PDA

View Full Version : you find a warm potential client...now what?

huggytree
10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
im in the process of calling every builder/remodeler in the area right now

i am keeping a list of all the receptive ones

i have 1 so far in particular that is not happy with his current plumber, so he's RED HOT!

in the past i typically compile a list of 10 or so warm leads....but most of the time they dwindle to nothing....typically i call a few times, but end up with a machine

the 1 i have so far i am planning on calling monthly and sending a flier once a month...probably for 6 months

i assume most of those 'warm' leads ive had in the past were just people being nice to me and never were really 'warm'

after a few weeks maybe i should call and ask for a lunch meeting?

there's a fine line between being annoying and being aggressive

billbenson
10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
When I got meetings in my field sales days, I always tried to set them for 11:30. That way you are almost guaranteed a lunch meeting without ever mentioning that on the phone. Something like "do you have a few minutes we could talk on Thursday" Customer "yes". You: 'how about 11:30"?

I've always gone by the philosophy "make friends with your customers and your customers will buy from their friends all things being equal". The lunch is for making friends, not a gift.

huggytree
10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
they are almost always too busy for lunch...ive tried this and do agree its the best approach....i figure they are 'too busy' because they arent really interested most of the time...

whenever i get a warm lead with 'promised' future contact they always just die off....ill call back in a month and they dont answer and dont call back when i leave a msg

orion_joel
10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I do not know where or why but just as I was reading you post HT this thought came to mind.

The leads that are warm, rather then just talk and look at calling back in a month to them, put something actionable in front of them right away. Something that is almost impossible for them to say no to. Something that will get you physically in front of them. Something you can show what you do best.

The thought that came to mind for this was literally offer them your services. Personally in their own home. Now depending on what your schedule of course would dictate just how you offer this. One thing that came to mind, was asking them if they had anything in their own home that needed looking at plumbing wise. If they do, offer something like 2 hours free labour just pay the parts. Or No call out and 50% off the labour and parts at cost.

Yes it might cost you a little time and no income on those hours work. However this can be marked up to marketing costs. But it achieves three things. 1. You get yourself in front of the potential client. 2. They get to see your work first hand in their own home. 3. You get the opportunity to leave your sticker in the normal locations in their home.

This could work well for you, because I imagine that at times many builders would get work done on their own home, by the people that do work for them. I mean if it was me i would be asking the people that i knew and worked with the do the work, of course i would be expecting to pay for it, but i wonder how many plumbers might never get round to helping out the guy that pays them for the work they do, thinking it will not ever generate revenue for them.

Just a thought, even if this doesn't work for you it may give you some ideas on how to take more advantage of the opportunity while you are on the phone that first time.

huggytree
10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
your idea is original....definitely something i wouldnt have thought of

when im DEAD slow like i am right now id probably do it too

the issue i see is how to approach it....first off most of the 'warm' customers typically dont answer the phone, so anything id offer would be through voice mail....its a bit over aggressive and im not sure what reaction id get

any thoughts from anyone else???

orion_joel
11-03-2011, 08:44 AM
HT, I was thinking it is something you offer the first time you are on the phone with them. At that point you get the instinct that says they are a warm lead.

Your other option if you see leaving the message on voice mail a little aggressive, is create a voucher. Something that you will offer just to that person, personalize it with their name, and mail it to them. The printing and a stamp might be a little more then a phone call, however may be a better way to get in front of them. Do a search on the internet for tips on how to get people to open mail (if you are thinking they will just bin it) things like address it by hand, and use envelopes that don't conform to normal business letter size, make it look for personal.

Maybe even be a bit cheeky and send the voucher to a partner, say the builder is a guy, send the voucher to his wife. Make it appear as a gift. I wonder just how often for example a builder has something wrong with the plumbing or electrical or something, and the wife wants it fixed but he keeps saying he will get his guy to fix it but it never happens.

Just some thoughts.