PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation Marketing

ParaTed2k
10-25-2011, 07:43 AM
There was a time when Appreciation Marketing was simply what business people, sales people and marketers did. The idea that someone who wanted to stay in business didn't show their appreciation to clients, customers, distributors, buyers and others we do business with was considered just plain rude. I'm sure many people in business were glad some didn't do it though, because they knew that competitor wouldn't last long.

But we now live in a day when less than 5% of people who do business with others show any kind of appreciation beyond a verbal "Thank you" at the end of a transaction... many even seem to think that's too much to ask.

It's gotten to the point that we now have books, consultants and trainers, teaching business people what our counterparts of days passed just naturally did.

We call it Appreciation Marketing, but the emphasis is strongly placed on the Appreciation, the Marketing part is just the fact we're training and advising people in the free market.

After all, the goods and services we provide is what we do... but what we really sell is emotion!

Business Attorney
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I think showing appreciation is very important but I have mixed feelings about how it is often done. In my early years of practice, for almost the whole month of December our office was filled with gifts from nearly every supplier/vendor we worked with and even from some clients -- candy, cookies, fruit baskets, cheese trays, calendars, you name it. Of course, there were also literally hundreds of holiday cards. The problem is that when everyone is doing it, nothing about it makes you feel especially appreciated. At the end of the season, I couldn't even tell you who sent a card or gift unless it was a highly unusual card or gift that stood out from the crowd. Even that advantage wouldn't last long. The first person to send a gift basket instead of a box of cookies or candy stood out but the next year there would be 6 gift baskets.

Now I get probably a quarter of the holiday cards that I used to get. Most of them are "personalized" with the name of the sender printed on the inside of the card, my name and address printed by a computer on the outside and no evidence that a human being even touched the card. That doesn't make me feel particularly appreciated.

I show appreciation to clients in different ways that hopefully are meaningful to the particular client - lunch, dinner, a sporting event or social event, or making a contribution to a charity that they are involved with. But that kind of intensive attention (and expense) cannot be justified for every client that comes through the door, so I am always looking for simple ways to say "thank you" for even the small matter. In this age of email, in many cases a simple thank you in writing sets you apart.

KristineS
10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I think sometimes a simple thank you can be enough, if it's meant sincerely. One thing that is nice to get, and doesn't often happen anymore, is a handwritten thank you note. I was raised to write thank you notes and I don't do it as often as I should. It is a personal item that someone took time to write.

I do believe you have to be more creative in how you express your appreciation these days. As David pointed out, if everyone is sending candy and popcorn and gift baskets, the appreciation part quickly gets lost.

MostHeather
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I remember when Google used to send out gifts to their publishers many years ago. They stopped doing that in lieu of contributing to a charity. No more lavalamps for publishers!

greenoak
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
i do it automatically and sporadically and sincerely...dont think i ever would have needed trained for it.... an old way to say it is ...throw the dog a bone.... ... always good to hear ways others do it tho...

KerryAll
10-26-2011, 08:28 AM
A short handwritten note card (no printed text, just use a blank card) saying something as simple as "Thank you, I appreciate your trust in our company" will bring them back 95% of the time. Some will say "Can I afford to take the time to do this?" and I will answer "Can your business afford not to?".

ParaTed2k
10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Now I get probably a quarter of the holiday cards that I used to get. Most of them are "personalized" with the name of the sender printed on the inside of the card, my name and address printed by a computer on the outside and no evidence that a human being even touched the card. That doesn't make me feel particularly appreciated.

I show appreciation to clients in different ways that hopefully are meaningful to the particular client - lunch, dinner, a sporting event or social event, or making a contribution to a charity that they are involved with. But that kind of intensive attention (and expense) cannot be justified for every client that comes through the door, so I am always looking for simple ways to say "thank you" for even the small matter. In this age of email, in many cases a simple thank you in writing sets you apart.

Oh, David, Absolutely! The fact "personalized" has come to mean THEIR name and information is one of the many reasons I'm doing what I do. "Personalized" should mean YOUR name, YOUR picture... You already know whose sending the card, gift, or whatever. Wouldn't it be nice to know they actually knew you YOU are when they sent it? :~D

ParaTed2k
10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I think sometimes a simple thank you can be enough, if it's meant sincerely. One thing that is nice to get, and doesn't often happen anymore, is a handwritten thank you note. I was raised to write thank you notes and I don't do it as often as I should. It is a personal item that someone took time to write.

I do believe you have to be more creative in how you express your appreciation these days. As David pointed out, if everyone is sending candy and popcorn and gift baskets, the appreciation part quickly gets lost.

Oh, I'll never diminish the importance of the words "Thank You". In fact, if those words are left out of the transaction, I don't think any follow on Appreciation Marketing would do any good.

But never underestimate the importance of the follow on. The goal of any business is to become preferred by the most people in the business's market. Limiting positive exposure to the short time you're actually face to face (or phone to phone.. etc) limits the opportunity for becoming preferred.

Of course, there is also the problem of overkill... which almost always works against anyone.

ParaTed2k
10-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I remember when Google used to send out gifts to their publishers many years ago. They stopped doing that in lieu of contributing to a charity. No more lavalamps for publishers!

Heather, that could also backfire. I don't know how appreciative I'd be if Google's contribution went to something I didn't agree with. ;~D

Also, while I agree with their concept, their execution isn't so good. Generic gifts are almost worse than nothing at all. ;~D

ParaTed2k
10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
i do it automatically and sporadically and sincerely...dont think i ever would have needed trained for it.... an old way to say it is ...throw the dog a bone.... ... always good to hear ways others do it tho...
Ann, yes, some people don't need training.. but the more I read and listen to the experiences of people, the more I'm convinced that most people do need training. Which is why I became a trainer. :~)

greenoak
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
i would try and train to be kind of spontaneous.... an obvious robotic program wouldnt be good.... i like your ideas of sending a little present..

billbenson
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I spent 22 years in the old days doing field sales. We had give aways, companies sent out Christmas gifts etc. The only people who could care less about the give always were the secretaries. I don't think any of them had any impact on sales. We did golf excursions to pebble beach, Hawaii; Those had impact, not because of the opportunity to go to Pebble Beach and play golf; it gave you committed face time with your customers to sell. Just like buying customers lunch or even a fancy dinner. It's a dedicated selling opportunity. A time to make friends with your customers. All things being equal (price, quality etc), people will buy from their friends. Face time is a time to sell and make friends.

Now I can see it if your Christmas card or gift acts as a flier or fridge magnet. But it doesn't appear to me that, that is the focus of "Appreciation Marketing" in this thread.

If you buy something in a retail store and the clerk is nice, you will want to go back. If they are rude you won't want to. But that's not appreciation, that's courtesy, salesmanship... Thank you is a common courtesy, but I don't see it as anything more.

ParaTed2k
10-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Bill, which means give aways don't automatically equate to appreciation, right? Few feel appreciated by being lumped in together with everyone else. Which is what we tell the people with whom we do business when they get generic "one size fits all" gifts. Those may have worked in the past, but well, not anymore... as your examples show.