PDA

View Full Version : boy did i feel old...

greenoak
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
im on the phone with a client who is trying to see my stuff to see if she can justify flying in , renting a truck etc etc... to buy.......shes on my blog , looking at furniture, and talking about an item and says its right across from those 2 african american men.............that would be my picture of , sanford and son!!! on a post about junkers , and they are my icons for the a fun part junker world....
apparantly, she never heard of them....i guess they were from a lot of years ago....!!!!
shes coming...love that social media............
ann

orion_joel
10-26-2008, 02:54 AM
This i think is very common, there are many different people, places or things that come up in conversation that often you would expect someone to know but it just doesnt turn out that way.

greenoak
10-26-2008, 09:35 AM
.thats so true......for me it would be survivors or who danced with the stars or who was on oprah last week.....in the old days when there were just a few tv stations we kind of knew most of what was out there...
ann

KristineS
10-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I run into that sometimes and I'm not even 40 yet. I was talking with one of my designers once and I referenced the Six Million Dollar Man tv show. She didn't know what that was. It made me feel absolutely ancient.

orion_joel
10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Seriously i am 24 years old, and could not tell you anything about most any tv show. I have never watched Dancing with the stars, or most of the other reality TV shows. I could not even begin to guess anything about most TV shows, because i just don't know.

However while i cannot tell you anything about most of them, i know of their existence. The thing is i don't think that it really matters how old you are in relation to something, as much as how versed someone else is that may be younger. For example my brother is only 23, but he knows quite a lot of music prior to anything he would have naturally heard, but that is because he took the interest.

vangogh
10-27-2008, 02:46 AM
How can people not know Sanford and Son? Now I feel old It's even on again on Nick at Night or one of those channels showing old reruns.

I used to watch it when it was originally. If I'm remembering right Chico and the Man was on right after.

Evan
10-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I could not even begin to guess anything about most TV shows, because i just don't know.

I'm 21 and try to stay on top of what shows are on TV even though I very rarely watch TV. Still, I feel that if I don't stay up to date with what's "on" TV, then I'll really be clueless when people talk about TV shows.

Evan
10-27-2008, 11:26 PM
How can people not know Sanford and Son?

:eek: Oh boy.

vangogh
10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Evan I was just showing my age. Sanford and Son does show up on some of the cable channels still, though.

mr.ro
10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow I'm 23 and I have heard and watched most of the shows that ya'll are talking about. I guess it does have to do with background they have grew up in.

vangogh
10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
I think it mostly depends on how much tv you watch. Most every show that's every been on (at least the ones that lasted 3 or more years) are on in endless repeats somewhere. If you watch enough tv and have access to more than the networks, eventually every show comes in front of you at some point.

orion_joel
10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Evan, i believe that everyone should make their own choices in what they view or not. However i made the choice that i really want to watch very little, tv and really less then anything News, if i am in the room when someone else is watching i will hear the news headlines, however i don't go out of my way.

One thing i find by not watching any of the stuff on TV is that it can become a good conversation starter. Though, and tends to give more to talk about.

vangogh
10-29-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm not sure how not watching tv can give you more to talk about. Maybe more intelligent conversations. I guess if your taking the time you might have spent watching tv and broadening your horizons in some other way then it could give you more to talk about.

I'm of the generation that was babysat by the television. A few years back when I first moved to Colorado I didn't have one. I didn't bring one when I moved and didn't buy one when I arrived. I didn't miss it. I found plenty of other things to do. Then I one October I wanted to watch the World Series and borrowed a very small tv, that barely got any reception, from the backroom where I worked and I've been watching again ever since.

For me it's mostly background noise. I'm just so used to it that as long as the volume isn't too loud I barely notice it. I work to it the same way some people work with music on in the background. With music I sometimes have a hard time focusing on anything but the music, but tv I can easily ignore.

billbenson
10-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I watch tv for an hour or so as I'm falling asleep. In general, it bores me. Same with movies - even good ones. TV is usually running in the living room. During working hours I frequently get up to stretch my legs and watch it for 5 min while standing up. Usually on something you can walk away from though like the food channel. I like to cook but don't really have the time right now. I look at news headlines on cnn.com.

KristineS
10-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Television is escapism for me. I get in moods where I just want to sit and watch something. Those are pretty rare however. I have a few shows I really like and will go out of my way to watch, but for the most part I can give tv a miss.

I absolutely loathe reality television (Survivor and Big Brother and such) and think it is one of the worst things that ever happened to television. Why people want to watch other people being idiots on television is beyond me.