PDA

View Full Version : shared hosting plans with unlimited alias

Russ in Vancouver
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Hello all,

I hope you are all enjoying the fall. Its freaking cold up here in Canada.

I have a Q about the shared hosting plans that let one have anywhere from 1-unlimited websites with an aliased domain name that is all under one account.

How do seo crawlwers decipher this, for instance if I have 30 sites and they all have links to each other-would this be beneficial or would this penalize my SE rankings?

Or would the search engines just see this as links that are internal.

Thanks!!

vangogh
11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Probably neither. Search engines can detect patterns in interlinked sites, they can tell the IP address of the different sites, and they own a domain registrar, which should help them determine who owns each domain.

It's reasonably easy for them to determine all those links are just you linking to yourself so thinking of links as being at the core a vote from one web page to another, it's not much a vote to vote for yourself. On the other hand it's reasonable to think you'll link from one of your sites to another. For example I have links to my web design business in my signature here and I sometimes link back to the forum from that site.

My recommendation is just link between sites where it makes sense for the visitors of a given site. If you think the link adds value to your visitors then add it. If your only reason to add the link is potential search benefit then you probably shouldn't add it.

MyITGuy
11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I would state that this has a high probability of penalizing your search engine rankings. Multiple sites on the same IP Address, all linking to each other just sounds like someone wanting to game the system by increasing the number of backlinks they have.

billbenson
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Google will know it's you interlinking. Via whois or by the ip or otherwise. If there is no reason other than SEO to interlink, don't It won't help your SEO and its possible G will decide not to like you which you don't want.

If its valid interlinking do it. Just don't do it for SEO.

Russ in Vancouver
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
thanks guys :)

Happy new year and all the best wishes to you in your future endeavors

vangogh
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Glas to help Russ. Happy New Year to you as well.

I would state that this has a high probability of penalizing your search engine rankings.

Not necessarily. It really depends on the sites and links in question more than the fact that they sit on the same IP. Most everyone on a shared hosting account is using the same IP address for any domain they have under the one account. They also share that IP with the hundreds or ten thousands of other sites on the same server. There's lots of reasons why some of those sites would link back and forth though especially all the ones under your account.

Using myself as an example both this forum and the site in my signature share a server. They don't use the exact same IP, but close enough and it's easy enough to tell both sites are owned by the same person. There's plenty of reasons for me to link between the two sites. If I added a site for another related business I'm going to start interlinking with that site too.

It really depends on the sites involved and how many of them there are. If you're talking hundreds of unrelated sites all interlinking then sure search engines may take some action. If you're talking a handful of related sites you can safely interlink them as much as you want. You probably aren't going to see the same kind of seo benefit as if the sites were all on different C-Blocks in their IPs, but you shouldn't worry you're going to get penalized either.

seolman
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Actually I find that Google is very selective in penalizing link farms. I know a guy who constantly brags about how he has tricked Google for years simply masking domains on Godaddy and adding thousands of bogus links from his blogs (sites that scrape content and have thousands of pages of useless info) and his client sites. Every time he gets a new client he just spins up a few thousand extra pages on his 40 or so phony blogs and links back to his client sites. I know of at least 3 separate people who have turned him in through Google's official spam notification page and he still sits at the top for some significant search terms despite the fact that well over 90% of his backlinks are from his link farms. I guess if he was mentioned in the New York Times Google would make it a priority.

I suggest being penalized by Google is not very likely - but I still recommend you follow good linking practices as these pay of much better in the long run.

vangogh
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't think Google penalizes as much as people want to think. What they're more likely to do is not count the links in any way, which on the surface comes across as a penalty. And there are definitely ways to get around many of Google's rules and guidelines. However if you have to ask how to do that, you probably don't know enough to get away with it.

You also have to consider the industry and competition. If you have no competition then even a few junky links will help. But as the competition starts generating quality links your junk links don't work so well.