PDA

View Full Version : Posts missing

YourSocial
11-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I've posted three posts and I cannot find a single one, why not?

vangogh
11-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi Cody. It's because you added links to your posts. The forum is set so that posts with links by new members are automatically sent to moderation. Unfortunately it's a spam tactic for link building and it helps the forum have less spam. I'll go through your posts and approve as appropriate.

Dane Pymble
11-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi

I think I have suffered from a similar problem yoursocial has. If my comments were deemed spam please let me know as of course that was not my intention. I of course engage in linkbuilding like many on these forums but I at all times try to ensure the links I provide are adding value to the discussion.

I am sure I have commented on a couple of posts a few weeks ago.

vangogh
11-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Dane. Yep it was the same thing, the links. There are 2 issues with links. First is we don't want people posting just to build links for their sites or clients. Otherwise this forum could quickly become little more than a place for people to drop links, which waters down the quality of the forum.

Links are fine when they offer additional information, but for the most part you should be able to remove all links from a post and still have the post be valuable.

You'll probably notice that some people who've been here awhile might offer little more than a link sometimes. In part it's because they've been here long enough and have contributed quite a bit that it's clear they aren't here just to build links. That brings me to the second issue, which is dropping links in your first few posts. Until you have a history here it's hard to know if a link is meant as a genuine contribution or if it's just to build a link. The forum software has been set so that until a member has made a few posts any post with a link in it will automatically go to moderation.

Hope that makes it clear.

cbscreative
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I would just add one thing you may have already noticed. We're pretty lenient here with sig privileges. Like vangogh said, we don't want this place to be a haven for link drops. A certain .com became one of those a few years ago due to negligence of its new owners at that time. Many of its members came here to salvage what little was left of what was once a great forum.

Because we're here to be an asset to small business, we allow members a good flexibility in creating their sig file (complete with links) unless they demonstrate that's the only reason they're here. Those types of members add nothing to the quality here, and we can't be the best small business forum without vigilance. The rules are to provide everyone with an enjoyable experience.

greenoak
11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
a couple of times my links got deleted too..faceboook links on a facebook thread... then some other posters can have related links in therir posts ...so its hard to figure..... ive been on here for years......i dont want my links my sig....

cbscreative
11-14-2011, 06:04 PM
a couple of times my links got deleted too..

Ann, you need to be nice to vangogh, or he will delete your links no matter how long you've been here. :D

Just kidding of course. I have no idea what may have caused that.

vangogh
11-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Ann I explained it to you once or twice before. You decided you didn't want to add links in your signature. That's where the link to your Facebook page belongs. You don't have to add the link in your signature, but you can't then add it inside posts that talks about Facebook. That's just self promotion and those links are deleted for everyone. No one is allowed to just drop links into posts.

Where it might be allowed is say someone asks a specific question and you've written a blog post that answers the question in great detail. You could give a brief summary answer to the question here and point someone to your post for a more detailed explanation. If all you did was add the link and tell people to visit it for an answer it would get deleted.

When you've added a link to your Facebook it's usually not something that adds more information to thread. It's usually been a "here's my Facebook page" sort of thing. That kind of link belong in your signature. Anywhere else it's not allowed and gets deleted.

greenoak
11-14-2011, 07:19 PM
i remember your explanation..actually, i didnt think i was randomly dropping in links..i thought it was an illlustration of what we were talking about...a working page.... i think on a facebook question i apparantly misjudged the situation by thinking that the members would be interested in my page as an example of the facebook subject we were talking about.
...i dont think dropping links/ spamming on here would be profitable for our store....you arent in my region or target audience...
whatever...im not doing it anymore...

billbenson
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
i remember your explanation..actually, i didnt think i was randomly dropping in links..i thought it was an illlustration of what we were talking about...a working page.... i think on a facebook question i apparantly misjudged the situation by thinking that the members would be interested in my page as an example of the facebook subject we were talking about.
...i dont think dropping links/ spamming on here would be profitable for our store....you arent in my region or target audience...
whatever...im not doing it anymore...

Out of curiosity, why don't you want links in your signature?

greenoak
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
well, on here i want to t alk about business, the behind the scenes parts..... i know its not secret, its on the web....... but if a potential customer is searching us out i dont want my posts on here popping up and them easily reading the behind the scenes stuff...i might be talking about mark ups, marketing, all kinds of things that i dont really discuss with customers.... its just a c hoice..i googled us once and saw way too many posts from here under our name...
. and i dont sell on line and dont have any ideas of selling to anyone on the forum..so i just dont see any plusses about putting the store out there in e very post.... ..
hopefully you have seen my website, blog or facebook back when my links were on everyday and realize i do have a big active store...