PDA

View Full Version : Shopp ecommerce angst..... need help

LindaDuyer
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Forgive me if I grrrrrr a lot at the moment. And I may figure this out before there's a response.... or not.

I just purchased Shopp online to use with my WordPress website. I downloaded the files, installed them on my WordPress website. Apparently that key mentioned in the sales receipt email I somehow need to use to activate this puppy. But I don't know how to do this.... and there's no phone number to call, and the help section requires a long response time. .... Can anyone tell me what I need to do, how to use this activation key? (yes, my ignorance shows)

So close, yet so far.......

Thanks.

Linda

vangogh
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't worry I'll walk you through it. Shopp actually works without that key. You need it in order to be able to stay up to date with upgrades. You said you uploaded the files and the plugin is installed. I'll assume that's all you've done so far, but feel free to skip ahead if you've done any of the steps below.

1. Login to the WordPress admin

2. When any plugins is installed it has to be activated. This is a WordPress thing and not a Shopp thing. Once logged in to the admin look for the menu on the left for plugins. Click Plugins and you should see a list of all the plugins you've installed. At the top of the page there are some links for

All | Active | Inactive | Upgrade Available

You should be at All by default, but if not you can click it or the inactive link. Once you find Shopp in the list you should see a link below it's name to Activate. Click that link, wait a moment and Shopp will be activated.

3. The key you received is an upgrade key. Shopp will work without it, but you won't be able to install the additional addons or upgrade the plugin. Now that the Shopp plugin has been activated you should see a menu on the left for Shopp. Click Shopp and then look below for the Shopp Settings link. At the top of the Settings page there's a box to enter an update key. Enter your key and click the button to activate the key and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you have an issues.

LindaDuyer
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
The "Shopp" plugin looks activated (has the deactivate/edit prompt still there).... but there's a pink message below it saying "Your Shopp key has not been activated. Feel free to purchase a Shopp key to get access to automatic updates and official support services."

And on the left side of the dashboard there is nothing new, the settings is still there, but no section for Shopp. So, I don't know how to activate the key as it says. Now, I didn't upload the USPS addon I purchased (it was the only addon I purchased at this time).

When I purchased, I got two emails --- one from Shopp with the receipt and some key and prompts to download the two files. The second email and included my login ID, my password, and some sort of WordPress profile page link from Shopp, which I've viewed and updated a little.

Any thoughts?

vangogh
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM
You have to enter the key into the Shopp settings. See my step 3 above. The login id and passwords should be for gaining access to the Shopp support forums and ticketing system.

LindaDuyer
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm an idiot..... at first I didn't see the Shopp menu. Sheesh. But I'm on my way! Thanks!

Linda

vangogh
10-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Funny. Don't feel stupid though. Believe me I've made the same kinds of mistakes plenty of times. It's only obvious after you know.

LindaDuyer
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Alrighty........... I've experimented adding products.
I'm having problems with the images. On the catalog page, the small images look just fine. When on the website you click to view the full detail of the item (I'm selling books), the image, now larger, doesn't quite fit in the box. Why is that?

I didn't know if that had to do with the edit page. Where it says "double-click images to edit their details," I get first a blank square which quickly switches to a wide full-page-width white box with nothing in it.

What am I doing wrong?

Linda

vangogh
10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I would need to see the site to really know. Could you post a link here or send it to me in a PM?

My guess is that the larger images are too large for the box that's been styled either in the theme or more likely Shopp. The way to fix it would be either to find and edit the css or html controlling the size of the box or change the size of the images you uploaded. I want to say you had to resave something in Shopp when you change image sizes, but I can't remember. I haven't had to deal with images much using Shopp and I tend to edit the files directly.

billbenson
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
If memory services me correctly, one image is is loaded in when you add a product. They are stored in the db, not an image file, as small, medium, and large images. I'm assuming php is resizing the images and saving each one individually to the db. I know I have seen some distorted images in shopp. It could be a setting thing or you may be how shop does the resizing. You may have to be sure all images are square and within certain parameters in other words.

LindaDuyer
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Thank you both!

The link to my website is: http://publishdelmarva.com

Vangogh, I was going to send the link in a PM to you, but decided to put it here in case both responders wanted to look at it. The "Shop" page is temporary at the moment, for you to view. But anything you can suggest, I appreciate. And feel free to PM me if you like.

Linda

billbenson
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
You have some server or setup issues. Until those are resolved its hard to give advice. I'll defer to Vangogh as he is the Shopp / Wordpress expert here. There may be some size restrictions on your images though. They definately don't need to be square though as I suggested earlier in this thread Rectangular images work as well.

LindaDuyer
10-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you for looking at the site and offering your insights, Bill. I'll take another look at the image sizes.

vangogh
10-26-2011, 01:27 AM
The site isn't loading for me either at the moment. I'll try again in the morning.

Have you put in a ticket with Shopp? I know they sometimes take a couple of days to respond, but they'll have the best answers. They've been good about helping me when I had questions.

LindaDuyer
10-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, it seems I was having two problems.... one with the domain hosting and that got fixed (switching to Linyx), and at the same time I needed to upgrade my browser, and things seem better. But I will need to fix the images a little.

But another question....... the font for the sale items (books) in the Shopp catalog page is a bit large. At first I thought that was from my theme (I created my theme using artisteer), but that font doesn't appear in my theme. Is that something I can change through the Shopp settings or something? I couldn't see where I could make the gray fonts a bit smaller. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Linda

vangogh
10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I can see your site now. :)

I'm not sure if this will fix it, but it's something you can try. On the Shopp Settings page there's a link at the top for Presentation. One of the options on that page is to Enable Theme Templates. Check the box. It should then use your theme to style the page instead of using the Shopp files. If that doesn't work then it probably means one of the css files (either the theme or Shopp) needs to be edited by hand.