PDA

View Full Version : Need simple web hosting

Spider
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
My current host, Directnic, whom I have used for the past 10 years, has decided to drop ad-supported free hosting and paid bannerless hosting. Paid bannerless hosting has been free hosting with the ads removed for a fee. It has been very easy to use due to the lack of features. This has been perfect for me and still would be, but I am now forced to find an alternative.

The alternative that Directnic is offering is their full-featured cPanel and is consuming more time than I am prepared to devote to make the transition. In any case, I do not need any of the features now being offered.

All I want is server space, e-mail forwarding and ftp access to upload my webpages. I don't want MySQL, statistics, site builders, php, abc def or any of that other stuff most of which is foreign to me, anyway. And I just don't have the time to learn it all.

Does anyone know of a reputable hosting service that offers a super-simple un-featured hosting service that will replace my current Bannerless hosting service?

MyITGuy
10-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I run cingularhosting.net (Free Transfers are available if this is what the hangup is) =P, but it's powered by cPanel.

I honestly am not aware of anyone who doesn't offer a full featured service as the majority of people are demanding these features (At least in regards to php and MySQL) and the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there to maintain separate systems with separate management software (I.E. cPanel) and the associated overhead for this separation.

MyITGuy
10-26-2011, 12:22 PM
And I just don't have the time to learn it all.

Additionally, why do you feel the need to learn it all? If all you want is Web/FTP Access, then this is enabled by default. Configuration of e-mail forwarders is pretty straight forward and once configured you don't need to touch them again.

Just because something is there, doesn't mean you have to learn it right away...just make do with what you need and in the future if you need to utilize these features you can learn them at that point.

kerrylinux
10-26-2011, 12:26 PM
You may have a look at vidahost (https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/overview). But like MyITGuy I don't know if what you wish is the best option for you to get.

billbenson
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't see the point either. For $5 per month you have all that stuff and use what you need. You will always have to use some control panel, cpanel or others to set up your email. Stormwire.com - Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Registration, SEO, And More ... (http://stormwire.com) is l$5 per month email only support though. No phone calls.

Where the bare bones host you are looking for really fails is in support, up to date servers for virus's hacking etc.

Your acting as if you are paying for something you don't want. It's in there in the free hosts. You may not have access to it, but its there.

MostHeather
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Sometimes the features are what makes something really cool, new and exciting. Otherwise everyone would be happy to drive an 83 AMC Pacer equipped with an 8-track player. :)

Were you able to find a host to fit the bill?

fivewarp
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Are you looking for a free hosting provider or a paid provider?

If your running a business from the website, its best to use a paid provider. We just launched a Cloud Web Hosting platform and are looking for beta testers if your interested.

christinagilman
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I use Dreamhost. I've been happy with them, especially their customer service. If I have a question they always respond promptly.

nicolassage
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Blacksun is cool ;-)