PDA

View Full Version : @ Steve B

billbenson
10-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Steve, do you have experience with bark collars for small dogs? My Silky Terrier all of a sudden is getting real bad at barking. Started after we baby sat a neighbors dachshund. A shock type bark collar worked great on my boxer a few years back. Its to big for a nine pound dog though. It seems from searching that the PetSafe PBC-302 is small enough. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

Steve B
10-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Unfortunately, my only recomendation is to stay away from that Petsafe model. I had 3 different clients give it a try and each one of them ended up getting their money back. I haven't looked in a long time, but I don't think there are any other small models available for the little dogs.

However, I know a training technique that will stop the barking on command. This will be all you need as long as the problem isn't barking when you're not around.

Give me a call 502-314-7398 and I can walk you through it.

billbenson
10-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks steve. I'll give you a call in a bit.

huggytree
10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
one of my neighbors had the bark cut out....now the dog just makes gasping sounds when he tries to bark...its a bit strange

i like to tell one of my daughters that talks a lot that im considering that operation for her

billbenson
10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
one of my neighbors had the bark cut out....now the dog just makes gasping sounds when he tries to bark...its a bit strange

i like to tell one of my daughters that talks a lot that im considering that operation for her

Ya but you also have a shot gun in the back of your truck to go after competition that infringes on your trademark :)

MostHeather
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Cutting a dog's vocal chords is cruel. :( Boo to your neighbor for that..

huggytree
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Ya but you also have a shot gun in the back of your truck to go after competition that infringes on your trademark :)

1 day a week that statement is TRUE...i trap shoot once a week and carry a shotgun in my truck with me that whole day

WI concealed carry starts nov 1st...im ready to apply....i think 99% of construction workers are signing up...its all i hear on job sites these days...its extremely popular in my circles...so in a few weeks i probably will have a gun in my truck full time.

funny thing about the law is i can have a hand gun on my dash board, but my shot gun must be in a case / unloaded...

if i go crazy some day it wont be about infringement....i am a hard @ss on people who try to stick it to me though....i expect fair play from my competition

billbenson
10-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking about getting a concealed weapon permit in FL. Gotta take a class. My wife wants to take a gun class anyway. I shot in a 22 caliber rifle team in high school. I'm finding that the way I was trained is a lot different than self defense gun training today. A refresher on gun safety is never a bad thing.

huggytree
10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
if your not comfortable take a hunter safety class...thats about as basic as you can get

my wife took a 4 hour concealed class to qualify and it didnt teach her anything about using the gun...just the legal and mental things needed...no hands on

i have been a gun owner for 20 years and used to shoot handguns weekly...now i trap shoot weekly, but still can shoot a handgun extremely well even though i only go 2-3x a year now...

i like Glocks, but dont like the idea of a gun w/o a safety for concealed carry....many of the new guns have no safety lever.....if your excited or your gun snags on your clothes the trigger could be pulled....its just not for me....i plan on getting either a Kahr 9mm (they made 1 model that DOES have a safety)

i am considering a compact .45, but the one i want is $1,600 and is still heavy and bulky...one of my friends is going to carry one and WANTS it to show under his shirt...i dont want it to show, but prefer large calibers....

most of my hand guns are full size.....i do have a tiny Beretta .22 that is crazy small and can fit right in your front pocket....the wife will probably carry that one to start with...until she decides what she really wants....she also prefers large caliber hand guns, but cant pull back the slide on the small sub compacts...she doesnt want a full size gun on her hip since it may make her butt look too big.

if you need any advice on a hand gun choice im very knowledgeable..........im hoping the WI one gets me Florida, but i dont think so...Florida is on its own...i figure its because they want the $$ for their permit...

go for it! a free man owns a gun!

billbenson
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I was very knowledgeable when I was younger and shot a lot but haven't really shot much in 25 years. The good safety habits you learn kind of stay with you, but like anything the habit goes away if you don't use it. I have two protection firearms, a very concealable 380 and a protection 12 gauge. I'd like to buy a good quality 9mm if you have a recommendation. I really want it for my wife. We are in a pretty safe neighborhood, but I'd like her to be able to safely use a firearm if I'm not around. I'd also kind of like to buy a quality pellet gun. Hang a target in the back yard.

I've spent quite a bit of time with katana's which are the two handed Samurai types of swords.Trained, been to seminars etc. I keep a short one by the front door that is very sharp and would cut an arm off easily (Monty Python style). That would be the first thing I would grab if someone was breaking in. I use it to trim bushes to keep in practice :)

I don't think I'll get a concealed weapon permit, particularly based on what you said. I doubt I would carry a gun at any point. I have no reason to. Funny you mention hunting classes. They were far less stringent than target shooting classes when I learned. At least from a safety standpoint. I'd like my wife to be competent at self protection.

huggytree
10-22-2011, 12:17 PM
the problem with micro compact 9mm & .40 cal's is the springs are very strong (to handle the high power vs small size)...women cant pull back the slides...i even had a bit of trouble with it..

the Kahr 9mm is probably the best size vs caliber...they make a .40 also, but it doesnt have the option for a manual safety

my wife liked a Ruger 9mm...cant remember the name of it, but its their 2nd smallest one...it was still very small and yet something she could function...

i have a Glock 19 which is very small and gets you 15 rounds...its concealable and probably what i will be using until i purchase something smaller...there is no manual safety on Glocks though...they are fantastic guns though

how did a dog bark turn into a gun post?

billbenson
10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
how did a dog bark turn into a gun post?

Posts are weird that way :)

Steve B
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
It's kind of like the thread was "hijacked" ... at gunpoint. :)

huggytree
10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
It's kind of like the thread was "hijacked" ... at gunpoint. :)

since its already hijacked......Has work improved for you Steve?

im looking at only 11 days of work(some were 1-2 hours) all month and less than 60 hours total....definitely the worst month in 5 years.....nov/dec looks to be back to average.....not 1 homeowner call last week....its been very strange for months and Oct was the strangest....no one is spending...not even service work

my list of contractors was at 700 2 weeks ago...since ive started calling ive found 160 of them out of business so far....before im done with my cold calls i expect the list to be below 500......builders are going out of business like crazy around here

it appears to me like a 2nd recession, but the media isnt reporting it yet.......it may just be a local thing, but i was surprised to hear that your experiencing it too.....my solution is to get into commercial work even though the pay is very low.

Steve B
10-23-2011, 08:41 PM
It was also my worst Quarter since 2006 (my first year) so it wasn't just a bad September. October is looking O.K. but, it won't be great. My competitors have cut prices I think - and I haven't done that so that may be some of the cause.

The dog food delivery business was growing steadily for 24 months, then that leveled off back in May. The dog food thing is probably part economy and part I haven't figured out how to market that business yet. If Groupon will run us again, we'll get the curve going up again. I'm trying radio next (and for the first time ever).

huggytree
10-24-2011, 03:24 PM
let me know how the radio goes for you....cost vs result...ive considered it as an experiment

Sept was average for a Sept (typically sept. is a bit slow)

but Oct is typically ALL OUT busy....180-200 hours....getting only 60 is hard to take

Nov looks like it will be back to average, same with Dec

i will finish the year about $50,000 less than 2010....better than 2009...maybe last year was a fluke since i went up 45%...comparing 2009 w/ 2011 the increase is about 15% which is about the amount ive grown typically per year....my slow down started in July and other than Sept. has been unusually slow

i have started lowering my prices a bit....winter is here and im slow....i dont see a choice....