PDA

View Full Version : trick or treat

billbenson
11-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Out of curiosity, did people here get trick or treaters on Halloween.

I haven't had any in years and live in a very safe neighborhood. Not even with parents. Are parents to scared to take their kids out anymore?

Steve B
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
We didn't get any, but we're not in a great location for it. Around here, lots of kids go to church functions and other structured events. There is also a fair amount that don't celebrate Halloween due to some apparent connection with the devil (I'm in the Bible belt I guess).

billbenson
11-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Funny Steve, because I grew up in an extreme religious environment. High School in the 70's and we had daily sermons in a religious high school that all rock and roll was diabolico. I listen to some of the same songs today and they were love songs. At the same time, Halloween was ok.

I've met some people that don't practice Halloween in recent years for religious reasons. Funny that's showing up now but wasn't present to my knowledge growing up. Particularly in the environment I was in. We couldn't even play cards or dance (in that era you didn't touch during dancing). You would be expelled from school for either of those.

I think its more parents getting scared though. To bad, it was a fun thing as a kid.

Blessed
11-03-2008, 08:37 AM
We had five or six and that was it... we have a lot of kids on our street and this is a very safe neighborhood too, but I do know that a couple of the local churches had big things going on that a bunch of people took their kids to instead.

KristineS
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I didn't see any, and I thought I would because there are a lot of kids that live around my new place. Of course I got home later, so that might have had something to do with it.

Evan
11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Didn't have any come to my house either. What a waste of Halloween candy -- as if I really want to eat all of it.

I guess that's why you buy only the stuff you like :-)

Blessed
11-03-2008, 02:25 PM
That's what I did Evan - and I didn't buy a lot of it either... of course my scales tell me to stay far away from the candy but... it tastes so good :D

billbenson
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Last years candy is in the garage somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

BillR
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
We had 1 - but we just moved into our house. Construction just finished and I think a lot of our new neighbors don't even know we live here yet.

When I was out and about on Halloween night I was driving about 5 MPH through the neighborhood because there were SO many kids out. We'll have dozens next year I'm sure.

KristineS
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I got smart and didn't buy any extra candy. I have dark chocolate squares that I keep as a treat for myself. I figured if I had kids stop by, they'd get those.

I certainly didn't need any extra candy at my place.

orion_joel
11-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Halloween has not been traditionally that big in Australia, there have been the odd people that go around for years, however i think this year for the first time i actually saw some people putting up some decorations for halloween. But because i work nights did not really see if anyone actually stopped trick or treating. It does seem to be growing in Australia.

Steve B
11-04-2008, 06:07 AM
We couldn't even play cards or dance (in that era you didn't touch during dancing). You would be expelled from school for either of those.

That reminds me of one of my favorite jokes. It asks why a certain religous group won't make love standing up.... They don't want anyone to think they're dancing.

Steve B
11-04-2008, 06:09 AM
I heard on TV that Halloween is now #2 behind Christmas for the amount of money that people spend. That surprised me. It also said that it's not just a holiday for kids anymore.

orion_joel
11-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I am not sure that this speaks for all adults, however i do think that adults sometimes like to get that young feeling again. Not even just in the spirit of halloween or other such holidays, but in general i think it good.

I find that it can make it a lot easier to bear at work, and plays a little to the softer side of people if sometimes you just really have a moment that shows you still like to have fun like a child. I find this especially plays well to younger coworkers/employee's because they see you are not some uptight older guy, even for me when i am only a couple of years their senior if that.