PDA

View Full Version : Starting an LLC in NJ

oxlizxo
11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi, I'm going to be starting an LLC in NJ, offering video and photo booth services. I currently work for a company that does this and am getting paid freelance. I do NOT want my current company to find out about the new LLC that I will be making. I know that if my current company looks for my LLC they can find it, but if they are NOT looking for it, will they know about it, just by paying me?

Business Attorney
11-04-2011, 01:18 AM
First, I see no way that simply paying you would alert anyone to the fact that you are also a member or a manager of an LLC.

Furthermore, while it is probably possible for the company to find that you are connected to your LLC, it is not as easy with an LLC in New Jersey as it is in some other states. A New Jersey LLC (http://www.limitedliabilitycompanycenter.com/newjersey.html) does not list either ownership or management of the LLC in the certificate of formation (the Public Records Filing for Business Entity [pages 23-24 of the New Jersey Complete Business Registration Package])

oxlizxo
11-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks! I just wanted to be absolutely sure. I don't want to lose my job over this!