bit more confusing. It is more jumbled than the old page was. I like it though. I think, once you get comfortable with it, the timeline does make things and people easier to find.

vangogh
12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
The easier to find aspect is part of why some people don't like Timeline. I think some have been posting with the expectation that posts become hard to find after awhile and so weren't as concerned with certain privacy settings. Now that the older stuff is much easier to find they feel the need to lock down their profiles a bit more, but the ability to do that easily isn't there. Granted these people were posting stuff to a site where it was clearly public, but that's what I've seen some saying.

Again it seems to me these are the usual complaints whenever Facebook makes any kind of change and the net opinion is and probably will be a positive one.

If anything I found it easier to find settings in my profile when using Timeline, which is a good thing. Facebook has always been more confusing to me than it needs to be, but the newest design appears to make things more quickly accessible. At the same time I doubt it's going to get me to share more of my personal life through the site.

greenoak
12-21-2011, 06:58 AM
I will be interested in seeing how they change the friends comments coming in....mine is still the same....if i hit home..... where did you read that would change vg?