PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio pics too big? or just right

lav
10-29-2008, 05:04 AM
I started a blog a couple of weeks ago. Im probably not taking it as seriously as I should but anyway... Ive added a bit of a portfolio page with some examples of my latest work and I intend to add some more shortly. I have made the images quite large as I am always annoyed when I try to view some images on the web which always seem to be so small to see any detail. Im interested to hear if the majority think they are too big.

While we are at it Im also interested in what people (especially the designers here) think of my work.... Lately I have been having thoughts of getting out of the Design field and trying something else.... maybe try working in a mine or something :confused:... If I sold my print and sign businesses do think my work is good enough to get employed as a designer?

heres the portfolio page I have more to add soon (http://jasoncoe.com.au/?page_id=47)

vangogh
10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Jason, first the size of the images is perfect. It's funny. Before even looking at your blog and after reading your question my first thought was to use Lightbox to show the images. Funny that when I got to the site you were already using it.

The images do open on the large side. They are a little bigger than the available resolution of my monitor, but that's fine with me. Once I've clicked to see a larger version of an image I'm fine with it opening larger. It bugs me to no end to click for a larger image and discover an image that's still too small to be useful.

As for your second question, yes your work is good to get employment. I like your designs. My favorite by the way is Habitat Pavers. I like the textured background. Of course getting a job as a designer won't take you out of the design field. I'm not sure design skills are a prerequisite for working in a mine. I'm thinking the only requirement is a lack of claustrophobia.

Not that you should need my approval or anyone's really, but you do have the talent for design work.

cbscreative
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, they're big, but I agree that big is better than too small. You could possibly reduce them a little and use zoom effects, but I'll let others with smaller monitors comment on that. And I think you have plenty of talent. Based on other conversations, maybe what you need is more sales skill (sounds like you are questioning yourself). I don't think you lack anything in artistic talent. If you develop great sales skill, you are unstoppable.

the goat
10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah lav, you definitely have plenty of talent, go for it!

KristineS
10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I think the images are a nice size. They did open so that some of the image was below the fold on my monitor, but that wasn't any big deal.

Very nice work too.

Blessed
10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Keep up the good work. I think the pictures look good and I think you do quality design work as well.

Business Attorney
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I think the size is fine. It could be a bit smaller so there would be less scrolling, but it is not objectionably large.

I liked your designs, too. I think you show a lot of creativity.

David

lav
10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Based on other conversations, maybe what you need is more sales skill (sounds like you are questioning yourself). You have hit the nail on the head CBS. I am a s%#thouse sales person. I used to like dealing with clients but in the last couple of years I try to avoid it as much as possible. I have hired sales people to do the sales but they never last long, they leave because they cant put up with the customers any longer. I really dont blame them It can get you down. I like to think I charge a pretty fair rate for my design work but we are getting a lot of nasty responses when we give my customers a price estimation.

This brings me to another question. Do you think that because we are a print shop that people dont expect to pay as much if at all for graphic design?

vangogh
10-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I've noticed when it comes to design a lot of people think the design work should come free. I don't know if it's specifically related to being a print shop or not. Some of what you're seeing could be a run of bad people. Some people don't value design work, but there are plenty of people out there who do.

How are you marketing the business? Do you market on price? That brings out the people who are only interested in price. I've dealt with my fair share of people who were only concerned with spending as little as possible. I've learned to identify them as soon as I can in the process so I can move on to the people who are interested in value.

On the print side do you have something set up where people can upload a file of what they want printed and then pay you to print? That eliminates the direct sales, though it does turn it into customer support.

If you prefer to stop dealing directly with customers you probably need to change your business model from being service oriented to product oriented. You'll still have customers and will inevitably deal with support calls, but your site becomes the sales tool. You still have to work at it to increase sales, but you might like it more that way since a sale doesn't come down to the face-to-face contact.

If you want start a thread in one of the marketing forums. Give us some more detail on how you're marketing the business and where things go awry in the sales process. I'm sure someone here can come up with a few good suggestions.

Blessed
10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm sure that part of the problem with people reacting poorly to your design rates is that you are also a print shop - in my experience customers are more willing to pay a designer for doing design work than a print shop - is there any way you can "separate" the two entities?

lav
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
is there any way you can "separate" the two entities?Yeah that was the idea I had, and one of the reasons why Ive started jasoncoe.com.au (http://jasoncoe.com.au).

lav
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
OK Ive put some more pics on my portfolio page, now Im a little worried I have too many. I still have another section I want to do. Trust me it was hard enough cutting it down to this many. I will take some of these out and replace them with new stuff as I go.

Do you think it is wise to have it setup like this, I mean my blog as a portfolio site. I did think about building a fancy flash portfolio site but its too hard to get found. Im Lovin wordpress..... its soooo easy

vangogh
10-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it's fine to show that much work. You could have separate pages though for each section so it's not so much on one page.

I can't think of any reason not to use WordPress. You wouldn't be the only person usng it for your portfolio. My site is built on WordPress too and I agree with how easy it is to work with.

vangogh
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I just came across this post showcasing 15 portfolio themes for Wordpress (http://designm.ag/freelance/wordpress-portfolio-themes/). Thought you might be interested to see what others are doing and also to show that you aren't the only person using WordPress to display your portfolio.

Blessed
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the link Vangogh - since I plan on working on my site come December it's nice to be able to do a bit of research and see what other people are doing already!

vangogh
11-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Glad to help then. There are tons of deign galleries and posts along the lines of best themes and designs. If you need more for inspiration let me know. I have a lot bookmarked.

mr.ro
11-02-2008, 01:40 AM
yeah i think your pics are just fine. when I click on a link to in large it thats what I expect I hate it when it only zooms in a little. Your fine in my book.

I think your talent speaks for itself its there no questions asked. I really like the visage layout, and your layout for printedgreener as well.

I think you should keep using wordpress because if you make a flash site its gonna be harder to upload pics and stay motivated to do that. as well as you can get the job done with wp there is no need for flash if all your gonna be doing is showing your work. I hate it when sites take forever to load only to let me click on an image an zoom in on it. no need to reinvent the wheel

Jagella
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Jason, my only qualm with your portfolio page is that it's on the big side. Personally, I don't have a problem with the size, but some people may. Some designers teach that pages that need to be scrolled should be avoided. Of course, sometimes you can't avoid it especially with a portfolio page.

Have you investigated your competitors' sites? I think one of the best ways to come up with a good design for your site is to look at what the competition is doing. Ask yourself what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong. How can you do better than they?

Finally, did you research your target market? Doing so should give you a good idea about what they may want and don't want.

Don't feel bad about the mine job. Sometimes I feel like going back to math tutoring, but I've come to far in my design education to turn back now. :o

Jagella

vangogh
11-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Joe I wouldn't worry about pages that need to scroll vertically anymore. The advice is old. A few years ago it probably was wise not to make people scroll, but today most people are savvy enough to realize there's more to the page than what they see at first.

I'd avoid horizontal scrolling at all costs, but vertical scrolling shouldn't be an issue for most anymore.

Good idea to check competitor sites. I always start a new design by look at the competition and mining their sites for ideas. I want to see what they're all doing and even more what they aren't doing, but probably should be.

Jagella
11-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Steve:

Have you ever come up with a killer idea when checking a competitor's site? I'm referring to an idea that you think might give you or a client a big advantage over competitors. I've wondered if Amazon.com may have come up with its one-click ordering system that way.

Jagella

vangogh
11-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I can't say I've come up with a killer idea looking at competitor sites, but I have come up with ideas. A lot of the time it's simply noticing things I wouldn't have thought to include or to get a general sense of the design aesthetic of the industry or to discover something I would think obvious to include seems missing on most sites..

Looking through a bunch of sites does generate ideas, just haven't had the killer idea yet.