PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Build My Website (non experienced)

glenneena
11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
As described in my other posts, I am going to open a used car lot and bill pay/cell phone/money gram/pre-paid cards, etc., business in South Floirda next year.

I am looking to get started with a website where I can work along with someone that is capable to put it together and tweak it the way I want.

I am not into computers/graphics except for these types of boards, emails, invoicing, word processing, etc. I don't want to spend time doing all the design and such. I am desirous to provide the content and the photos, etc., what is it that I need and who can do it????

Did place a call or two, to some website builders that talked above my level and understanding and I can only assume they were some 20 something year old computer freaks that live, eat and breath the stuff. I don't.

I envision a Home Page, Inventory Page, Location-Directions-Hours Page, How To Buy Page (this is for the Buy Here Pay Here model), Programs Page, Contact Us Page, Apply on-line Page, and an Events Page.

I want a few special things, but nothing that is super exotic per se. Thanks, Glen.

billbenson
11-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I always make the suggestion to someone like yourself to do a hobby site and get it placed well on the search engines. Web sites are or are becoming the best marketing tool you have and you should know something about them. If you do a hobby site as I described, you will learn enough to manage your web designer and make the best use of your site.

As to where to start. I'd use a platform like Wordpress. You could read some tutorials and put your site up in a day or two and you don't need to know programming. If you decide you don't like the site or need something specialized, there are a ton of web desingers ourt there that know how to use it. There are some web designers here that specialize in WordPress. wordpress.org/

glenneena
11-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I much rather give the input and vision rather than doing it myself???????

billbenson
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
You are managing a business. Unless you have someone who is competent under you that can manage a web designer, you need to know something about it. You are going to be selling cars. If you don't know a Porsche from an Audi or what a blown head gasket or radiator leak is, how can you manage your. business?

Most business owners don't know much about internet marketing. Most of those loose out on what is becoming the most important marketing tool today. It's certainly your option to delegate that, but if you know nothing about it, the odds are good that you will end up with a junk website. It might look pretty, but does it sell?

Most of your competition is getting by with websites that don't sell as well. Its an area that you can easily surpass the competition. If I want a car, I want to type in to the computer the car details and get a listing of the best options closest to me. Maybe I'm open to a group of cars types. I want that listing. If you don't pop up on that list, I will never visit your car lot.

While you have been successful, farming out tasks that you know nothing about and don't know how to manage will likely end in money ill spent.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Having said all of that, if you want to continue on your current course web wise:

Have someone design a simple site. You want to be able to add cars and details either through them or yourself. That should cost under $1k and you can upgrade it at any time.

nealrm
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Glenneesa,
You need to be able to give the designer a clear idea of what you want. You would tell a TV producer to "Make me ad that advertises cars", nor would you tell that to a newspaper. Go out and look at other sites the sell cars. Determine what features you like and do not like. Also decide on the image you want to project. Are you wanting to project a upper end used cars picture or the cheap, everyone gets credit version. Also, while it is OK to get inspiration from another website it is not OK to copy it.

Dan Furman
11-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Glenneesa,
You need to be able to give the designer a clear idea of what you want. You would tell a TV producer to "Make me ad that advertises cars", nor would you tell that to a newspaper. Go out and look at other sites the sell cars. Determine what features you like and do not like. Also decide on the image you want to project. Are you wanting to project a upper end used cars picture or the cheap, everyone gets credit version. Also, while it is OK to get inspiration from another website it is not OK to copy it.

This is good advice.

You will have to answer some 'tech" questions - do you have a domain, do you need hosting, etc? They will also ask what do you mean by "apply online" or your inventory page - is it going to be a realtime database driven inventory page, or will it need to be updated after a car is sold, etc?

Your budget for this project is also going to determine the quality of web designer you get, and how well they can work with you. Generally, the less you know, the more work the web designer has to do, and the more you have to pay. If the web designer has to secure your domain name, get hosting, etc, that adds to the bill. Just a guess, but I would say from what you are describing you are probably looking at a few thousand (assuming the apply online and inventory pages are more than just static pages).

glenneena
11-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Yes I would assume in will cost some $$$. I did find someone on here that has taken the time to talk it out seems like he knows his stuff. I am comfortable in my decision to use him. Thanks.

Dan Furman
12-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Yes I would assume in will cost some $$$. I did find someone on here that has taken the time to talk it out seems like he knows his stuff. I am comfortable in my decision to use him. Thanks.

Excellent. I've worked with some people here, and have been very happy w/ the results.

Best of luck!

socialme82
08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, I think wordpress based design is ideal for anyone who wants to save money, not have to tweak the code but to be able to update text and pictures. Also wordpress is very expandable to do lots and lots of things like media intensive photo galleries and so much more. Also it does great in search engines and you can run a blog or a website using it.

rajesh
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
You can learn HTML and basic web design from w3schools.com. But, it will require some time which I don't think that you will be able to do. You can try wordpress. It has number of themes from which you can create your website. Nowadays, many hosting providers provide with DIY(Do It Yourself) website builders. They are not even bad. I would recommend you hosting from hostgator.com. It provides the DIY web builders. But my first option stll remains wordpress.

daveM
11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
I suggest that you spend a bit of time learning about setting up and managing a site for the reason that you are going to want to use the site for marketing, having some knowledge will allow you to maximize your investment. Delegating the tasks to someone else may end up being costly if you have no idea as to what is involved. You, personally, have to be the 'voice' of your site, the customers will react to the person writing the articles. Give this some consideration. Good luck with your business.!!

Harold Mansfield
11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I've written a couple of posts that may point you in the right direction.

If you are reasonably versed on the web and want to tackle doing it yourself, check this article out:
How to Bootstrap Together a Business Website for Under $100 | NHABIT (http://nhab.it/how-to-bootstrap-a-business-website-togetherfor-under-100/)

If you are looking to hire someone and aren't sure what to look for, or get exactly what you need and want, check this one out:
How to hire a Website Designer, get what you want, and not get overcharged | NHABIT (http://nhab.it/how-to-hire-a-website-designer/)

Hope they help.

ryantc
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
One option would be is going with a freelancer or virtual assistant. That way you can gather your thoughts / ideas and simply share them with the individual who does the work.

TejasWebHosting
01-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Try using wordpress, but e-commerce sites can be confusing.. just a warning!